Driving from San Francisco to San Diego in Late Feb

Old February 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matti J Kinnunen

Default Driving from San Francisco to San Diego in Late Feb

See

http://www.helsinki.fi/~mjkinnun/Blo...06.notesfromCA

--
- matti

* http://www.iki.fi/mane/blog.html
*
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,

No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles
from Half Moon Bay.

Go down 101 and Hollister has an air museum, and Watsonville
Airport may have a museum.

There's also one in San Carlos, exit at Ralston, just a bit beyond
our airport.

Cathy Kearns wrote:
If you take 101, about 30 minutes south of San Francisco is the
Hiller Aviation Museum and Institute in San Carlos

Ah, yes, that's the one I meant.

Pismo Beach (I think cars can drive on the sand, I haven't seen it,

I've done it, several times, in cars and on motorcycles.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
"San Francisco is a pleasure. Los Angeles is a headache" Rita (NYC)
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old February 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

interesting scenery

Be sure to take the "17-Mile Drive", a scenic road around the coast of
Monterey which has spectacular ocean views and numerous overlooks. Do
a Google to see some typical photos. You've got to pay a few bucks
toll as it's a private road owned by Pebble Beach Resorts (go to
pebblebeach.com and click the '17-Mile Drive' link at the bottom).

The south end of the 17-Mile Drive ends at the picturesque town of
Carmel, where you'll find a Spanish Mission, a nice public beach, some
interesting cottages in the "Storybook" style and a Frank Lloyd Wright
home overlooking the ocean, and just south of Carmel is Point Lobos
Park, where you'll find walking trails with dramatic ocean views. The
official site is http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/, but do a search
of Google Images to get a better idea of how it looks.

Further south, many photo oppportunites in the Big Sur area, such as
the Bixby Bridge http://www.mikelevin.com/BigSurBridge800.jpg, and
of course Hearst Castle.

Jim

Old February 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
.. .
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,

No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH" but it
is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

Old February 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that DrDad wrote in article
. com:

I have the whole last weekend in February to drive from SF down to the
SD area. I'll have by brand new DSLR camera with me, so I'm looking
for suggestions of where to stop/stay enroute to find interesting
scenery and people to photograph. Cars and airplanes are also
favorite subjects, so please tell me of any interesting museums along
the way.

If your schedule and plans fit, consider Chino, roughly forty miles east
of downtown Los Angeles, with a large collection of planes (they claim
150) covering the history of flight. http://www.planesoffame.org/

Chino is less than ten miles from Interstate 15 which would take you on
to San Diego by an inland route.
--
Don Kirkman
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,

No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH"

It is certainly not! It's the Cabrillo Highway.

but it is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

True.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A pedantic curmudgeon in San Francisco

Old February 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,
No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH"

It is certainly not! It's the Cabrillo Highway.

but it is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

True.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A pedantic curmudgeon in San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

It is still the coast highway. 1 is addressed as the coast highway.

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article .net,
Calif Bill bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:

It is still the coast highway. 1 is addressed as the coast highway.

Actually, people in the Bay Area call it Highway 1.

However, your new wording is technically correct; it is a coast
highway. It is not the Pacific Coast Highway.

Patty

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:06:43 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
. ..
Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,
No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH"

It is certainly not! It's the Cabrillo Highway.

but it is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

True.

It is still the coast highway.

Indeed. Most of the way. Much nof it is a bit far from the actual
coast.

1 is addressed as the coast highway.

It is even the Pacific coast highway (or more grammatically, the
Pacific coastal highway). But it is not the Pacific Coast Highway
north of Goleta.

Old February 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,
No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH"

It is certainly not! It's the Cabrillo Highway.

but it is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

True.

It is still the coast highway.

Indeed. Most of the way. Much nof it is a bit far from the actual
coast.

1 is addressed as the coast highway.

It is even the Pacific coast highway (or more grammatically, the
Pacific coastal highway). But it is not the Pacific Coast Highway
north of Goleta.

And who the hell but you refer to it as the Cabrillo highway, at least from
Monterey south?