cell phone calls

Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

Default cell phone calls

I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.
Thanks,
Marsha
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/21/2011 6:37 PM, MAS wrote:
I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.
Thanks,
Marsha

You need to talk to Page Plus. I know Verizon charges 99 cents a minute
in Cozumel and $1.99, IIRC, in Georgetown and Montego Bay (should be the
same for Falmouth). I didn't get a price on Labadee.

Just because Page Plus is using Verizon's towers in the US, does not
mean it has contracts with foreign towers like Verizon has. You really
need to talk to Page Plus, Marsha.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gettamulla Tupya[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:37:37 -0500, MAS wrote:

I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.

Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home? When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they can email me.

I check my email when I return home.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/22/2011 6:27 AM, Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home? When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they can email me.

I check my email when I return home.

Why do you propose to know anything about my home situation and who I
might need to touch base with because of an illness?

Marsha
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Gettamulla
Tupya wrote:

Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home?
When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they can
email me.

I check my email when I return home.

If that works for you fine. The reason is that many of us have a life
at home and need to, or want to, maintain contact.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , MAS wrote:

I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.

As Janet mentioned you need to contact Page Plus. I looked on their web
site and it says supported international roaming countries are Bermuda,
Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin islands. So Cozumel would be
the only port it will work on at $1.10 a minute if that is an accurate
list on their site. Also no mention of cruise ship s so probably not
there either.

If you have to have phone service I suggest either signing up with
AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or getting an international calling
card for making calls at the ports from land lines.

Also no land lines at Labadee. Don't know about cell service as I never
turned my phone on there.

--
Charles

Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/22/2011 9:26 AM, Charles wrote:
In , wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Charles. My friend's phone is through one of those major
companies you mentioned and she is checking into where she will have
coverage. I will get an international calling card. We should be fine.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Charles wrote:

In article , Gettamulla
Tupya wrote:

Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home?
When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they
can
email me.

I check my email when I return home.

If that works for you fine. The reason is that many of us have a life
at home and need to, or want to, maintain contact.

I am tending toward letting people decide for themselves how much
they need to stay in touch with home. About the only REALLY over the top
instance was the guy at the next table who talked the whole time we were
in the premium restaraunt.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/22/2011 9:51 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In alid,
wrote:

In , Gettamulla
wrote:

Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home?
When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they
can
email me.

I check my email when I return home.

If that works for you fine. The reason is that many of us have a life
at home and need to, or want to, maintain contact.

I am tending toward letting people decide for themselves how much
they need to stay in touch with home. About the only REALLY over the top
instance was the guy at the next table who talked the whole time we were
in the premium restaraunt.

No matter where you are, common courtesy should apply when using your
cell phone.

Marsha