cell phone calls

Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default cell phone calls

In article , MAS wrote:

No matter where you are, common courtesy should apply when using your
cell phone.

And it wasn't even an interesting conversation. The least he could
would to be entertaining (grin).

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/22/2011 8:26 AM, Charles wrote:
In , wrote:

I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.

As Janet mentioned you need to contact Page Plus. I looked on their web
site and it says supported international roaming countries are Bermuda,
Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin islands. So Cozumel would be
the only port it will work on at $1.10 a minute if that is an accurate
list on their site. Also no mention of cruise ship s so probably not
there either.

If you have to have phone service I suggest either signing up with
AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or getting an international calling
card for making calls at the ports from land lines.

Are you kidding? They all require contracts.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/22/2011 8:51 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In alid,
wrote:

In , Gettamulla
wrote:

Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home?
When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they
can
email me.

I check my email when I return home.

If that works for you fine. The reason is that many of us have a life
at home and need to, or want to, maintain contact.

I am tending toward letting people decide for themselves how much
they need to stay in touch with home. About the only REALLY over the top
instance was the guy at the next table who talked the whole time we were
in the premium restaraunt.

I never turn my phone on during a cruise, but on the last one, a dear
friend was having serious surgery and I really needed to know how she
fared for my own peace of mind. Worrying about her status would have
ruined my cruise.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article om, Janet
Wilder wrote:

Are you kidding? They all require contracts.

Yes, they likely do require contracts. Those other carriers do have pre
paid plans, I have not checked to see if any of them allow
international roaming. It is a matter of deciding priorities and
tradeoffs. That is why I said "If you have to have......" If the Page
Plus service can't do it then she will have to do something else if she
has to have phone service.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

In , wrote:

I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.

As Janet mentioned you need to contact Page Plus. I looked on their web
site and it says supported international roaming countries are Bermuda,
Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin islands. So Cozumel would be
the only port it will work on at $1.10 a minute if that is an accurate
list on their site. Also no mention of cruise ship s so probably not
there either.

If you have to have phone service I suggest either signing up with
AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or getting an international calling
card for making calls at the ports from land lines.

Are you kidding? They all require contracts.

On Verizon's site, I saw a plan that doesn't have a contract. They
charge 0.25 per minute (plus roaming) for their network.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , MAS wrote:

n Verizon's site, I saw a plan that doesn't have a contract. They
charge 0.25 per minute (plus roaming) for their network.

The Verizon International roaming on their pre paid plans is limited to
the same countries as Page Plus.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/21/11 7:37 PM, MAS wrote:
I have a Page Plus phone (no contract and uses the Verizon network).
What are my options for making calls in Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown
and Cozumel? From past posts, calling from the ship is expensive.
Thanks,
Marsha

Don't call from the ship or from ports, TEXT MESSAGE from the ship.
Incoming texts are 5 cents. Outgoing texts are either 25 cents or 50
cents. That's the cheapest way to stay in touch with those back home.

If you have to call, you should call Verizon first, and see what their
prices are for each location. Just guessing, Mexico will probably be
the cheapest.

--Tom

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Kurt
Ullman wrote:

I am tending toward letting people decide for themselves how much
they need to stay in touch with home. About the only REALLY over the top
instance was the guy at the next table who talked the whole time we were
in the premium restaraunt.

I have never run into that on a cruise yet. Likely because using the
phone on a ship is so expensive. I expect if the price came down there
would be a lot more of that.

--
Charles
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ema Nymton

On 1/22/2011 5:27 AM, Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
Why is it that people take a short break and feel the need to ring home? When I cruise, I
*NEVER* take a phone with me. I tell people if they really want me, they can email me.

I check my email when I return home.

It is wonderful if you do not have to call home, that means you get a
restful vacation without having to worry about a thing.

Some of us have children at home, and I have an elderly mother who is
tickled pink when I call her to say I am drinking a pina colada in St.
Maarten. It only costs about 5 minutes of my time, and it means the
world to her. I also have a business, so sometimes I have to make a
couple of calls. The rest of the time, I enjoy my vacation and I
pretend that I have no problems.