Phone card - suggestions

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Phone card - suggestions

For years I've used MCI for domestic long distance to use when on the road.
I just went to recharge my card and now they've instituted new fees so I'm
shopping again. I WAS paying 3 cents per minute with no fees . I've been
browsing and LOTS of companies with lots of fees ( per connection, per
month etc) Any suggestions of 'good deals".

I want no fees per call/per month/per year and no expiration. JUST x cents
per minute when I use it.
Thanks for any feedback

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

- Bobb - wrote:
For years I've used MCI for domestic long distance to use when on the road.
I just went to recharge my card and now they've instituted new fees so I'm
shopping again. I WAS paying 3 cents per minute with no fees . I've been
browsing and LOTS of companies with lots of fees ( per connection, per
month etc) Any suggestions of 'good deals".

I want no fees per call/per month/per year and no expiration. JUST x cents
per minute when I use it.
Thanks for any feedback

You might want to look at the comparisons at: callingcards.com I
assume you are calling USA-USA but they have all other options also
available.

I use their service and usually buy a very cheap card when I travel.

Check out these that might meet your needs: http://tinyurl.com/d2hzqf

Also, does SKYPE calling interest you? I know business travellers who
use it extensively. They buy the SKYPE service (very cheap) and call
with their laptop, anywhere there is free wi-fi.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
For years I've used MCI for domestic long distance to use when on the
road. I just went to recharge my card and now they've instituted new fees
so I'm shopping again. I WAS paying 3 cents per minute with no fees .
I've been browsing and LOTS of companies with lots of fees ( per
connection, per month etc) Any suggestions of 'good deals".

I want no fees per call/per month/per year and no expiration. JUST x
cents per minute when I use it.
Thanks for any feedback

You might want to look at the comparisons at: callingcards.com I assume
you are calling USA-USA but they have all other options also available.

I use their service and usually buy a very cheap card when I travel.

Check out these that might meet your needs: http://tinyurl.com/d2hzqf

Also, does SKYPE calling interest you?

Thanks Mike.
Yes USA-USA . No need for Skype. I'm interested in good quality voice line.
At callingcards site, can you recommend a company that you now use ?

I never had an issue with AT&T or MCI but read about lousy service of
others. I'll use in place of designated long distance carrier ( to avoid the
monthly fees) and when traveling. I'd just like a rate of x cents per
minute - no per call /monthly fees ( MCI USED to do that)
When I started browsing online, it's very tough to compare when I see info
such as :

Connection Fee: 60 ¢ Connection Fee
Billing Increment: 3 minutes
Maintenance Fee: 59 ¢
Communication Fees: 8% ( some up to 15%)
Payphone Surcharge: 65 ¢

then go to next one and slightly different, make notes, next etc.

I've tried googling consumer websites for recommendations but most articles
are dated, so comparison info not current.
Thanks again.

Old April 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

- Bobb - wrote:

Sorry for http://tinyurl.com/d2hzqf That link changed from what I used
to now, when I clicked on it.

I am not loyal to any specific card company. I usually look at the
features I want and go with the cheapest alternative.

If you go to callingcards.com and put in that you are calling USA to USA
it gives you a list of cards. You can then sort the list by "connection
fee" "rate per minute" etc. then click on "[]compare" to evaluate the
differences between two or three of your best choices.

Good luck

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:00:26 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
wrote:

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

I can recommand Voipbuster anywhere there is free wi-fi.
Ton
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

- Bobb - wrote:
For years I've used MCI for domestic long distance to use when on the road.
I just went to recharge my card and now they've instituted new fees so I'm
shopping again. I WAS paying 3 cents per minute with no fees . I've been
browsing and LOTS of companies with lots of fees ( per connection, per
month etc) Any suggestions of 'good deals".

I want no fees per call/per month/per year and no expiration. JUST x cents
per minute when I use it.
Thanks for any feedback

Look at OneSuite.com. 2.5¢ per minute for local access, 2.9¢ per minute
for toll-free access. No connection fees, no monthly fees, no yearly
fees but you do have to add $10 (minimum) every six months to keep the
account active. Like every calling card these days, they do charge extra
for pay phone calls to the toll free access number (55¢).

I've used them for years. I like their international access numbers as
well, and my family has used them in Taiwan, Canada, and Italy. I use
them from home as well, during peak hours (off-peak or mobile to mobile
we use the cell phones of course). They had one hiccup in 2005 when
their server crashed, and it took them several days to get back up, but
since then no problems.

Their account management on-line lets you enter speed dial numbers so
you only have to press a two digit code for frequently called numbers.
They also let you enter phone numbers for pinless access (i.e. home and
cell phone numbers) so you don't have to always enter your PIN number
for every call, though for traveling this wouldn't work.

A lot depends on your call volume as well. I.e. if you make a lot of
calls, look at PagePlus's "Talk n Text" cell phone plan which gives you
1500 minutes and 1500 texts for $35.80/month, which works out to
2.4¢/minute if you use all 1500 minutes each month. This rate is only if
you are in areas with Verizon Wireless coverage, out in the boonies on
small carriers they'll charge you roaming.
"http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Online%20Store/Minutes/Talk%20n%20Text%20Card.aspx"
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Zee

I definitely agree with SMS, Onesuite prepaid long distance services
(calling card and voip) saved me tons of $$$ over the years. I just
need to correct one thing about Onesuite expiration policy. You don't
need to recharge your Onesuite account every 6 months, you just need
to use it every 6 months to keep it active. They just changed their
expiration policy a few months ago maybe because their customers (that
includes me) bombarded them with request to change the policy.

So now your $10 can last indefinitely as long as you use your account
every 6 months or until you've run out of credit and need to recharge
again.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_15_]

Why not just buy a phone card at the store?

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:35:18 -0500, Dymphna wrote:

Why not just buy a phone card at the store?

Too often they're ripoffs. Get a 5 penny/minute card with $10 on it,
and you'll be lucky if you can make 10 calls of 2 minutes each with it after
all the surcharges are figured in.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mag

Love onesuite, but if you don't have a phone available or don't feel like
dialing all the numbers it's a problem. the VOIP service is great, but I
don't like using a headset all the time. So we just got a magicjack and a
cheap cordless phone and it's working really well. The phone plugs into the
magic jack which plugs into a USB port on the laptop. Not affiliated with
them in any way, just enjoying using it.