Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:36 AM
RTCReferee

Tom K wrote:

"RTCReferee" wrote in message

I'd like to see the quality go back to what it was 5-8 years
ago, and I'd be happy to pay 20-50% more.

Crystal.

--Tom

Where have you seen a good cabin that you can select ahead of time (and at
least OV, higher than promenade deck) on Crystal go for around
$ 165 per day per person not in the Caribbean?

The most we've paid each on our last three cruises (Star Princess, HAL Veendam
and Celebrity Mercury) for those accomodations was $ 115 each per day. Two of
those three cruises were in balcony cabins.
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Lee

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...

Personally I would be more concerned with the 11 dogs on Princess getting
along than I would their interaction with the other passengers.

For people travelling with service dogs, sure...they have to consider
how multiple dogs will react to each other (frankly, I'm surprised
that service dogs aren't trained to get along with other service
dogs).

I don't really question how the dogs will "interract" with other
passengers. I'm sure they're all friendly, and when allowed the
opportunity, will be very tolerant of all those hands coming at them
from the passengers.

And, I understand alpha dog politics - we're working on that issue
right now at our house, with the addition of a new male.

If I were someone deathly allergic to dogs, I wouldn't care a bit
about either the dog's congeniality with people or with other dogs.
All I'd care about is whether or not I'll be able to breath while on
vacation.

Lee

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:15 PM
RTCReferee

(Lee) wrote:

If I were someone deathly allergic to dogs, I wouldn't care a bit
about either the dog's congeniality with people or with other dogs.
All I'd care about is whether or not I'll be able to breath while on
vacation.

Neither would I.

I was fortunate in that I was raised with various critters from a young age. I
have had dogs and cats most of my life. I am not allergic to cats, dogs, or
anything I had as a pet, or any animal to which I was frequently exposed, as
far as I know.

There's a growing body of evidence that suggests having animals around most
very young children may help them avoid asthma in the future. That's fine, but
many people were not raised with any animals at all and of those, many do have
sensitivities to animals. I have several members in my family who have asthma,
and while they are unlikely to die in the presence of animals (dogs, cats,
usually), they are miserable. They have trouble breathing, their eyes water,
they get headaches, their nasal passages are blocked. They can't stay in "pet
friendly" hotels, either, because the airborne allergens, those that are in the
carpet, possibly the bedding, etc. remain. Of course, they don't know when a
service animal has been in a regular room and they can have problems that way,
too, no matter how clean the animal is.

From the Asthma and Allergic Diseases Center, University of Virginia: "Animals
release proteins into their surroundings through secretions, as excretions, or
as dander....For cats and dogs, the accumulation of dander particles is not
related to the cleanliness of the animals."

It seems fair to me that places where people sleep, whether they are rooms in
hotels or cabins on ships, ought to be labeled as "animal OK" or "no animals,
period, at any time, for any reason." There should at the least be a good
portion of rooms where an allergic person can be absolutely certain no pet or
service animal has stayed, and that the bedding, etc. in that room has not been
exposed to animal dander.

Hotels and ships have handicapped or "accessible" rooms. There ought to be
"asthma-safe" rooms, too. I don't know ADA rules, but it seems to me that
those with asthma need to be a protected class every bit as much as those with
service animals. There may be more people who have asthma (a disease which is
growing in the U.S.) than who use wheelchairs or scooters. And there are
likely physically disabled people who have asthma.
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Dillon Pyron

On 7 Sep 2004 07:29:27 -0700, (Lee) wrote:

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...

Personally I would be more concerned with the 11 dogs on Princess getting
along than I would their interaction with the other passengers.

For people travelling with service dogs, sure...they have to consider
how multiple dogs will react to each other (frankly, I'm surprised
that service dogs aren't trained to get along with other service
dogs).

All service dogs are temperment tested at least three times. Once as
puppies, once at about one when they start their training and once
when they finish.

I don't really question how the dogs will "interract" with other
passengers. I'm sure they're all friendly, and when allowed the
opportunity, will be very tolerant of all those hands coming at them
from the passengers.

Please don't interact with a service dog unless invited to. They're
working, after all.

And, I understand alpha dog politics - we're working on that issue
right now at our house, with the addition of a new male.

Unless you are alpha, you'll have problems. Make sure that all dogs
understand where they fit in the totem pole, and how low down they
are.

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:39 PM
dep_blueman

Unless you have a dog alergy don't worry. The dogs will not bother
you one bit.

Now, ask how many drunk adults there will be; you might want to cancel
if that number is high

-D

(R&M) wrote in message . com...
Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???

Old September 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Dick Goldhaber

IMHO we are starting to get redundant but...

I believe that there will be more people on that cruise who will be scared
of the dogs than sickened by them.

When we vacation, and I am with Danni, Heidi doesn't have a lot to do. When
a blind person is on vacation, no matter who is with them, they are still
blind, and they need the dog's undivided attention..

What that means is that, if you ask, you can pet Heidi, but I would never
think to try to pet a seeing-eye dog.

When we did our Canal cruise with the two other dogs I have mentioned that
we met up with George and Evelyn and Idaho, George's seeing-eye dog, and
although the dogs played neither Danni or I ever tried to pet him.

Lee, we are not aware that there was a run on the ship's hospital during any
of the four cruises that Heidi has been on.

What Princess and their passengers should be more aware of is that dogs
"mark", and that any time one of the dogs relieves themselves all the other
dogs will migrate to that spot to reclaim it.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ojunk

om...

Old September 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Lee

Dillon Pyron wrote in message . ..

Please don't interact with a service dog unless invited to. They're
working, after all.

Oh, I know that. We always ask first....this wasn't really the issue
here.

And, I understand alpha dog politics - we're working on that issue
right now at our house, with the addition of a new male.

Unless you are alpha, you'll have problems. Make sure that all dogs
understand where they fit in the totem pole, and how low down they
are.

Yup, my husband and I are alpha, but it took a while for me, at least,
to get there. The new dog immediately bonded with my husband (helps
that he's home while I'm away at work), so it took a little longer
for me to establish my spot. But, happy to say, we've come to a
complete understanding and all is calm.

Lee
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:34:27 -0400, Dick Goldhaber wrote:

What Princess and their passengers should be more aware of is that dogs
"mark", and that any time one of the dogs relieves themselves all the other
dogs will migrate to that spot to reclaim it.

Same thing happens when you toss a penny on the floor of the synagogue.