Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

Old June 27th, 2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Hatunen

Default Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 15:43:14 -0700 (PDT), Dudley Henriques
wrote:

On Jun 26, 6:15*pm, george wrote:

I came from an age where people learnt to fly on instruments in a Link
trainer

Me too. The old ANT-18. I even ran the crab off the table once when
the instructor left the room to get a cup of coffee :-)) I've
forgotten much of the Morse code but those A's and N's will stick in
my craw forever :-)))

You wouldn't have that problem if you had just stayed on course.

Old June 27th, 2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Dudley Henriques

--
* ************** DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* ** * * * Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * * * * *

I hate steady increasing tones :-)
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Wingnut[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 04:21:38 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Wingnut writes:
"Often" is good enough for me.

It has not been good enough to prevent crashes.

Occasionally a company apparently insufficiently screens its employees to
keep out idiots. Nothing to do with what we were discussing.

Important to know the plane's orientation, both pitch and roll (while
the compass gives you yaw, the third rotational degree of freedom).

It's also important to know the current stall angle, the angle of
attack, the flight path vector, the airspeed and altitude trends, the
V-speeds, the upper and lower airspeed limits, the current track, the
current route, the current vertical profile, the current heading, the
expected top of descent, and about a zillion other things that a private
pilot isn't likely to see in a tiny Cessna.

And there goes the Cessna strawman again. When, exactly, did the subject
morph from being a commercial pilot to being a private pilot, by the way?
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Wingnut[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:07:50 -0700, The Starmaker wrote:

The Starmaker wrote:
ever seen a plane crash where every single person died except two
people lived?

the two people were married.

Oh, no.

It's happened.

Somebody's birthed a horrible mutation.

The self-feeding troll.

Usenet is now officially doomed.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Wingnut[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:01:22 -0700, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Lord, you'll NEVER know how I absolutely HATE to chime in on this thread
again. 235 postings back and forth, everybody shouting at everybody else
with the same old tired song. Man, I mean you guys might actually be
going for a Usenet record here :-))))))))))))))))

If so, we have a loooong way to go.

Here's one of the middling-length *ahem* "discussions" I've seen on
Usenet:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....browse_thread/
thread/ce27f65ea7256d97

"Messages 1 - 25 of 5277" should be your first hint of how far we still
have to go here. :-)

If you browse that thread, you'll see it all: flames of all kinds, from
horrible sex-related accusations to the usual assortment of epithets
("idiot", "retard", "nutcase", etc.) and swear words; star ratings on
Google Groups that show clear signs of heavy voting by multiple
participants on each side (e.g. 3-star ratings with 9 or 10 voters --
nobody actually votes three stars and hardly anyone votes anything but
one or five); the same points being reiterated hundreds of times.

It's a vi/emacs editor war of course, via topic drift about thirty posts
in. Abortion and gun control can't hold a candle to which editor is best
when measured by how much passionate debate they can generate in a single
usenet thread. The twist, if you'll pardon the pun, is that there's a
third side in this editor war advocating Windows GUI editors over both
traditional Unix editors, for some reason unfathomable to the computer
geek mind.

Me? I use vi. And I mostly stay out of editor war threads, though
sometimes I lurk in them. This one bored me by about the 300th post, but
eventually I got mildly interested again when I kept seeing it bumped to
the top of my newsreader even after much of a whole year had passed.

It actually has MORE than the listed 5277 posts: by mutual agreement the
participants stopped cluttering up cljp with this crap and moved the
discussion over to alt.offtopic. Google's archive for that group is
*dominated* by the results, another several thousand posts spread among a
couple of dozen threads mostly titled "Lies, damn lies and statistics".
Subsequently, it seems to have petered out gradually, terminating this
January.

Yes, that makes it a single editor war that lasted almost two and a half
full years and consists of around 8000 individual posts, some of them
quite long.

(For those that are curious, the last words were "I wouldn't know. I've
never tried it. Why the wild tangent? Picking up some more bad habits
from Bent?" posted by someone calling himself "Handkea fumosa", which
Google tells me is some kind of puffball fungus that grows in California.
It was a comeback in response to "How does it feel sticking your head
into the sand?" posted by a vi advocate that was there from the very
start in August 2007. But the insult exchange that ended the debate
apparently arose from discussion not of vi but of emacs.)

So to beat that, we'd have to debate the relative merits of Microsoft
Flight Simulator vs. *real* aeronautical training until Mayan doomsday
(literally) and destroy several whole newsgroups.

And I've seen *worse*, elsewhere on Usenet. More than once. The most
recent actually-worse one was in alt.conspiracy and involved 9/11
"truthers" vs. their debunkers. It exceeded 10,000 posts. Rumors exist of
flamewars exceeding 20,000 posts, however.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Wingnut writes:

And there goes the Cessna strawman again. When, exactly, did the subject
morph from being a commercial pilot to being a private pilot, by the way?

Commercial pilots fly Cessnas all the time, including the small ones.

The only difference between a private pilot and a commercial pilot is that the
commercial pilot can fly for hire. Apparently there is some widespread
misconception that all commercial pilots are flying airliners, but that is not
at all the case.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Wingnut[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:21:10 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Wingnut writes:

And there goes the Cessna strawman again. When, exactly, did the
subject morph from being a commercial pilot to being a private pilot,
by the way?

Commercial pilots fly Cessnas all the time, including the small ones.

Nobody said they don't; just that their experience tends to be broader
than *just* Cessnas.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Wingnut writes:

Nobody said they don't; just that their experience tends to be broader
than *just* Cessnas.

That can be said of private pilots as well.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
a[_4_]

Wingnut writes:

And there goes the Cessna strawman again. When, exactly, did the
subject morph from being a commercial pilot to being a private pilot,
by the way?

Commercial pilots fly Cessnas all the time, including the small ones.

Nobody said they don't; just that their experience tends to be broader
than *just* Cessnas.

Well, a commercial certificate means the holder has demonstrated a
different level of piloting proficiency, passed a different written
and is required to hold a different physical certificate. Not that
private pilots can't be as proficient, but they are not required to
be. Most would agree the instrument rating is more difficult to get
than the commercial license, so long as the pilot can pass the
physical. I needed a waiver for the physical (vision).

My airplane is a business (ie point to point travel) tool, I simply
don't need more than a private pilot certificate since neither the
ariplane nor I are for hire.

Cessna strawmen and annoying pilots are MX's strong points. It's been
pretty clear for a long time he doesn't have much of a real life,
spends lots of time in sim and offering his 'wisdom' here.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
[email protected]

On Jun 28, 5:21*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
. Apparently there is some widespread
misconception that all commercial pilots are flying airliners, but that is not
at all the case.

NO, IT's YOUR MISCONCEPTION.

The real world knows the difference between commercial pilot and ATP.