Safety Record of Copa Airlines?

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.,travel.cruises
AGW[_3_]

Default Safety Record of Copa Airlines?

Hi, all.

Just read on rec.travel.cruises that Royal Caribbean will begin
Southern Caribbean (not necessarily Canal) cruises from Colon, Panama
starting in December, 2008. That entails getting to Panama City, which
brings me to Copa. Has anyone here flown on Copa? What's its safety
record (and can someone point me to a web page that gives safety records
for a particular airline)?

TIA, Arthur
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.,travel.cruises
John L

Just read on rec.travel.cruises that Royal Caribbean will begin
Southern Caribbean (not necessarily Canal) cruises from Colon, Panama
starting in December, 2008. That entails getting to Panama City, which
brings me to Copa. Has anyone here flown on Copa? What's its safety
record (and can someone point me to a web page that gives safety records
for a particular airline)?

Copa has been around since 1947 and as far as I know has only had one
crash in 1992. They're fine.

Safety info is spread all over the place, but Wikipedia isn't a bad
place to start.

Old August 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Martin Sylvester

"AGW" wrote in message
[...] (and can someone point me to a web page that gives safety records
for a particular airline)?

Someone else might be able to do that. I can point you to the list of
airlines not permitted to fly in the EU. If an airline is on that list, I'd
avoid them.
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/

Martin.

--
Can you spare three minutes for Daria? - http://tinyurl.com/48ltd
The campaign to get every episode of Daria released on DVD.

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.,travel.cruises
Jeff Hacker

"AGW" wrote in message
Hi, all.

Just read on rec.travel.cruises that Royal Caribbean will begin Southern
Caribbean (not necessarily Canal) cruises from Colon, Panama starting in
December, 2008. That entails getting to Panama City, which brings me to
Copa. Has anyone here flown on Copa? What's its safety record (and can
someone point me to a web page that gives safety records for a particular
airline)?

TIA, Arthur

They appear to have a decent safety record. They were previously 49% owned
by Continental, which sold off their interest last year, and operate a
modern fleet of 737's.

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza

"AGW" wrote in message

Hi, all.

Just read on rec.travel.cruises that Royal Caribbean will begin Southern
Caribbean (not necessarily Canal) cruises from Colon, Panama starting in
December, 2008. That entails getting to Panama City, which brings me to
Copa. Has anyone here flown on Copa? What's its safety record (and can
someone point me to a web page that gives safety records for a particular
airline)?

TIA, Arthur

They appear to have a decent safety record. They were previously 49% owned
by Continental, which sold off their interest last year, and operate a
modern fleet of 737's.

But be prepared for delays and obfuscation, even at Tocumen, as we
dealt with them last year. It would also pay to be on top of the
luggage situation, as they do not seem to able to carry the two bags
along on given flights as they advertise.

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:31:34 -0700, Sancho Panza
wrote:

[...]

I flew them earlier this year to Buenos Aires and had absolutely none
of these problems.