New RCL points

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default New RCL points

You might want to check them. The RCL website says we have only 29,
while our count is 33.
One 11 day, one 8 day and two 7s.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/21/2011 3:38 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
You might want to check them. The RCL website says we have only 29,
while our count is 33.
One 11 day, one 8 day and two 7s.

Yes mine is also broken. They show

Explorer Of The Seas 9 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise
Grandeur Of The Seas 9 Night Caribbean Cruise
Voyager Of The Seas 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise
Rhapsody Of The Seas 7-Night Gulf Of Alaska Northbound Cruise

And come up with 29 credits. I just called them. Apparently they
converted 4 cruises into 29 points, regardless of number of nights
(there is a converter on their site). He said "we did not want people to
end up with a lower status than the had before". I pointed out they
clearly did not want people to end up with a higher status, either (he
claimed there were a few cases where people ended up with a higher
status but I fail to see how that is possible). He said a few people had
called to complain and took my name and member number and said that they
were keeping track of people who had called. I intend to write as well.
I am very disappointed, I thought I'd finally get up to Platinum and
have reciprocal status on Celebrity.

Bill
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

I intend to write as well. I am very disappointed, I thought I'd
finally get up to Platinum and have reciprocal status on Celebrity.

What they did with your points is silly. They should have given you the
actual 32 points you cruised.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Default RCL makes their point

They told me that the cruise credits were multiplied by 7, regardless of
the length of cruises taken. If this is the case they owe us 1 point.

This system is more fair as many diamond+ members made it on 3/4 night
off-season cruises in inside cabins!

I knew they were working on improving the system, but pinnacle's don't
get anything that diamond + doesn't get, and the diamond lounge is still
overcrowded on most cruises.

At least the 100th cruise is still comp (+tax), but is not available on
holidays or on the Oasis or Allure. If the comp is only available in the
Caribbean, what happens when the Oasis & Allure are the only Caribbean
ships running in the summer from MIA & PEV to the Caribbean.

As the guy who created the first corporate loyalty program forty years
ago I think that RCI has done a great job in rewarding their loyal
customers.

They all told me a loyalty program would not work and now we all have
plastic cards from many businesses in our wallets, and the doomsayers
all say that it was their idea!

Inspector Gadget

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/21/2011 7:12 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Some how I wound up with 13 extra credits over the number of nights at
sea. I'm not complaining.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article m, Janet
Wilder wrote:

Some how I wound up with 13 extra credits over the number of nights at
sea. I'm not complaining.

I got the 13 points, that is how they converted them for those with 8
or more cruises to make sure they were grandfathered in to the same
level. For me it is a wash since it would take about the same number of
additional cruises as before to move up to Diamond Plus.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Gadget
World wrote:

They told me that the cruise credits were multiplied by 7, regardless of
the length of cruises taken. If this is the case they owe us 1 point.

That is not how they did it. There were different conversion multiples
depending how many cruises you had taken.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Charles wrote:

In article m, Janet
Wilder wrote:

Some how I wound up with 13 extra credits over the number of nights at
sea. I'm not complaining.

I got the 13 points, that is how they converted them for those with 8
or more cruises to make sure they were grandfathered in to the same
level. For me it is a wash since it would take about the same number of
additional cruises as before to move up to Diamond Plus.

Seems like they are going to PO a lot of people for no reason. Like me,
for instance, who qualifies for platinum. It would have been trivial to
program the computers to count the new points, figure out the status and
then do and if-then or similar function where if new status is old
status, make it new status. If new status old status, do nothing.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Seems like they are going to PO a lot of people for no reason. Like me,
for instance, who qualifies for platinum. It would have been trivial to
program the computers to count the new points, figure out the status and
then do and if-then or similar function where if new status is old
status, make it new status. If new status old status, do nothing.

You never know with the cruise lines but given past history I think Royal
will fix it for those like you and Bill after a bunch of complaints.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/22/2011 10:18 AM, Charles wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Seems like they are going to PO a lot of people for no reason. Like me,
for instance, who qualifies for platinum. It would have been trivial to
program the computers to count the new points, figure out the status and
then do and if-then or similar function where if new status is old
status, make it new status. If new status old status, do nothing.

You never know with the cruise lines but given past history I think Royal
will fix it for those like you and Bill after a bunch of complaints.

The wording reminded me of what they were saying when people called to
complain about the initial set of fuel surcharges (and how you could
have avoided them if given a day's notice to pay in full). Of course, in
that case they only changed their mind after the Florida AG came after them.

It appears that the formula was designed to make sure that they gave as
few status upgrades as possible when doing the conversion. The rep on
the phone said that he had seen rare cases where it worked out for
people but I think Kurt's and my cases are much more common.

On the RCI Facebook page there are lots of people complaining. The
biggest losers here are the people who were doing B2B 3/4 day cruises to
get extra credits (and had future cruises booked). Obviously the new
plan is designed to stop people from doing that.

Bill