Homeland Security on board ship????

Old December 9th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Default Homeland Security on board ship????

Someone posted a complaint a few days ago (and I'm too bleary-eyed at
this time to find it) in which they said several times that "Homeland
Security" personnel were interfering with passenger activities on board
ship. They were complaining in general that they thought cruises aren't
fun because "Homeland Security" people stop you from doing things.

In one incident, an "HS" person stopped a kid from getting on a water
slide because he was too small. In another incident, someone was
stopped from entering a pool, or hot tub, with a drink. There were a
couple of other incidents mentioned, but my memory is vague now.

I thought it strange then, but as I've thought about it, I'm wondering
"What the hey?!?!"

Firstly, U. S. Department of Homeland Security personnel have no
authority on foreign flag vessels. Unless the poster was talking about
the Pride of Aloha, it couldn't be HS--must be the cruise line security
people. More specifically, the Transportation Security Agency handles
port/airport security. True, they are, I believe, part of Homeland
Security, but I don't think they will ever be found on a ship.

Anyway, it just struck me as ludicrous, and I figured I had to flame
about it. That's what comes from staying up too late, and reading all
these posts about people having so much fun on their cruises, while I
have to wait until May for my next voyage. Drat!!!

Stranger
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:35 AM
JLP20

Someone posted a complaint a few days ago (and I'm too bleary-eyed at
this time to find it) in which they said several times that "Homeland
Security" personnel were interfering with passenger activities on board
ship.

This was sarcasam, the reviewer was refering to the onboard security. If the
Homeland comment threw you off, the rest of the review must have been very
confusing.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM

JLP20 wrote:

Someone posted a complaint a few days ago (and I'm too bleary-eyed at
this time to find it) in which they said several times that "Homeland
Security" personnel were interfering with passenger activities on board
ship.

This was sarcasam, the reviewer was refering to the onboard security. If the
Homeland comment threw you off, the rest of the review must have been very
confusing.

Guess I was bleary-eyed that night, too! Sorry I missed the sarcasm.
Usually, I really appreciate good humored jabs.

Oh, where/when was that post, anyway? I'd like to go back and read it
when I'm more awake.

"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Wayne Lundberg

wrote in message ...
Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:49:46 -0600, wrote:

Guess I was bleary-eyed that night, too! Sorry I missed the sarcasm.
Usually, I really appreciate good humored jabs.

Oh, where/when was that post, anyway? I'd like to go back and read it
when I'm more awake.

Apparently there was no sarcasm. Search for Wayne Lundberg's recent
comments.

Chrissy,

THAT'S IT!! Thank you so much. I frankly didn't think those comments
would be in his otherwise articulate and intelligent review, so I didn't
even look there! (Long read, anyway.)

Now that I've gone back to read it, I suspect the second and third
mentions of Homeland Security might possibly be taken as sarcasm. But
the first mention-- the kid at the waterslide--definitely WAS NOT.

Thanks again for the tip.

And, if he was not being sarcastic, I would think someone with his
background and intelligence would realize that Homeland Security would
not be on board ship. Well, OK, maybe he was being sarcastic. Without
tone of voice, raised eyebrows, or whatever, it's difficult to tell.

Stranger

Wayne here on the Homeland Security thing. The people I referred to wore
dark blue uniforms with SECURITY in large letters on their back. They had
badges. When I had a chance to talk with them while waiting for a transfer
boat to take us on shore, it was a friendly chat and I asked point blank who
they worked for. They said they are paid by Carnival, but that they work for
Homeland Security as a 'kind of onboard Marshall's.

The fact they were policing passenger activities got my blood boiling.

Wayne