Best Crossing I-90 Westbound to QEW to Hamilton (Buffalo vicinity)

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
James Robinson

Default Best Crossing I-90 Westbound to QEW to Hamilton (Buffalo vicinity)

richard wrote:

Even though the glorious USA government insists upon a passport, it's
rarely enforced. What are they gonna do if you don't have one? deport
you?

Homeland Insecurity has been demanding some proof of citizenship along
with a photo ID for the last year or so. It has always been enforced on
any trips I've taken since then. Now you need a specific document, not
just any photo ID.

I suspect that if you don't have one, you will have to go into the
building for a more thorough inspection, which would involve considerable
delay while they determine you are who you say, and can legally enter the
country. It might also attract a fine.

From what I've read, it's getting to the point that in order to get a
passport, you need to put a request in for one for several months
before you need it. After all, Bush and company declared every
american citizen was a terrorist.

With the recession, the demand for passports had dropped, plus the agency
got some stimulus money that allowed them to double the number of people
handling applications. They report the processing time is now 4-6 weeks,
and you can pay extra for 2-3 week service.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...sing_1740.html
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

James Robinson wrote:
richard wrote:

Even though the glorious USA government insists upon a passport, it's
rarely enforced. What are they gonna do if you don't have one? deport
you?

Homeland Insecurity has been demanding some proof of citizenship along
with a photo ID for the last year or so. It has always been enforced on
any trips I've taken since then. Now you need a specific document, not
just any photo ID.

I suspect that if you don't have one, you will have to go into the
building for a more thorough inspection, which would involve considerable
delay while they determine you are who you say, and can legally enter the
country. It might also attract a fine.

From what I've read, it's getting to the point that in order to get a
passport, you need to put a request in for one for several months
before you need it. After all, Bush and company declared every
american citizen was a terrorist.

With the recession, the demand for passports had dropped, plus the agency
got some stimulus money that allowed them to double the number of people
handling applications. They report the processing time is now 4-6 weeks,
and you can pay extra for 2-3 week service.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...sing_1740.html

from today's Toronto Star
========================
Under the new requirements, Canadians will still be allowed across the
U.S. border without a passport or enhanced driver’s licence during this
summer travel season.

They’ll just be scolded a little.

"We’re going to be flexible, we’re going to go on a case-by-case basis,"
said Joanne Ferreira, spokesperson for U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

"Travellers that do not have the documents, they might face delays as
our (border) officers will have to confirm their identity and
citizenship," she said.

"But we’re encouraging travellers to continue with their travel plans
and to apply for their documents - if they don’t have them, to apply now."

Ferreira said officials will record each time someone crosses without
the proper travel documents, which means travellers might face
increasing delays if they continue to set out without the proper
identification.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Nathan Perry

In article
,
rickmastfan67 wrote:

Peace Bridge is the way to go. Inbound to Canada is usually light
around 3PM on a Saturday. Just remember that you will now need a
passport to go across.

Also you avoid the Grand Island toll going this way; I-190 is now
toll-free.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Nathan Perry

In article ,
richard wrote:

Even though the glorious USA government insists upon a passport, it's
rarely enforced. What are they gonna do if you don't have one? deport
you?

Well of course it's rarely been enforced, having only been required for
one whole day now.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"richard" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 07:03:35 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
wrote:

rickmastfan67 wrote:
Peace Bridge is the way to go. Inbound to Canada is usually light
around 3PM on a Saturday. Just remember that you will now need a
passport to go across.

I thought he needs a passport to return to the USA, not to enter Canada.

Even though the glorious USA government insists upon a passport, it's
rarely enforced. What are they gonna do if you don't have one? deport
you?

Make your life hell for a day or two and slap a heavy fine on you.

Keith

Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Norm wrote:
Traveling westbound from NY Thruway (I-90) to QEW toward Hamilton.

Any current opinions on best crossing point?

Interested if any current construction or changes would change
recommendations between the Peace and Lewsiton Bridge when going from
I-90 Westbound in NY to QEW in Ontario toward Hamilton.

Last year we took the Peace Bridge and traffic seemed to flow better but
was 5-10 miles longer as I recall. So about the same time or slightly
longer overall.

We will be crossing into Canada about 3PM on a Saturday.

Thanks for any tips.

Good day

there are three bridges one at Buffalo two at Niagara -rainbow &
lewiston you can get an hourly update 5 min after the hour by calling
1-800-715-6722

this number will work from either side of the border

if you are going to see the falls best time is at sundown under the lights

enjoy your visit

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Nathan Perry

In article ,
Smiles wrote:

Norm wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't recommend the Rainbow Bridge for going to Hamilton, since it
dumps you right into Niagara Falls. You can get right on the 420 from
there to the QEW, but you'll wind through surface streets on the NY side
to get the bridge.

Of course, if Niagara Falls is your destination then Rainbow is ideal.
Whirlpool Bridge used to be the better option but I gather it is no
longer open to casual tourists (and even in the past, you had to cross
during certain hours).
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message Smiles
was claimed to have wrote:

Canada does ask for photo id a passport is best but not required
it is to reenter the US

Canada won't generally let you in unless they're satisfied you'll be
able to leave.

However, it's very much at the discretion of the border guard, as a
Canadian I could easily get in without any identification at all since
they can look me up based on my provincial ID.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.travel.usa-canada
Larry Sheldon

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message Smiles
was claimed to have wrote:

Canada does ask for photo id a passport is best but not required
it is to reenter the US

Canada won't generally let you in unless they're satisfied you'll be
able to leave.

However, it's very much at the discretion of the border guard, as a
Canadian I could easily get in without any identification at all since
they can look me up based on my provincial ID.

That would not be "without any identification at all" would it.

My experience with Canada is that not only do you have to have the exit
papers in order to enter, you have enough money to live one for the time
you will be there.

In an early trip to Alaska, we didn't carry much cash, depending on
credit cards and checks (this was 40 or so years ago) and we had to
spend an painful time dealing with the hostile Quebecois before they
would let us to having our camper ransacked.

--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml