Driving from San Francisco to San Diego in Late Feb

Old February 7th, 2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default Driving from San Francisco to San Diego in Late Feb

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:24:14 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:06:43 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
m...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (1), you will go
right past Half Moon Bay airport,
No, you wont! The Pacific Coast Highway is farther than 250 miles from
Half Moon Bay.

No it is the Coast highway and it is 1. May not be the named "PCH"

It is certainly not! It's the Cabrillo Highway.

but it is the Pacific Coast and it is Highway 1.

True.

It is still the coast highway.

Indeed. Most of the way. Much nof it is a bit far from the actual
coast.

1 is addressed as the coast highway.

It is even the Pacific coast highway (or more grammatically, the
Pacific coastal highway). But it is not the Pacific Coast Highway
north of Goleta.

And who the hell but you refer to it as the Cabrillo highway, at least from
Monterey south?

I expect most call it Hwy 1. But the question is not who calls it
Cabrillo Highway, but who calls it Pacific Coast Highway.

Google maps indicates its name through the Big Sur area is
Cabrillo Highway, but it also indicates addresses are given as
Highway 1. Google maps also indicates the name as Cabrillo
Highway through Monterey. And through Morro Bay.

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:24:14 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
[...]

Every Highway has a name. Few use them. Just like most major overpasses
have names. The ???? Memorial Overpass. Named after a former cop or
highway worker most of the time.

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Calif Bill wrote:
And who the hell but you refer to it as the Cabrillo highway, at
least from Monterey south?

The question is "Who but you does not?" I'd like to see the section
from Carmel to San LuĂ*s Obispo renamed the "Big Sur Highway" but,
until it is, I usually call it by its name, the Cabrillo Highway but
sometimes I refer to it as the Cabrillo/Big Sur Highway.

Every Highway has a name. Few use them. Just like most major
overpasses have names. The ???? Memorial Overpass. Named after a
former cop or highway worker most of the time.

If I'm driving and the radio says there's a traffic jam on Highway
101, I need to know whether it's the Redwood Highway, where I'm not,
or the Bayshore Highway where I am and should pay attention to the
report and maybe drive around it. "Highway 101" is a distraction.
"Redwood Highway" has nothing to do with where I am and is,
therefore, not a distraction.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
"San Francisco is a pleasure. Los Angeles is a headache" Rita (NYC)
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:00:47 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
. com...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
[...]

That's why most of us just call it Hwy 1.

But PCH really is named PCH through some of the LA area.

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:00:47 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:24:14 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote:
[...]

I realize the PCH is named PCH on the street signs in parts of LA. My
daughter and her husband live near the PCH in Seal Beach. But there are
some that are anal retentive regards the Cabrillo Highway and some of the
other highway names.

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 4:12 am, Icono Clast wrote:

If I'm driving and the radio says there's a traffic jam on Highway
101, I need to know whether it's the Redwood Highway, where I'm not,
or the Bayshore Highway where I am and should pay attention to the
report and maybe drive around it. "Highway 101" is a distraction.
"Redwood Highway" has nothing to do with where I am and is,
therefore, not a distraction.

Occasionally I will listen to KGO (Bay Area Talk Radio - 810/AM) while
driving in the Los Angeles area in the evening. It comes in
reasonably well, sometimes so well that you can forget that it's an
out-of-town station.

When the traffic report comes on, there's usually a problem on some
X80 interstate or on one of the bridges; those are instant reminders
that it's a bay area station. One night the lead traffic problem was
on 101 in the South Bay. We in L.A. have US-101 and we have a South
Bay; however, our 101 doesn't go anywhere near our South Bay. On that
occasion, it took me a few extra moments to realize that this traffic
report didn't apply to me.

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
"Highway 101" is a distraction. "Redwood Highway" has nothing to
do with where I am [when on Bayshore] and is,
therefore, not a distraction.

. . . One night the lead traffic problem [on KGO received in Los
Angeles] was on 101 in the South Bay. We in L.A. have US-101 and
we have a South Bay; however, our 101 doesn't go anywhere near our
South Bay. On that occasion, it took me a few extra moments to
realize that this traffic report didn't apply to me.

It wouldn't've taken you a millisecond had it said highway Redwood or
Bayshore and would have called your attention had it said Hollywood
or Ventura.

Hatunen wrote:
It is . . . the Pacific coastal highway). But it is not the
Pacific Coast Highway north of Goleta.

Actually the Cabrillo Highway ends in Goleta but the Pacific Coast
Highway doesn't begin until Ventura. Where highways 1 and 101 run
together there, I know not its name.

San Onofre State Beach
Highway 1 = El Camino Real to
Camino Capistrano, San Clemente
Highway 1 = Pacific Coast Highway to
Oxnard Boulevard in Ventura near El Rio
whence to Gaviota it's Highway 101 to
Northern Edge of Gaviota State Park where it's the Cabrillo Highway
until it Joins Highway 101 at Longview Avenue, Grover Beach then
Splits from Highway 101 at Los Palos Drive, San Luis Obispo until
it becomes the Shore Line at the San Francisco City Limits. Through
The City it's Nineteenth Avenue, Crossover Drive, Park-Presidio
Boulevard, Veterans Boulevard, Doyle Drive, and the Golden Gate
Bridge. Crossing the City Limit, it joins the Redwood Highway to
Bolinas Street in Mill Valley and remains the Shoreline Highway to
Leggett.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
. . . in L.A., you cannot trust air you cannot see -- Len

Old March 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
The Bobert

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

Google maps indicates its name through the Big Sur area is
Cabrillo Highway, but it also indicates addresses are given as
Highway 1. Google maps also indicates the name as Cabrillo
Highway through Monterey. And through Morro Bay.

Google is not the final word. CA 1 has MANY names depending on where you
live. You won't be misunderstood very often if you just call it Hwy 1.

I lived in Big Sur for 22 years and never saw a sign calling it the
Cabrillo Hwy.

Highways and even freeways will sometimes have a segment named for
somebody. This only add to the confusion IMHO.

Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), to me, is the stretch through the LA mess.
(Santa Barbara to Mexico)

There are as many names as there are governments to "rename" a short
portion of the road in memory of somebody.

Just call it Hwy 1 and 99% of the people will know of which you speak.
--
Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!

Bob in Carmel, CA
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:37:26 GMT, The Bobert
wrote:

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

Google maps indicates its name through the Big Sur area is
Cabrillo Highway, but it also indicates addresses are given as
Highway 1. Google maps also indicates the name as Cabrillo
Highway through Monterey. And through Morro Bay.

Google is not the final word. CA 1 has MANY names depending on where you
live.

That's what I've been saying.

You won't be misunderstood very often if you just call it Hwy 1.

Precisely.

I lived in Big Sur for 22 years and never saw a sign calling it the
Cabrillo Hwy.

Nevertheless, that's its official name, by state law.

Highways and even freeways will sometimes have a segment named for
somebody. This only add to the confusion IMHO.

Sure.

Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), to me, is the stretch through the LA mess.
(Santa Barbara to Mexico)

That's what I've been saying all along. Have you rad much of the
thread up to this point?

There are as many names as there are governments to "rename" a short
portion of the road in memory of somebody.

Just call it Hwy 1 and 99% of the people will know of which you speak.

That's true. But by state law it's the Cabrillo Highway from
where Hwy 1 leaves US 101 north of Santa Barbara to where it
meets I-280 south of San Francisco.

Old March 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

The Bobert wrote:
I lived in Big Sur for 22 years and never saw a sign calling it the
Cabrillo Hwy.

Then you must be blind. There are several 'tween Carmel and Morro
Bay. Always have been.

Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), to me, is the stretch through the LA mess.
(Santa Barbara to Mexico)

Read on.

At San Onofre State Beach Highway 1 = El Camino Real to Camino
Capistrano, San Clemente then it's Pacific Coast Highway to its end
at Oxnard Boulevard in Ventura near El Rio

From there to the northern edge of Gaviota State Park, it's replaced
by Highway 101

Then it's the Cabrillo Highway until it becomes Highway 101 (El
Camino Real) at Price Street, Pismo Beach then

Splits from Highway 101 at Los Palos Drive, San LuĂ*s Obispo until
it becomes the Shore Line Highway at the San Francisco City Limits.

Through The City it's Nineteenth Avenue, Crossover Drive,
Park-Presidio Boulevard, Veterans Boulevard, Doyle Drive, and the
Golden Gate Bridge.

Crossing the City Limit, it joins the Redwood Highway to Bolinas
Street in Mill Valley whence it's the Shoreline Highway to Leggett.

A pedantic curmudgeon in San Francisco