Eastern Usa- Canada

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

Smiles wrote:
Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a
border
fee because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats
why most do not allow it Check before you get caught

Probably worth checking, but returning a rental is not the same as
importing a vehicle and selling or abandoning it because ownership
does not change hands at any point. It was Alamo's car when you
rented it and it's still Alamo's car when you drop it off.

Now, turns out that (at least according to National) there's a gotcha.
Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian legislature, a
Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada border in a
US-registered rental car, but can in a Canadian-registered rental car.

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Mark Brader" wrote in message
J. Clarke:
To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to
make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The
travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for
one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between.
I haven't tried it, but it might not be possible to rent one-way
from
the US to Canada these days.
Even if you can there's probably a hefty dropoff fee.
Alamo is showing 120.88 total for one day pick up in Boston, drop
off in Quebec. No mention of a dropoff fee. This is less than
half the air fare.

Thats a very good deal.

Keith

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old February 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 2/12/08 7:03 AM, in article , "Jochen
Kriegerowski" wrote:

"Smiles" schrieb

Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a border
fee because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats why
most do not allow it Check before you get caught

Since when is that?
October 6, 2001 I rented a car in Toronto, from Alamo, which had Florida
license plates.

Jochen from Germany

A Canadian Resident can not drive a car in Canada with American licence
plates. This is a Customs regulation. It is because automobiles are
generally cheaper (until recently) in the US. It is designed to stop
Canadians from buying, licencing and insuring cars in the states and then
bringing them home and driving them regularly. A resident can bring in a car
legally as long as he/she pays duty and taxes at the border.
--
Martha Canada

Old February 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

MI wrote:

A Canadian Resident can not drive a car in Canada with American licence
plates. This is a Customs regulation. It is because automobiles are
generally cheaper (until recently) in the US. It is designed to stop
Canadians from buying, licencing and insuring cars in the states and then
bringing them home and driving them regularly. A resident can bring in a car
legally as long as he/she pays duty and taxes at the border.

That is contrary to what I was taught about cabotage and commercial vehicles.
American trucks are allowed to bring loads into Canada, to take loads out of
Canada and to operate point to point as long as they were not carrying a load ,
but could operate point to point if the driver was Canadian.

Old February 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Smiles" wrote in message
Alamo normally does not have a drop off fee but they may have a border fee
because you can not leave a US car in Canada and vis versa thats why most
do not allow it Check before you get caught

They say not, I checked.

Keith

Old February 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

J. Clarke:
Now, turns out that (at least according to National) there's a gotcha.
Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian legislature, a
Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada border in a
US-registered rental car ...

That's wrong -- as correctly stated elsewhere in the thread, the rule
applies to Canadian residents, not citizens. It's a customs issue.

Some years ago I was told by a rental company that it actually did not
apply if the car was taken into Canada and dropped off at the first
convenient point, or something like that. In particular, that it was
permissible enter via I-5, drive as far as Vancouver, and return the
car promptly there. I make no assertion that this is generally true,
or even that it was really legal then.
--
Mark Brader | "As a professional, it's my job to take a slightly dim
Toronto | view of the ... people who will look at my code next.

Old February 14th, 2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Mark Brader wrote:
J. Clarke:
Now, turns out that (at least according to National) there's a
gotcha. Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian
legislature, a Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada
border in a US-registered rental car ...

That's wrong -- as correctly stated elsewhere in the thread, the
rule
applies to Canadian residents, not citizens. It's a customs issue.

It's only "wrong" if it doesn't apply to citizens.

Some years ago I was told by a rental company that it actually did
not
apply if the car was taken into Canada and dropped off at the first
convenient point, or something like that. In particular, that it
was
permissible enter via I-5, drive as far as Vancouver, and return the
car promptly there. I make no assertion that this is generally
true,
or even that it was really legal then.

According to both National and Alamo the car gets siezed at the
border.

Old February 14th, 2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kane

Mark Brader wrote:
J. Clarke:
Now, turns out that (at least according to National) there's a gotcha.
Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian legislature, a
Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada border in a
US-registered rental car ...

That's wrong -- as correctly stated elsewhere in the thread, the rule
applies to Canadian residents, not citizens. It's a customs issue.

Some years ago I was told by a rental company that it actually did not
apply if the car was taken into Canada and dropped off at the first
convenient point, or something like that. In particular, that it was
permissible enter via I-5, drive as far as Vancouver, and return the
car promptly there. I make no assertion that this is generally true,
or even that it was really legal then.

The last I heard and this was about 7-8 years ago it probably was not
strictly legal but customs inspectors may have some discretion. I know
of at least one case where a family was returning with a rental because
their car was wreaked in the USA and customs made a specific exception.
I think the "drop off at the first convenient point" principle applied.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

J. Clarke and I (Mark Brader) wrote:

Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian
legislature, a Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada
border in a US-registered rental car ...

That's wrong -- as correctly stated elsewhere in the thread, the
rule applies to Canadian residents, not citizens. It's a customs issue.

It's only "wrong" if it doesn't apply to citizens.

Right. Immigration cares about citizenship; Customs doesn't.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Whatever you are, be out and out,