How much time between flights

Old March 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Spurwing

Default How much time between flights

I will fly in to LA on a Qantas flight from Australia and then connect
to an Alaskan air flight to Vancouver, I have 2 1/2 hours between
flights. Will I have to go through customs in LA. and is the 2 1/2 hours
enough time

--
Spurwing
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Spurwing wrote:
I will fly in to LA on a Qantas flight from Australia and then connect
to an Alaskan air flight to Vancouver, I have 2 1/2 hours between
flights. Will I have to go through customs in LA. and is the 2 1/2 hours
enough time

You can even pop out for an In 'n Out Burger. Lots of time.

I don't know about customs in the US, though.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

I will fly in to LA on a Qantas flight from Australia and then connect
to an Alaskan air flight to Vancouver...

No such airline. Perhaps you mean Alaska Airways.

Will I have to go through customs in LA.

Maybe there, but if the flight stops in say Honolulu, you might get
off and clear customs there; I've had it done that way. Ask the
airline. And next time do it *before* booking your connecting flight.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Any story that needs a critic to explain it,
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Mark Brader wrote:
I will fly in to LA on a Qantas flight from Australia and then
connect to an Alaskan air flight to Vancouver...

No such airline. Perhaps you mean Alaska Airways.

Will I have to go through customs in LA.

Maybe there, but if the flight stops in say Honolulu, you might get
off and clear customs there; I've had it done that way. Ask the
airline. And next time do it *before* booking your connecting flight.

Don't be a moron. The guy asked a simple enough question. If you don't
have the answer, which it's clear you don't, then there's no need to pester
the OP with your misplaced superiority complex.

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"MI" wrote in message

On 3/10/09 7:12 PM, in article ,
"Spurwing" wrote:

I will fly in to LA on a Qantas flight from Australia and then connect
to an Alaskan air flight to Vancouver, I have 2 1/2 hours between
flights. Will I have to go through customs in LA. and is the 2 1/2 hours
enough time

Short answer yes. After you land you have to claim your luggage and go
through customs and immigration. Then you proceed to Alaska Air Lines
counter to check in. They will take your luggage there. You then proceed
security clearance and then to the boarding area. When you arrive in
Vancouver you will again go through customs and immigration. When I came
home I went through San Francisco and had lots of time. I took the same
trip
just over a year ago. You should have sufficient time in LA as well,
especially when planes never seem to leave on time these days.

No problem and welcome to Vancouver, glad to have you visit.

--
Martha Canada
.

Normally the baggage is checked through to the final destination. You
collect your baggage and Customs and Immigration and and leaving C&I you
place your bags on a conveyor back in to the system.. You do not need to go
to Alaska to check the baggage. That is if the baggage is checked to
Vancouver.

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 3/11/09 9:51 PM, in article
, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"MI" wrote in message

On 3/10/09 7:12 PM, in article
,
"Spurwing" wrote:

[...]

I am just saying the way it was handled when I came back from Australia last
year. The Qantas attendant told me that is was a requirement of US customs
that the passengers claim their luggage and take it to Alaska Air Lines. I
would have loved if it could have been checked through because I was in a
wheelchair. The reason it was handled this way was because we changed
airlines. If I had flown Air Canada through Hawaii, it would have been
handled the way you said because we neither changed planes or airlines. That
is the explanation given to me by Qantas. Incidentally, my baggage was
checked through to Vancouver.

--
Martha Canada
..

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
xCo

Is it a direct flight?? I did the same thing recently had a 2 1/2 hours
stop over in LA after flying Qantas from Aus to LA via Auckland. Plane was
delayed leaving Melb and Auckland and I missed all my LA connecting flights.

Best advice is fly to Alaska the following day, it saves a lot of stress if
plane delayed. Enjoy a night at LAX probably $100AUD then travel following
day at le

PS: I think Qantas would recommend at least 3 hour between flights

suire.

Old March 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Brader wrote:
Ask the airline. And next time do it *before* booking your
connecting flight.

Keith Blakeslee:
Don't be a moron. The guy asked a simple enough question. If you don't
have the answer, which it's clear you don't, then there's no need to pester
the OP with your misplaced superiority complex.

Who's being moronic, the person who books a flight without knowing
whether the connection can be made, or the person who tells them
where to find the information they're asking for?
--
Mark Brader | lying
Toronto | abort reply.