recommendations for a two week trip to europe

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Jason Dunsmore

jcoulter writes:

Much better, I can breathe again. Give Paris at least 3 days on the
ground, Brussels is worth a day stop. Brugge is worth a deviation,
Antwerp a stop and Amsterdam a day or two at the least. Switzerland is
expensive but the scenery is not to be found elsewhere take your time
there. I am not big on Germany so I can't comment there.

thanks. i hadn't considered brugge or antwerp.
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Iceman

"i'll go to frankfurt, amsterdam, paris, and bern"

Why do you want to go to Frankfurt or Bern on a 2-week trip? They are
not bad places, but there are far more rewarding places to visit on a
short vacation. If you want a Germanic city, Munich, Berlin, and
Vienna are all way more interesting than Frankfurt.

Have you considered somewhere else in the Swiss Alps, like Interlaken?
Are you interested in adventure sports or in mountain scenery? If
not, you might as well skip Switzerland entirely, and just see London,
Paris, and Amsterdam, each for about 4-5 days.

Old June 27th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:44:46 GMT, Jason Dunsmore
wrote:

i'll go to frankfurt, amsterdam, paris, and bern.

That's a bit bizzare. Bern is pretty, and I liked it, but Frankfurt?
It was hammered in the war, and much of it's modern banking buildings
now. Certainly not worth going out of your way for from a tourist
standpoint.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Thomas

i'm from the US, so i don't have much of a concept of how long it will
take to travel that distance in europe. (i'm guessing my route is a
little overly ambitious.)

No doubt. Think of European countries like medium-to-large-sized American
states. Its like saying "I'll do Missouri on Monday, Illinois on Tuesday,
Kentucky on Wednesday...", etc.

I remember overhearing a conversation between some Americans at a MUnich Bus
stop on a lazy Sunday afteroon.
'Well tommorow I'm doing Berlin, Tuesdat Prague, Wednesday Amsterdam,
Thursday Paris, Friday Edinburgh and London Saturday, I might stay 2 days in
London, will that be too long. I hope she enoyed her tour of Yerpean airport
departure lounges..

Old June 27th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Thomas

Now... Even on an ambitious plan, why don't you just stick to London,
Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Paris? You still will not be able to see all
the major sights in London and Paris. Or, skip Edinburgh and like
someone else posted add in Munich (since you seem intent on seeing as
many major cities as is possible). If it were me, and those cities were
my choices: London, Amsterdam and Paris. Period.

thanks for the recommendations. i've been to munich before, and i've
decided to save the UK for my next trip. i think i'd like to see
frankfurt though.

I wouldn't bother with Frankfurt. It is certainly a pleasant city, but not
much to see from a tourists perspective. try somewhere like Rothenburg, or
Nurenburg or Wurtzburg.

Old June 27th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:14:22 +0100, "Thomas" wrote:

i'm from the US, so i don't have much of a concept of how long it will
take to travel that distance in europe. (i'm guessing my route is a
little overly ambitious.)

No doubt. Think of European countries like medium-to-large-sized American
states. Its like saying "I'll do Missouri on Monday, Illinois on Tuesday,
Kentucky on Wednesday...", etc.

I remember overhearing a conversation between some Americans at a MUnich Bus
stop on a lazy Sunday afteroon.
'Well tommorow I'm doing Berlin, Tuesdat Prague, Wednesday Amsterdam,
Thursday Paris, Friday Edinburgh and London Saturday, I might stay 2 days in
London, will that be too long. I hope she enoyed her tour of Yerpean airport
departure lounges..

"Did you enjoy your vacation in Europe, Wilbur?"

"Dunno - haven't got the pictures back yet"

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old June 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
jcoulter

Jason Dunsmore wrote in
:

"Lennart Petersen" writes:

AFAIK U.K isn't included in Eurail so you don't have much advantage
of that for Edinburgh.
Nor is it valid for the Eurostar train London-Paris/Brussels but
you've a discount.
Your travel plan seem to be now so limited so I doubt Eurail pays
back at all, possibly you're fine with ordinary point to point
tickets ?

if i have time to spare, i'll visit salzburg or regensburg, or small
towns along the way.

i don't think point-to-point tickets would've been cheaper. frankfurt
to amsterdam alone is $236.

jason

Use the German rail page to figure point to point not Rail Europe. RE
inflates the fares and makes their passes look better.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Jason Dunsmore" skrev i meddelandet
"Lennart Petersen" writes:

AFAIK U.K isn't included in Eurail so you don't have much advantage of
that
for Edinburgh.
Nor is it valid for the Eurostar train London-Paris/Brussels but you've a
discount.
Your travel plan seem to be now so limited so I doubt Eurail pays back at
all, possibly you're fine with ordinary point to point tickets ?

if i have time to spare, i'll visit salzburg or regensburg, or small
towns along the way.

i don't think point-to-point tickets would've been cheaper. frankfurt
to amsterdam alone is $236.
jason

--------------------
From where have you got that price?
Don't say you've studied the Eurail prices ?
The advertised ordinary price for Frankfurt-Amsterdam is Euro 94:80 ICE 2cl
but there are many reductions available with advance reservations.

Old June 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Deep Foiled Malls" skrev i
meddelandet ...
wrote:

i'll go to frankfurt, amsterdam, paris, and bern.

That's a bit bizzare. Bern is pretty, and I liked it, but Frankfurt?
It was hammered in the war, and much of it's modern banking buildings
now. Certainly not worth going out of your way for from a tourist
standpoint.

----------------------
Can't but agree. Today's Frankfurt have got the nickname Bankfurt or
Frankhattan because of the many bank skyscraper. Basepoint for excursions
maybe, as there're excellent communications but otherwise Frankfurt isn't
the place to stay.
In my opinion the charming and much more interesting Mainz could be the
place to stay for one or another night.

Old June 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Jason Dunsmore a =E9crit :
"Simone" writes:
Now... Even on an ambitious plan, why don't you just stick to London,
Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Paris? You still will not be able to see all
the major sights in London and Paris. Or, skip Edinburgh and like
someone else posted add in Munich (since you seem intent on seeing as
many major cities as is possible). If it were me, and those cities were
my choices: London, Amsterdam and Paris. Period.

thanks for the recommendations. i've been to munich before, and i've
decided to save the UK for my next trip. i think i'd like to see
frankfurt though.

here's the latest (hopefully final) version of the map:
http://zwei.homelinux.net/~jason/eur...urail-plan.png

i'll go to frankfurt, amsterdam, paris, and bern.

Looks more raisonable, but if in Switzerland, try
at least to get an Alps tour. I have no information
on railway routes and companies covered by your pass,
but at least scenic part of main international
should be. Definitely worth to consider is Zurich-
Bellinzona, Villeneuve/Montreux to Geneva, but also
Brig-Thoune. The "real" scenic routes are described at
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/i...amastrecken.h=
tm
Option I would not exclude is Z=FCrich-Milano and
back via Simplon, Brig to Interlaken, and then Berne.
Sure a detour, but probably no extra-charge (?)