I take it Aeroflot passenger evacuation procedures are not up to Western standards

Old May 5th, 2019, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

Default I take it Aeroflot passenger evacuation procedures are not up to Western standards

"Byker" wrote in message
news

https://twitter.com/dimsmirnov175/st...68956644126720

https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status...66711588331523

"Operationally, the Sukhoi Superjet has been erratic. Safety concerns with
the Superjet, (Russia’s first post-Soviet passenger plane), emerged soon
after its introduction in 2008. A large number of employees at the Siberia
factory responsible for working on the assembly of SSJ aircraft were found
to have faked their university engineering degrees."
https://aviationanalyst.co.uk/2018/1...hoi-superjets/

Oleg?

Old May 6th, 2019, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
A. Filip

"Byker" wrote:
"Byker" wrote in message
news

https://twitter.com/dimsmirnov175/st...68956644126720

https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status...66711588331523

"Operationally, the Sukhoi Superjet has been erratic. Safety concerns with
the Superjet, (Russia’s first post-Soviet passenger plane), emerged soon
after its introduction in 2008. A large number of employees at the Siberia
factory responsible for working on the assembly of SSJ aircraft were found
to have faked their university engineering degrees."
https://aviationanalyst.co.uk/2018/1...hoi-superjets/

Oleg?

Boning is not guilty of THIS crime!

Provide overall safety record and ditching summaries or get lost.
Cheap tricks are double edge sword. They will be used against
Boeing/Airbus too.

--
A. Filip
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

"A. Filip" wrote in message ...

Provide overall safety record and ditching summaries or get lost.

OK:

https://aviation-safety.net/database...rjet-100/index

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase...hp?AcType=SU95

It's kinda obvious that Moscow has pressured Russian airlines to accept the
jet in lieu of 737s and A320s...

Old May 6th, 2019, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

"Jonathan" wrote in message

Here's a video where it shows the very hard landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvcoAPLeuA

I wonder if it was a maintenance issue -- something that SSJs are
(in)famous for -- that prompted the emergency landing in the first place.
The fire doesn't start until the second impact...
Old May 8th, 2019, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
jonathan

On 5/6/2019 2:06 PM, Byker wrote:
"Jonathan"* wrote in message

Here's a video where it shows the very hard landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvcoAPLeuA

I wonder if it was a maintenance issue -- something that SSJs are
(in)famous for -- that prompted the emergency landing in the first
place. The fire doesn't start until the second impact...

They're saying now a lightning strike caused the emergency
landing, plus the pilot didn't dump the fuel first so
it was overweight on landing. And it appears the explosion
was in the rear section and googling found they added
extra fuel tanks in the cargo holds in the long range
version trying to boost sales, making it a death trap.

Sukhoi Superjet Range Boost Is Attempt To Increase Sales
by Vladimir Karnozov
- June 13, 2013, 11:20 AM

The newest version of the Sukhoi Superjet, SSJ100-95LR, first flown i
n February this year, has the suffix that is an abbreviation for
Long Range, but some would argue that “Last Resort” might
better describe the situation in terms of its significance
to Russia’s aerospace industry. With the introduction of this
new model, the famed Russian fighter house aims to come up
with a globally competitive passenger jet, able to generate
enough sales in the increasingly competitive 100-seat market,
and match these sales with increasing production rates.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...increase-sales

--

https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Old May 8th, 2019, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

"Jonathan" wrote in message

They're saying now a lightning strike caused the emergency landing, plus
the pilot didn't dump the fuel first so it was overweight on landing. And
it appears the explosion was in the rear section and googling found they
added extra fuel tanks in the cargo holds in the long range version trying
to boost sales, making it a death trap.

When an earlier poster attributed the plane's return to the airport to
"expert piloting skills", I couldn't keep a straight face. It came in too
high, too fast, and too heavy (I couldn't tell if the flaps and slats were
actuated). The "landing" was reminiscent of United Airlines Flight 232:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidm2-26DS0&t=10s.

Sukhoi Superjet Range Boost Is Attempt To Increase Sales
by Vladimir Karnozov
- June 13, 2013, 11:20 AM

The newest version of the Sukhoi Superjet, SSJ100-95LR, first flown in
February this year, has the suffix that is an abbreviation for Long Range,
but some would argue that “Last Resort” might better describe the
situation in terms of its significance to Russia’s aerospace industry.
With the introduction of this new model, the famed Russian fighter house
aims to come up with a globally competitive passenger jet, able to
generate enough sales in the increasingly competitive 100-seat market, and
match these sales with increasing production rates.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...increase-sales

I get the feeling that future sales to Ayatollahland will be rewarded with a
windfall of "martyrs", heh, heh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyGFQy7PPw

As for the up-and-coming Irkut MS-21, I'll bet they'll keep the Pratt &
Whitney engines rather than risk disasters with homegrown ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPXJ3Bg9Uxk

A mid-air first-flight emergency would have been embarrassing: "The
publicity engine was fired up once the jet had safely touched down, but the
lack of pre-flight fanfare carried an echo of Soviet-era opacity and
secrecy."
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...uccess-437836/

Old May 8th, 2019, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

"David E. Powell" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 8:33:46 PM UTC-4, Byker wrote:

When an earlier poster attributed the plane's return to the airport to
"expert piloting skills", I couldn't keep a straight face. It came in too
high, too fast, and too heavy (I couldn't tell if the flaps and slats
were actuated). The "landing" was reminiscent of United Airlines Flight
232: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidm2-26DS0&t=10s.

The United Landing was a case of expert flying.

Which is what the Russkies will probably tout when the "investigation" is
complete.

With the 737 currently in trouble, I suppose all other airliner makers
will angle for that market with the stuff they have in the pipeline.

I wonder how lightning-proof these newfangled carbon-fiber planes are? The
playing field will be leveled if lightning starts downing Airbuses and
Embraers...

Old May 8th, 2019, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
George

On Wed, 8 May 2019 13:44:34 -0500
"Byker" wrote:

[...]

They're pretty much as protected as the metal fuselage machines.
I suspect that this was landing a fully fueled aircraft at
somewhat higher than landing speed.
The video shows an initial impact and the aircraft still able to fly
until the second impact where the fires broke out

---

Old May 8th, 2019, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Byker

"George" wrote in message ...

They're pretty much as protected as the metal fuselage machines. I suspect
that this was landing a fully fueled aircraft at somewhat higher than
landing speed.
The video shows an initial impact and the aircraft still able to fly until
the second impact where the fires broke out

Interesting read:
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...from-lightning

In the meantime, keep 'em flying, Sergei!:

Russian Transport Minister Rules Out Superjet Grounding After Crash Kills 41
https://www.rferl.org/a/fourty-one-r.../29922441.html

Few airlines fly Russian jet that caught fire -- globe relies on Boeing,
Airbus
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...506-story.html

Au revoir, SSJ:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/time-t...north-america/

Old May 9th, 2019, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.russia,sci.military.naval,uk.politics.misc,can.politics
Fred J. McCall

"Byker" wrote on Wed, 8 May 2019 13:44:34 -0500:

[...]

You understand that carbon is a conductor, just like aluminum, right?

-- Thomas Jefferson