Spelling

Old January 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

Default Spelling

George Leppla wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote

I always thought that whole "potatoe" thing was a media scam... and one
of the worst teaching ideas of the late 80's.

I don't know what you mean by scam, Dan Quayle really thought that was the
correct spelling.

In some places it is... like at the Potatoe Patch restaurant in Houston, TX
http://www.potatoepatch.com/ Not a very fancy website or a very fancy
restaurant, but the food is real good. I mean... REAL good.

"Every meal includes our pass-arounds: Hot rolls right out of the oven (we
throw em, you catch em and eat em), fried okra, fried green tomatoes, and a
variety of blueberry, strawberry, and chocolate chip muffins."

I like the place so much that I am thinking of having the Sleazy 4 Bon
Voyage Dinner there.

A simple artifact of the legal situation that potatoe patch can be
trademarked because it does not have a common meaning while potato patch
cannot.
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

Frank F. Matthews writes:

A simple artifact of the legal situation that potatoe patch can be
trademarked because it does not have a common meaning while potato patch
cannot.

Both can be trademarked in theory, but it's easier to trademark
something with an unusual spelling.

For example, Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft when it is
used to identify a type of computer operating system. That doesn't
prevent it from being used in any other context, though.

Old January 31st, 2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:38:59 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Frank F. Matthews writes:

A simple artifact of the legal situation that potatoe patch can be
trademarked because it does not have a common meaning while potato patch
cannot.

Both can be trademarked in theory, but it's easier to trademark
something with an unusual spelling.

For example, Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft when it is
used to identify a type of computer operating system. That doesn't
prevent it from being used in any other context, though.

Mx, do you live on Usenet?
--
http://www.punkvoter.com/anim/anim-idiot.html