Using My Credit Card - Pen or PIN

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

Default Using My Credit Card - Pen or PIN

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Graham Harrison"
was claimed to have wrote:

Interesting point. Never had that happen in the US but I have had it
happen in Canada (Quebec City). One retailer had no idea what to do.
She
swiped the card and the machine told her to insert the card. She had no
idea what to do and I had to walk her through the rest of the process.
At
least she didn't then ask me to sign the slip as well (which is what
happened to me in Hong Kong back in January this year).

Chip+PIN is being rolled out in Canada across the board right now,
merchants have all been sent instructions on how to operate their
terminals and stickers and stuff to help employees out.

To give her her due this was about 4 years ago.

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"AZ Nomad" schrieb

It is the difference of running it as a credit card (signature) or a
debit card (pin). It's strange the businesses give the choice as
running it as a credit card costs them more.

If they deceide to accept credit cards, they have to accept credit
cards. It was their choice to start with.
I have both, but not on the same piece of plastic. different accounts,
different banks, different cards... So it's my choice which card
I hand over, not the business's choice how to use it.
I have PINs only for some, and none of them has a chip.

Jochen
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"xCo" wrote in message
Do retailers across USA still accept a signature only (with supporting
ID) for credit card transactions or do you need to use a PIN?

I'm from the UK and therefore my card is chip and pin. I spent 10 days
in California in March and not once was I asked for my PIN. On check-in
to hotels I was asked for ID and I think once in a shop. Quite often the
card was swiped, returned to me and then I was asked to sign meaning that
the retailer had no chance to verify the signature.

Isn't your signature on the card? KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old May 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In all the years I have been using a credit card, no one has requested a
PIN. On the other and, debit card transactions at stores do require a
PIN. Why do you ask?

Because there are new credit cards being distributed in North America
that will be using PINs instead of signatures. They already exist in
Europe. My new VISA is a PIN card. But most merchants don't have the
terminals that accept PINs yet, so they still ask for the signature.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Graham Harrison:
I spent 10 days in California in March ... Quite often the
card was swiped, returned to me and then I was asked to sign
meaning that the retailer had no chance to verify the signature.

Keith Martin:
Isn't your signature on the card?

Point is, if the retailer had wanted to verify the signature, he'd
return the card only *after* Graham had signed the slip. I'm used
to them doing it the way Graham describes, but it still seems weird
to me when I think about it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I seem to have become a signature quote."
-- David Keldsen
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Shawn Hirn wrote:
In all the years I have been using a credit card, no one has requested a
PIN. On the other and, debit card transactions at stores do require a
PIN. Why do you ask?

Because there are new credit cards being distributed in North America that
will be using PINs instead of signatures. They already exist in Europe.
My new VISA is a PIN card. But most merchants don't have the terminals
that accept PINs yet, so they still ask for the signature.

In Hawaii it's getting so that most merchants do not require signatures for
credit card purchases under $25.00. KM

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that James Silverton wrote in article
:

xCo wrote on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:00:57 GMT:

Do retailers across USA still accept a signature only[?]

For normal payments the credit card is valid. No ID seems ever asked
for.

In my part of the US (southern California) an ID is often asked for if
the sales person does not know the buyer by sight; by policy many
businesses instruct their employees to routinely compare the signature
on a sales slip with the signature on a valid ID such as a drivers
license.

Also, many businesses now use an electronic credit card system where
the purchaser swipes the card through a card reader and then enters
his PIN number. In some cases some form of ID is already burned onto
the card, eliminating the need for a PIN. Some card systems retain a
digitized signature sample against which later signatures are
compared.

IOW, YMMV.
--
Don Kirkman

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message AZ
Nomad was claimed to have wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:00:57 GMT, xCo wrote:
Do retailers across USA still accept a signature only (with supporting ID)
for credit card transactions or do you need to use a PIN?

It is the difference of running it as a credit card (signature) or a
debit card (pin). It's strange the businesses give the choice as
running it as a credit card costs them more.

It's a bit more complicated then that. Just outside of Phoenix we found
one restaurant that needed a PIN on a credit-only card (a card with no
debit capability) -- We confirmed that the merchant did press the
"Credit" button, not "debit"

Since the restaurant was one of my parents' favourite they returned and
tried with a swipe-only credit card (without a chip+pin configured) and
it went through without a PIN.

The card that needed a PIN was a Canadian chip+pin enabled card, so it
looks like PIN support for credit transactions is slowly being rolled
out in the US.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "Graham Harrison"
was claimed to have wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
.. .
In message "Graham Harrison"
was claimed to have wrote:

Interesting point. Never had that happen in the US but I have had it
happen in Canada (Quebec City). One retailer had no idea what to do.
She
swiped the card and the machine told her to insert the card. She had no
idea what to do and I had to walk her through the rest of the process.
At
least she didn't then ask me to sign the slip as well (which is what
happened to me in Hong Kong back in January this year).

Chip+PIN is being rolled out in Canada across the board right now,
merchants have all been sent instructions on how to operate their
terminals and stickers and stuff to help employees out.

To give her her due this was about 4 years ago.

Fair enough... I've had a chip without PIN for a few years, that one
threw merchants that had capable terminals since there wasn't much
education about it (and really it was no different then swipe, except
that the card went in a different slot)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Alohacyberian wrote:
In Hawaii it's getting so that most merchants do not require signatures for
credit card purchases under $25.00. KM

In Hawaii it is getting that few things cost less than $25.00 ;-)