Mayan All-Inclusive with good from-beach snorkeling?

Old June 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
JimK

Default Mayan All-Inclusive with good from-beach snorkeling?

Looking for an all-inclusive resort on the Mayan coast of Mexico that
has good snorkeling right from the beach, so you don't have to take an
excursion elsewhere to snorkel. Want to snorkel and see something other
than sand and seaweed. Anything South of Cancun to South of Tulum will
do. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
JimK
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

On Jun 20, 6:12 pm, JimK wrote:
Looking for an all-inclusive resort on the Mayan coast of Mexico that
has good snorkeling right from the beach, so you don't have to take an
excursion elsewhere to snorkel. Want to snorkel and see something other
than sand and seaweed. Anything South of Cancun to South of Tulum will
do. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
JimK

Hi Jim,

There are several AI's that would meat your needs. Akumal Beach
resort is where we stay..great snorkeling right off the beach and the
bay is protected by a huge reef. It's like swimming in a huge fish
tank..we love it here. Also there's Grand Oasis Riviera Maya..we have
not stayed there but read the snorkeling there is good..but not as
good as ABR.
If you have questions or want pics feel free to write.
Debs~
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

On 6/21/2008 10:35 AM plucked Senior Frog's
Magic Twanger and said:
On Jun 20, 6:12 pm, JimK wrote:

[...]

While it is in Cancun there's an AI that used to be Club Med at the end
or the Hotel Zone. It's at the south end of the beach. Snorkeling there
is good.

Alternatively, in Playa del Carmen you can pay one of the fisherman to
take you out snorkeling. Be sure to arrive at price before getting in
the boat. Boats are usually a little biger than a row boat and powered
by an outboard.

The best way to find someone who really knows the snorkel spots is by
word of mouth as these guys aren't organized. Eager to feed their
families for more than the money they get bringing their fish to market,
some will tell you that they know the best spots. When you get there
you will find out that they don't know squat about snorkeling. They'll
just take you where the fish are, and sometimes sharks too! So get
somebody by word of mouth. Some hotel front desk people can hook you up
with someone who is reliable. This is more likely at the hotels in town
then the AI in Playa. (All the AI in Mexico get some kind of kickback
from the tour operators.) You must be a good swimmer to do this. Most
fishermen do not use or supply life vests.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Mike

Magic Twanger and said:
On Jun 20, 6:12 pm, JimK wrote:

[...]

The AI at the southern end of the Cancun strip is still Club Med. It
was the first modern resort at Cancun and got the best location. It has
recently been completely renovated and is now somewhat "upscale", but
still has the good snorkeling and other activities.
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **