Anyone from abroad bought a car in the USA and got insurance?

Old April 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Henry Fairwood

Default Anyone from abroad bought a car in the USA and got insurance?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has travelled to America, purchased a 2nd hand
car
and got insured on it. I'd be really interested in any stories (success or
failure) or and information on the subject. I'm from England and would love
to try it this summer.
Cheers Henry

Old April 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:24:55 +0100, "Henry Fairwood"
wrote:

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has travelled to America, purchased a 2nd hand
car
and got insured on it. I'd be really interested in any stories (success or
failure) or and information on the subject. I'm from England and would love
to try it this summer.

Each of the 50 states has different rules, so probably no one can tell
you anything that would be valid for all states. However, in the
states where I have lived or known others who had cars, it wouldn't be
possible under most circumstances. In New Jersey, which is fairly
typical, you have to have a Social Security number or equivalent and a
residential address to register the car. Without registration, you
can't get insurance. If you have some sort of entry visa that permits
a long stay (such as a study visa), you may be able to get a SSN
equivalent. And if you have a VERY good friend or relative in the US,
you may be able to use their address. (It could have implications for
their own insurance, so they may have qualms unless they trust you.)
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:10 PM
alohacyberian

wrote:
[...]

But, I think there are only half a dozen states who use social security
numbers in automobile registration. Foreign students, etc. frequently own
cars. It's an address that's most important. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old April 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Lucky225

SSN is generally not required to register a motor vehicle, as the
state can not just presume that because you purchased the car that YOU
will be the actual driver. Getting the car insured in the US wont be a
problem, use 21st century they don't even ask you for SSN. Of course
this is under the presumption that you'll be buying the car and
residing in the US w/ it.. if you're just going to bring it back to
england you can pay for it in cash, there's no need to register it in
the states. BTW, if you plan on financing it I'm sure someone here
will try to say you need an SSN to finance it.. no that's not true,
you can establish a credit history in the US w/o SSN, however
obviously if you don't have a current credit history in the US you
won't be able to finance it anyways. (I.E. I've established a credit
history w/o an SSN, but when I went to get a cellphone at the time I
had no credit history so I had to pay a deposit, the moron that works
at the cell co thought it was b/c I didn't provide ssn that a deposit
was required, however, it was actually due to the fact that I had no
previous credit history.. I had AT&T recheck my credit and they
refunded my deposit and say that I'm now eligible for up to 5 cell
phones on one plan) Good Luck.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:36 PM
robindotadams

(Lucky225) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I've been trying to get sense out of Florida on registering. From
what I can gather, I don't need a US licence, or a SSN and I should be
able to get insurance. The only thing that puzzles me is registering.
I got the impression
from the officials in Florida that If home was in the UK I could
register the car in the UK?? Is this correct? If not, as I have no
perm address in the US, how do I register it? and more to the point
do I have to register it?
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Keith Willshaw

"robindotadams" wrote in message
om...

I've been trying to get sense out of Florida on registering. From
what I can gather, I don't need a US licence, or a SSN and I should be
able to get insurance. The only thing that puzzles me is registering.
I got the impression
from the officials in Florida that If home was in the UK I could
register the car in the UK?? Is this correct? If not, as I have no
perm address in the US, how do I register it? and more to the point
do I have to register it?

The registration form which is available from

http://www.onlinedmv.com/FL_Florida_...r_vehicles.htm

Indicates you can register the vehicle by post BUT you need to provide
a Florida address and Florida Driving license no if you do so.

As long as you have a valid insurance and title the site indicates you
should be able
to register the vehicle witha local county tax collector or license plate
agency.

Keith

Old April 18th, 2004, 08:01 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:10:37 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

But, I think there are only half a dozen states who use social security
numbers in automobile registration. Foreign students, etc. frequently own
cars. It's an address that's most important. KM

Foreign students with legitimate study visas can get a SSN equivalent.
--------