US Tourist Visa

Old September 29th, 2003, 04:07 PM
betelnut

Default US Tourist Visa

dude, you may reject visa applicants but just don't pocket their hard earned
money, ok? **** u americans. ya going down, boy.

"USA" wrote in message

"Yaofeng" wrote in message
om...
Many of us know that after 9/11, the US State department raised Visa
processing fees for citizens of those countries that need a Visa to
enter the US across the board to $100, citing additional costs due to
security and background checks. Naturally many of those countries
reciprocated the favor by charging the same amount to US citizens
applying Visas to visit them.

Recently over a casual conversation with a friend from China, I was
outraged by the action of the Visa section of US Consulate in Beijing.
The parents of this young man, who live in Shang-Dong, probably a few
hundred miles from Beijing, wanted to come see him. So they travel by
train to Beijing to apply for Visa. AFAIK, there are only 5 or 6 US
Consulate offices across all of China. Shang-Dong is under the
Beijing Consulate Office jurisdiction. His parents paid $100 each to
get Visa and was denied. The reason was they were suspect of
immigration incliniation. Naturally the $200 was pocketed by the US
Consulate. If they want to apply again, they risk another $200 loss
not knowing if the Visas will be granted.

Is the State Department in the business of making money? When we paid
$100 to get Visa to go to any God forsaken country, we don't like it
but one thing we know is we will get the Visa. Plus $100 is just a
nuisance, not a big deal. But $100 to folks in many other countries
is a big deal. It may be several months salary. And to get their
money then deny entry. That's robbery.

How much we have changed from "give me you tired, your poor..." to
"give me you affluent, your brightest.."

They lost the $100 per visa and were denied issuance based on "immigration
inclination".
That basis would not exist if the problem of illegal immigration by

chinese
nationals
wasn't a problem with the US, or many other countries for that matter.
Chinese emigration itself would not be a problem if China were a country
that provided
a sound economy, population planning and a democratic lifestyle so that so
many people
living in China would not want to emmigrate.
So who do you blame?

Old September 29th, 2003, 04:52 PM
DALing

and you are correct in that IF the app is denied, the money should be
returned, otherwise it's a revenue souce without justification... Perhaps a
(free) "pre-qualification" check to see if the app has a chance of being
approved? (sort of like pre-qual in a loan - you wouldn't go into the fees
IF you knew you wouldn't be approved)
le.rogers.com...

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:23 PM
mrtravel

betelnut wrote:

dude, you may reject visa applicants but just don't pocket their hard earned
money, ok? **** u americans. ya going down, boy.

Processing rejections takes money also.

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:52:39 GMT "DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com
wrote:

:and you are correct in that IF the app is denied, the money should be
:returned, otherwise it's a revenue souce without justification...

False.

It is a fee to pay for the checks.

Absolutely no reason, AT ALL, that American taxpayers should fund the visa
checks..

: Perhaps a
:(free) "pre-qualification" check to see if the app has a chance of being
:approved? (sort of like pre-qual in a loan - you wouldn't go into the fees
:IF you knew you wouldn't be approved)

The web site is quite clear about conditions that would make a visa unlikely
and is quite clear that the fee is non-refundable.

Nobody is forced to visit the USA.

Nobody is forced to apply for a visa.

It is a choice.

:"betelnut" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
: dude, you may reject visa applicants but just don't pocket their hard
:earned
: money, ok? **** u americans. ya going down, boy.
:
:
: "USA" wrote in message
: ...
:

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:39 PM
ircirc

But it is completely wrong to focus the spot light on Chinese
immigrants. According the US state department's statisitics. The
total number of estimated illegal immigrants to the US never ranked
higher than 20th among the world nations. The 1st place, of course
goes naturally to Mexico.

I hate to say it, though, but US citizens going somewhere bring a lot of
economic influence (read that as "money") with them and spend it and GO
HOME. Visitors to the US from poorer (as in "underdevloped") nations tend
to "just stay". The gummint is trying to stop "defacto" immigration.

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Peter L

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
(Yaofeng) wrote:

[...]

That's why Chile, Brasil and Turkey charge U.S. citizens USD 100 to
enter/get a visa. I do hope more follow their example.

Then it becomes a contest to see who need tourists more. I am thinking with
a much larger and more diverse economy, the US is able to absorb this
spitting contest better than these other countries.

Old September 29th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote:

I hate to say it, though, but US citizens going somewhere bring a lot of
economic influence (read that as "money") with them and spend it and GO
HOME. Visitors to the US from poorer (as in "underdevloped") nations tend
to "just stay". The gummint is trying to stop "defacto" immigration.

I am not sure if that much is spent/ may brng in forex to those
countries wich lack it. The freespenders are the business travellers
who wll pay the reciprocity fees or whatever.
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM
mrtravel

Peter L wrote:

Then it becomes a contest to see who need tourists more. I am thinking with
a much larger and more diverse economy, the US is able to absorb this
spitting contest better than these other countries.

But, for the US it wasn't a spitting content, just a need to raise fees
to cover costs as required by the law. Now, I agree that it might cost
more to process some visas and less to process others, but there is
nothing in the law requiring DOS to make it that granular.
It's like health insurance. I might pay the same as you, but that
doesn't mean the insurance company makes (or loses) the same amount of
money. We both might pay the same rate to get into Disneyland, but
that doesn't mean we will ride the same rides.