Coke CEO Calls for Industry Effort on Obesity

Old December 9th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Earl Evleth

Default Coke CEO Calls for Industry Effort on Obesity

They are shifting a bit, to selling non-junk drinks like
orange juice.

Anyway, McDonald and Coke apologists, take note.

The real question is can advice from parents and teachers
make an effective opposition to the billions spent on
advertising?

Earl

***

Coke CEO Calls for Industry Effort on Obesity

Mon Dec 8, 2:19 PM ET

Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Beverage companies need to work together to find a
solution for obesity problems, Coca-Cola Co. Chairman and Chief Executive
Douglas Daft said on Monday.

"A simplistic government solution will not address the issue," said Daft,
who spoke at an industry conference in New York. Coke is the world's largest
maker of sugary soft drinks.

Food and beverage companies face increased pressure to improve their
products, given a rising trend of obesity among Americans.

McDonald's Corp., the largest fast-food restaurant operator, earlier this
year faced lawsuits blaming hamburgers for childhood obesity. And No. 1
North American food maker Kraft Foods Inc. has pledged to improve the
formulation of some products to offset the troubling trends.

Daft said beverage companies must provide choices for consumers that support
a healthy and active lifestyle, but he said that parents, teachers and
schools must help children make sensible choices.

PepsiCo Inc., the No. 2 soft drink company, has removed trans fats from its
snack foods, including those under its Frito-Lay label. Trans fats, which
give products longer shelf life and are created by a chemical process during
manufacturing called hydrogenation, have been linked to heart disease.

Old December 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Richard

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

They are shifting a bit, to selling non-junk drinks like
orange juice.

Anyway, McDonald and Coke apologists, take note.

The real question is can advice from parents and teachers
make an effective opposition to the billions spent on
advertising?

Not for a while, I think. Before parents and teachers can make any sort of
opposition to advertising, they have to stop being influenced by it
themselves. And that, I fear, is still a long way's away.

Education is key but things won't happen over night. At least not here in
Canada.

Richard

Old December 9th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Luke

Thats great that those companies apologized but its not their fault.
No company is forcing people to shove big macs down their throats.
people make their own choices and have to live with the consequences.
people in general need to start taking resposibility for their
actions.

Old December 9th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Gordon Forbess

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:09:46 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

They are shifting a bit, to selling non-junk drinks like
orange juice.

Anyway, McDonald and Coke apologists, take note.

The real question is can advice from parents and teachers
make an effective opposition to the billions spent on
advertising?

The thousands of dollars that individual schools now profit from the
sale of soft drinks and junk food is also an issue. Orange juice,
other fruit drinks and healthy snacks have not produced the same
revenue.

Gordon
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
me

"Richard" wrote in message ...
"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

They are shifting a bit, to selling non-junk drinks like
orange juice.

Anyway, McDonald and Coke apologists, take note.

The real question is can advice from parents and teachers
make an effective opposition to the billions spent on
advertising?

Not for a while, I think. Before parents and teachers can make any sort of
opposition to advertising, they have to stop being influenced by it
themselves. And that, I fear, is still a long way's away.

It's all around. I can go back 30 years and remember that adults
were unlikely to give soda to a child without some expressed approval
by parents. It was considered about the same as candy or ice cream.
But today they sell it in the schools for lunch, I see boy scout
troops serving it on campouts, I even see it included in "charity
bags" of food for poor families around holidays. There is a serious
problem associated with it and babies where it is put in their bottles.

Coca Cola is candy folks. You should no more hand your kid
a 2 liter bottle of Coke than you'd hand them a 3 lb bag of chocolate.

Education is key but things won't happen over night. At least not here in
Canada.

The "educators" are going to need a huge credibility bump. Too
many "XYZ causes cancer" stories over the years, not to mention the
basic "ABC is bad for you" kinda stuff. These things tend to become
politicized, and then truth goes flying out the window, and ultimately
folks figure it out.
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Markku Grönroos

"me" wrote in message
om...
"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

Typical US American gets something like 25-30% of energy from sugar. This is
all too much. Sugarmen then criy: "no it isn't too much" and "shut up, you
are commies and jeopardize our beneficial business".

Old December 9th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Miguel Cruz

Gordon Forbess wrote:
The thousands of dollars that individual schools now profit from the sale
of soft drinks and junk food is also an issue. Orange juice, other fruit
drinks and healthy snacks have not produced the same revenue.

I agree that this money is important to the schools, but I think something
is sorely wrong with our society when schools need to poison students in
order to earn money to pay teachers.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/