Southern CA

Old September 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

Default Southern CA

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:30:09 GMT, Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
descoloria wrote:
Cindy, when in LA don't miss Griffith Park, the observatory and the

Hollywood hills

Just be sure to look at http://www.griffithobs.org/ to find out where
the observatory is currently located. (Hint--it isn't on top of the
hill. :-))

You can still drive or hike to the observatory to enjoy the views, you
just can't go into the observatory.

Zeyd
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:23 PM
KKlein2728

Beautiful 1920s mansion, near Koreatown, with furnished rooms available for
daily or weekly rentals. All rooms have shared bathrooms. Full access to
kitchen, living room (cable TV), and other common areas. Just minutes from most
of the popular Los Angeles attractions. Located on several major bus lines (all
night service). Laundry on premises. $50/night or $300/week for a room. If
interested, please contact Kellie at 310-829-3181 or at .
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:06 PM
CanuckRider

Family of 6 from Canada travelling from San Diego to San Fransisco and
back (16 day trip).

Dec. 17 - Jan 3

Kids are 6-14.

Priorities are scenery, culture, dining, zoo/aquar, Disneyland, etc.

Can anyone help with an itinerary?

--
CanuckRider
CanuckRider's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=251

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:33 AM
I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D.

Your post is uniquely clear; however an answer would take pages.

I would recommend going to a good bookstore, look at the many travel
books on California and decide which one/two suits you the best, and
plan your own itinerary.

I might mention particularly the Michelin Green Guide to California,
which not only 'stars' cities and places in the cities/towns but has
excellent maps including ones that indicate suggested itinararies.
--One error the It gives Santa Barbara two stars, which definitely
should have three.

San Diego and SF deserve several days. LA also, but (I assume you are
driving) requires a good map and a good wife to help with directions.

If you have any specific questions e-mail me.

"Iti is better to be vaguely right than precisely wrong.
--J. M. Keynes

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Todd Kunioka

CanuckRider wrote in message ...
Family of 6 from Canada travelling from San Diego to San Fransisco and
back (16 day trip).

Dec. 17 - Jan 3

Kids are 6-14.

Priorities are scenery, culture, dining, zoo/aquar, Disneyland, etc.

Can anyone help with an itinerary?

There are various suggested itineraries appearing on your other
thread. I will not attempt such a comprehensive response.

For SD, I would certainly suggest the Balboa Park area. There must be
a half-a-dozen museums in the area, including one on photography and
one with a very nice planetarium.

For the LA area, I would of course suggest perhaps the Los Angeles
County Art Museum, followed by a short jaunt north to the L.A.
Farmer's Market and The Grove [I mentioned them several months ago on
this thread (at least "this tread" if you are reading through
Google)]. There's a wide variety of food choices in the Farmer's
Market, and the open air market feeling is kind of nice.

I would also suggest the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena. Also, if
you can arrange to be in the LA area on New Year's morning, I would
suggest catching the Rose Parade. You probably won't be able to get a
room near the parade route, but there are several public transit
options to the parade, and also finding parking near the eastern
portion of the parade route would not be an impossible task.

I saw the parade for the first time last year. I just caught a bus
around 8:30 in the morning and rode the 8 miles or so north to
Pasadena. The eastern end of the parade route was relatively
uncrowded. A family of four would have no problem finding a vacant
piece of sidewalk or road median to sit or stand on and watch the
parade. No need for an overnight adventure [although I can imagine
that the night outside before the parade is an experience in itself].

Also in the LA area, I would suggest the Aquarium of the Pacific in
Long Beach. Of course, if you end up driving the coast route to SF,
you can instead hit the Monterey Bay aquarium.

TK

Old November 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Todd Kunioka wrote:

I saw the parade for the first time last year. I just caught a bus
around 8:30 in the morning and rode the 8 miles or so north to
Pasadena. The eastern end of the parade route was relatively
uncrowded. A family of four would have no problem finding a vacant
piece of sidewalk or road median to sit or stand on and watch the
parade. No need for an overnight adventure [although I can imagine
that the night outside before the parade is an experience in itself].

A friend and I browsed around Colorado Avenue the day before the
parade, and were commenting on how nicely dressed the homeless
people in Pasadena were. ;-)

(In case that's too obscure, people start staking out spots on
the sidewalk the day before the parade. Some are families who
can't afford to pay for bleacher seats, but others obviously
could but have chosen not to. They look like they just came
out of one of the tony stores and set up lawn chairs. ;-))

I imagine it's pretty festive on New Year's Eve with all the
thousands of folks camped out there. We stayed at a hotel and
drove up to our reserved seats in the morning.

Patty