Holiday in Canada

Old April 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Default Holiday in Canada

macribo wrote:

I thank you very much for all your answers.
So you suggest us the round trip, Vancouver, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert,
Jasper, Banff and Vancouver.
You say that Yukon is far, and If I took a flight from Vancouver to Dawson
Creek ?
I don't understand if it is better British Columbia or Yukon.
About fishing salmon can you give any advive ?
I thank you very very much.

That's a lot of driving, but it is beautiful scenery out there.
As far as I can figure salmon are still in season at that time. Make sure
you get a fishing licence. They are a little pricey, but the fines for
fishing without one can be pretty steep, and they can seize your equipment,
including the car.
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"macribo" wrote in message
I thank you very much for all your answers.
So you suggest us the round trip, Vancouver, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert,
Jasper, Banff and Vancouver.
You say that Yukon is far, and If I took a flight from Vancouver to Dawson
Creek ?
I don't understand if it is better British Columbia or Yukon.
About fishing salmon can you give any advive ?
I thank you very very much.
Bye bye...see you soon !!!
Cristina

"Calif Bill" ha scritto nel messaggio
nk.net...

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
In article . net,
Calif Bill bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:

"Király" wrote in message
egroups.com...

I'd go with ininerary 2. The Yukon is a beautiful place for sure, but
it is so much farther than the Rockies and Okanagan that you'll be
spending so much more time in the car.

I also 2nd option 2. The drive From Whitehorse down is not as majestic
as
the Rocky Mountain portion.

I'm confused, guys. You both seem to be arguing against the OP going
to the Yukon, yet Itinerary 2 is the one that includes the Yukon.
Itinerary 1 is all in B.C. (except for Banff).

Patty

We are both bad. You are correct. Itinerary 1 is the preferred route.
I drove to Alaska last year, going up the Cassier and down the Alaska
Highway. Was under whelmed with the terrain. The Canadian Rockies are
much prettier.

Is a prettier drive to Banff than to the the Yukon. You can take an
overnight ferry to Prince Rupert and enjoy the trip, but nicer on the
return. Daylight section is prettier. You can fish for salmon all around
Victoria and Vancouver Island. Campbell river is still a good area.
Tofino, and Tahsis on the West side you will get both Salmon and Halibut.

Old April 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison

"macribo" wrote in message
Hi all, I'm from Italy and I'm planning with my husband our next holiday

in
Canada for the month of Agust from the 19th of Agust until the 9th of
September.
We bought a return ticket to Vancouver.
We like the wild country and my husband would like to go fishing salmon

too.
I read on my guide two itinerary but I don't know which one to choose.
1 itinerary :
Vancouver
Victoria
Port Hardy
Prince Rupert (inside passage)
Jasper
Banff
Yoho National Park
Okanagan Valley
Vancouver

2 itinerary:
Vancouver
Victoria
Port Hardy
Prince Rupert (inside passage)
Watson Lake
Whitehorse
Kluane National Park
back to Vancouver

Which one do you suggest us ?
I thank you very much.

Bye bye
From Cristina

I've never been to the Yukon or Vancouver Island so I cannot comment on
either of those. A few years ago we went Seattle/Vancouver/Clearwater (for
Wells Gray Park)/Jasper/Banff (well Canmore actually)/Golden/Revelstoke then
south down through Nakusp/Kaslo and back into the USA to Bonners Ferry (ID)
and Spokane where we left the car and flew to San Francisco. Trip was in
early July and took about 10 days.

Several highlights remain with me. Wells Gray park, even though we did
little more than drive in to the car park, hike the short distance to the
falls and hike out again. The Icefields highway and the glacier between
Jasper and Banff. The Lake at Lake Louise. Making the mistake of booking
motel next to the railway in Canmore. Finally, the drive south from
Revelstoke - almost no traffic, lovely scenery, having to use several
ferries to cross rivers etc and the little town of Kaslo which has a
restored stern wheel steamer tied up by the promenade. However, the main
highlight was simply the grandeur of the mountains.

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Király" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 27, 1:08 pm, "macribo" wrote:

1 itinerary :
Vancouver [...] Banff [...] Okanagan Valley [...] Vancouver

2 itinerary:
Vancouver [...] Watson Lake [...] Whitehorse [...] Vancouver

Which one do you suggest us ?

I'd go with ininerary 2. The Yukon is a beautiful place for sure, but
it is so much farther than the Rockies and Okanagan that you'll be
spending so much more time in the car. Be advised that the driving
distance between Vancouver and Whitehorse is 2,300 km, which is about
the same as from Milano to Tallinn!

Personally I'd suggest taking the Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Skagway
or Haines, its a beautiful trip and means you only drive the Alaska Highway
one way

Keith

Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

[...]

From Cristina

I'd go for option 1. The highway from Jasper to Banff is incredible.
There is a fine interpretation centre near the huge Columbia glacier
icefields that is a good orientation and then you can bus up on the
glacier. The "open jaw" from Calgary is a good idea but would mean
missing the drive along the Thompson and then Fraser canyons which
have famed whitewater sections where you can go river rafting. You
might want to consider a side trip to the Queen Charlotte Islands
which, in good weather, is a further 6 hour one way ferry ride to and
from Prince Rupert.

If you need to start getting specific advice on nice little places to
stay en route, or good eats, ask more. I have lived on Northern
Vancouver Island, the Queen Charlottes and, now, the less illustrious,
Prince George.