cell phone calls

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default cell phone calls

I take my cell phone with me on a cruise in case of an emergency,have no
one at home that needs to call me. It is only for my benefit, and no one
elses

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

When on a cruise my cell phone stays in the safe in my cabin. Have never
had to use it,and back here at home i have only used it 3 times,and that
was just to check and make sure it was working.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/22/2011 3:44 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
I take my cell phone with me on a cruise in case of an emergency,have no
one at home that needs to call me. It is only for my benefit, and no one
elses

I have a global phone so I can use Verizon in Europe. I had my phone
with me two years ago when DH got sick and we had to get off the ship in
Palermo, Sicily while he was in the hospital. I will never travel
without a phone. You never know when an emergency can happen.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/22/11 6:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 1/22/2011 3:44 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
I take my cell phone with me on a cruise in case of an emergency,have no
one at home that needs to call me. It is only for my benefit, and no one
elses

I have a global phone so I can use Verizon in Europe. I had my phone
with me two years ago when DH got sick and we had to get off the ship in
Palermo, Sicily while he was in the hospital. I will never travel
without a phone. You never know when an emergency can happen.

I Europe it would likely be Vodafone that you're connecting to.
Actually Vodafone and Verizon Corp co-own Verizon wireless last time I
looked.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/22/2011 5:32 PM, Tom K wrote:
On 1/22/11 6:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 1/22/2011 3:44 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
I take my cell phone with me on a cruise in case of an emergency,have no
one at home that needs to call me. It is only for my benefit, and no one
elses

I have a global phone so I can use Verizon in Europe. I had my phone
with me two years ago when DH got sick and we had to get off the ship in
Palermo, Sicily while he was in the hospital. I will never travel
without a phone. You never know when an emergency can happen.

I Europe it would likely be Vodafone that you're connecting to. Actually
Vodafone and Verizon Corp co-own Verizon wireless last time I looked.

It was Vodaphone, but I was also able to roam off another Sicilian
company, too. I am aware that Vodaphone and Verizon are partners.

I'm going to have to activate the global phone for my trip to Russia in
June and I know I'll hate being without my Android.

Old January 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:23:22 -0600, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 1/22/2011 3:44 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
I take my cell phone with me on a cruise in case of an emergency,have no
one at home that needs to call me. It is only for my benefit, and no one
elses

I have a global phone so I can use Verizon in Europe. I had my phone
with me two years ago when DH got sick and we had to get off the ship in
Palermo, Sicily while he was in the hospital. I will never travel
without a phone. You never know when an emergency can happen.

It irritates my kids, but I don't use a cell phone except to make long
distance calls or for emergencies when I'm not at home, and I don't
have it on unless I'm calling. I do check before I leave to see
whether I will be able to use the phone if I need to in the various
locations I will visit. I also sometimes use it once I get back to
arrange transportation or something of the sort.

When we were cruising on our own boat, I would 'file a float plan"
(i.e. tell someone where we were going to be and at what time) each
evening. In plain English, I would phone our son each evening and
tell him where we were - that. we had arrived safely and where we
intended to go the following day and what time we expected to get
there. He had the information on our boat so that if we didn't call
the following day as expected, he could notify the Coast Guard that we
were overdue. I had an old analog bag phone and an antenna at the top
of the mast - but can't really do that anymore since all the phones
have gone digital - I just don't get a signal in a lot of places on
the new phones..

Anyway I also wrote emails to my mother and children about what we
were doing and would send them when I got an internet connection.

I don't file a float plan for the cruise ships, but I do still write a
nightly email. They don't have to read it if they don't want to, but
it helps me to keep my thoughts organized.