Things to do in Aus/NZ

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Cloudsteppa

Default Things to do in Aus/NZ

Hi,

I know this is a pretty general question but i will be spending 6
months/1 year travelling around Australia and NZ, I have a pretty
limited knowledge of what there is to do in Aus/NZ, especially
Australia, apart from the obvious, GBR, AR etc so would be grateful
for any suggestions of places to see/visit/stay or any travel advice
you may give me, I will be beginning in Sydney, early June next
year...

Thanks In Advance

Beej

PS. Do I need an International Driving Liscence for Aus or NZ? (I have
an English driving lisence) Thanks alot!!
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Frank Slootweg

May I suggest to buy some guide books, for example the Lonely Planet
ones?

For Oz, the web is as simple as www.australia.com (That wasn't too
hard was it? :-))

And no, you don't need an International Driving License(/Permit/
whatever). If they really try, I'm sure the Aussies/Kiwis can read
your pommie passport.

Old September 18th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Dwayne

First, its an international driving permit, and no you don't need one. As
an example, I am Canadian, so my drivers license is in English and French so
I can use my driving license in any country in the world where English
and/or French is the spoken language. In your case you are going to English
speaking countries thus a translation is not required (the IDP is just a
translated version of your existing drivers license, and both the permit and
your driving license are required to rent/drive a car).

A good thing to pick up is the NZ and the OZ Lonely planets. There is a lot
of information contained in these books (plus web links). I'm leaving for
Auckland on Nov 4th for a year in the OZ & NZ. So I have these guides and
am in the process of reading them. They list some of the places to eat,
stay and highlight some of the activities in the cities and regions along
with expected prices (in $OZ/$NZ). All maps contained in these books have
scales so you can judge distances fairly easily. Lonely Planet NZ
recommends Tramping in New Zealand for people who plan on doing a lot of
tramping (trekking/hiking). I haven't check out that book yet, but based on
the two Lonely Planet books, I'm sure I'll grab it before I leave. If you
plan on doing some hiking get a good pair of hiking boots, preferably from a
trekking/tramping/camping/hunting outlet.

Dwayne
u m c h r u s 1 @ c c . u m a n i t o b a . c a

PS: I've listed some of the NZ web page below (I haven't had a chance to
type out the OZ links yet).

CLIMB
http://www.nzalpine.org.nz/
http://www.climb.co.nz/

INFO
http://www.doc.govt.nz/
http://www.aaguides.co.nz/main/index.shtml
http://www.jasons.co.nz/
http://www.natlib.govt.nz/
http://www.whitepages.co.nz/

NEWS
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
http://www.kiwinewz.com/
http://www.nz.com/mainpage.html

SEA & SURF
http://www.raglansurfingschool.co.nz/
http://www.rivers.org.nz/

SEARCH & STUFF
http://www.nzsearch.co.nz/
http://www.searchnz.co.nz/
http://www.stuff.co.nz/

SKI & SNOW
http://www.snow.co.nz/
http://www.whakapapa.co.nz/
http://www.tukino.co.nz/
http://www.treblecone.co.nz/
http://www.cardrona.co.nz/
http://www.dobson.co.nz/
http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/
http://www.heliski.co.nz/

TRAVEL
-AIR
http://www.freedomair.co.nz/dyn/index.jsp
http://www.qantas.co.nz
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/
http://www.oceanpacific.co.nz/

-BUS
http://www.bestpass.co.nz/
http://www.intercitycoach.co.nz/
http://www.newmanscoach.co.nz/
http://www.nzhere.com

-CAR
http://www.avis.com
http://www.budget.co.nz
http://www.hertz.co.nz

-TOURING BUSES
http://www.flyingkiwi.com/
http://www.kiwiexperience.com/
http://www.magicbus.co.nz/

http://nzinfo.com/northliner/

om...

Old September 18th, 2003, 09:11 PM
MDJ

"Dwayne" u m c h r u s 1 @ c c . u m a n i t o b a . c a wrote in message
[...]

Speaking of which I bought a pair of Salamon light hiking boots in Sydney,
my only footwear for 6 months - hiked about 100 miles in them in NZ, , a few
hundred since and they're still going strong - cheap, look good, and
durable, highly recommend them.