st. thomas beach

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nekochan

Default st. thomas beach

I really dislike shore excursions, and was thinking of just grabbing a
cab to/from a beach on St. Thomas.

My questions a

1) Which beach is a good one for snorkeling
2) Do I need to arrange with one taxi or is there a line of taxis
usually waiting?

OR, when I step off the boat would I be able to arrange a snorkeling
excursion?

Thanks in advance
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

nekochan wrote:

I really dislike shore excursions, and was thinking of just grabbing a
cab to/from a beach on St. Thomas.

My questions a

1) Which beach is a good one for snorkeling

I recommend Coki Beach - it is also right next to Coral World (the aquarium). Or
else go to St. John on the ferry - most beaches there are good - Trunk Bay,
Cinnamon, and Waterlemon were good when we were there.

2) Do I need to arrange with one taxi or is there a line of taxis
usually waiting?

Taxis will be waiting.

OR, when I step off the boat would I be able to arrange a snorkeling
excursion?

I haven't seen anything like that but there may be something.

Thanks in advance

Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
nekochan wrote:

My questions a

1) Which beach is a good one for snorkeling
2) Do I need to arrange with one taxi or is there a line of taxis
usually waiting?

Coki Beach on St. Thomas or Trunk Bay on St. John. Trunk Bay is better
snorkeling and a better beach but requires taking a taxi to Red Hook
and then a ferry to St.John and another cab to the beach. Coki just
requires taking a taxi. There will be many taxis waiting. There is also
Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. It has a better beach than Coki and there
is snorkeling, but not as good snorkeling as Coki.

OR, when I step off the boat would I be able to arrange a snorkeling
excursion?

I don't think so. I think the cruise lines keep the independent
operators off the the dock and terminal area. There are only taxi's.

--
Charles
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nekochan

What about a taxi back from Coki Beach? Are they readily available?
Are there refreshments available for purchase?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
nekochan wrote:

What about a taxi back from Coki Beach? Are they readily available?
Are there refreshments available for purchase?

Taxi's are readily available but the taxi driver who takes you will
want to take you back and set up a time when he drops you off. If you
decide to go back early then drivers will call up the other driver and
some of then will practicably have a fit if you don't wait for the
original driver. They have some kind of associations and unwritten
rules among themselves. Refreshments are available and there are
restrooms.

--
Charles
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_7_]

We like Meghan's Bay and think it is the best beach around.
There are always a bunch form the ship heading there and you can usually get
a ride from someone renting a car.
We will be there in December and if we see you walking along the road we
will stop for you.
Taxi's there are inexpensive.
The ship offers a tour there, but these days the tour prices are going
sky-high and are becoming a no value.
The snorkeling at Meghan's bay is passable not excellent, visibility depends
on the tide.
The bay is in a protected area and snorkeling is easy.
We have done it numerous time, but these days are snorkeling days are coming
to an end.
The other beaches recommend on here are on the far side of the island and
more remote and the taxi will be more.
We always found Meghan's Bay a treat, especially the waitress service in the
water for drinks.
G&V

Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
mike

nekochan wrote:
I really dislike shore excursions, and was thinking of just grabbing a
cab to/from a beach on St. Thomas.

My questions a

1) Which beach is a good one for snorkeling
2) Do I need to arrange with one taxi or is there a line of taxis
usually waiting?

OR, when I step off the boat would I be able to arrange a snorkeling
excursion?

Thanks in advance

Without question - Coki Beach. Beautiful snorkeling and they have an
underwater observatory as well. Gorgeous
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
mike

nekochan wrote:
What about a taxi back from Coki Beach? Are they readily available?
Are there refreshments available for purchase?

Last time we were there, we simply walked up to the gathering spot where
the cabs were, jumped in one and away we went. The "cab" are (for the
most part) open air buses sor of. They generally try and wait until they
have a few people on the the thing then they head back. Piece of cake...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Coki Beach is fabulous, and easy to get to by cab, which are always
waiting at the pier. Listen for other passengers also taking taxis,
and perhaps you can share a ride in at least one direction, although
many passengers will be heading for Megan's Bay, which does not have
good snorkeling.

Once you get to Coki Beach, you find find an extensive beach front
that is well maintained, with lots of shacks with amenities behind the
beach front. When snorkeling, be sure to swim your way around towards
the observation tower of the aquarium. The snorkeling by the rocks
below the welcome center and around towards the observation tower is
incredible--lots of variety and plenty of good light for photography.
Be a bit careful of the current in this area--it tends to get stronger
in the mid to late afternoon, but it is wonderful for seeing lots of
fish!!

Our website has a bit more information: www.pegndereksnorkeling.com
under US Virgin Islands, and fish pictures that might be helpful to
identify what you will see!

Bestest,

PegNDerek

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nekochan

Thanks to everyone. Now if we could just figure out how to get the
clocks to move faster....