New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

Old June 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default New York waiter's worse nightmare? - Europeans

Calif Bill wrote:

I want my coffee filled and water refilled without having to signal.
Discreetly done as in a good restaurant. And the Gratuity at the end of
meal in Europe is on the bottom of the bill. Already figured in. Does not
matter if the gratuity was deserved or not. The gratuity is added to the
bill in the USA for large parties in most places.

If it is on the bill it is not a "gratuity", it is a "service charge".
There's nothing wrong with adding a service charge if that is
customary for that country, or is mentioned on the menu. But a
"gratuity" is optional.

I'd rather do away with both and just include service in the
listed food price.

Doug McDonald
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Buster[_5_]

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"John Kulp" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:26:00 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

And I have had no visits from the server after getting served in
Europe.
No question as to the meal, no refill, nada. That is very rare in
America. Not as rare in Europe.

Big place Europe! I've rarely suffered indifferent service in France.

Maybe you did not stop in enough places. I have spent a goodly amount of
time in most of Europe and England, and have had several bouts of poor
service. I have also had excellent service, same as here in the states.
have also seen French be snotty and **** off the madam who ran a place in
Ouchi region of Lusanne.

Serves you right for going to a whorehouse.

I see you do not understand anything about Europe from that statement.

Kulp is a stalker and a troll.

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

John Kulp wrote:

It's absurd! It's a job! Adequate pay should be expected as well as
adequate performance. Charge accordingly. I'd be happy to pay a bit
more to assure consistency.

Well, it would insure indifferent crappy service when they know they
don't have to make any effort to earn the tip, wouldn't it?

they'd get fired wouldn't they? Just like I would if I didn't do my job.