Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

Default Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people onthe news...

Jim Davis wrote:

Everyone is forgetting about rescheduling their flight (if
cancelled). Before the hotel thing can be done, you have to stand in
line at the service counter, behind 100 other people. Service?? A
row of telephones. Knock a couple of hours off your time for that
wonderful experience.

I always wonder why in this day when almost everyone travels with a cell
phone, why many people will stand in long lines to rebook a flight at
the ticket counter. Just phone the airline's toll-free 800 number to
rebook.

- Peter
Old June 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:40:57 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
Of course there are. Not cheap ones near those two but they are
atypical. BWI has a Motel 6 nearby, so does Newark.

Probably only marginally relevant, but I've had considerable trouble
finding a room in the greater Washington area without a reservation.
Especially near BWI.

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

Binyamin Dissen wrote:

And there are those that would say that not having a $5K cushion isn't "doing
a very good job of contingency planning". Or $10K.

Just because you feel comfortable with the magic "$100" figure does not mean
that others feel the same.

Many travelers do their best to save $25. Why should they blow $100 on a
hotel?

Because a good night sleep is important to ones health. Poor sleep
weakens ones immune system, and having a weakened immune system when
traveling on an airplane really isn't a good thing.

- Peter

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:09:59 GMT Peter Lawrence wrote:

:Jim Davis wrote:

: Everyone is forgetting about rescheduling their flight (if
: cancelled). Before the hotel thing can be done, you have to stand in
: line at the service counter, behind 100 other people. Service?? A
: row of telephones. Knock a couple of hours off your time for that
: wonderful experience.

:I always wonder why in this day when almost everyone travels with a cell
:phone, why many people will stand in long lines to rebook a flight at
:the ticket counter. Just phone the airline's toll-free 800 number to
:rebook.

And better yet, do it from a pay phone.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:16:06 GMT Peter Lawrence wrote:

:Binyamin Dissen wrote:

: And there are those that would say that not having a $5K cushion isn't "doing
: a very good job of contingency planning". Or $10K.

: Just because you feel comfortable with the magic "$100" figure does not mean
: that others feel the same.

: Many travelers do their best to save $25. Why should they blow $100 on a
: hotel?

:Because a good night sleep is important to ones health. Poor sleep
:weakens ones immune system, and having a weakened immune system when
:traveling on an airplane really isn't a good thing.

I guess that I am not as gentile as you.

Grow a set.

Old June 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
tim..... wrote:
"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just
fly the next day?

Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since
money doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room in a
Motel 6. Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his
travel budget isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

Depending on location, perhaps, $100 won't get you far. Most
near-large-airport hotels charge well over $100, especially on
short notice, plus you need to factor in transportation to/from
the airport as well.

Motel 6 O'Hare is $50.39 a night, tonight. BWI 53.99. LAX 59.39.
If you're stuck in NYC then you may be screwed.

$56.18 for Motel 6, actually.

Cab fare shouldn't be 50 bucks.

$12 each way, plus tip.

Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling,
checking in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well
be more restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi
ride?

Good point, don't forget to add $10 for Hotspot access.

So we're coming in right around $100 for what may end up being 4
hours of sleep, between transportation and a bit of grace to assume
the airport may well be a proverbial zoo when you return and
checking in may take longer.

I'm insanely jealous of people who can make a uselful sleep out
of 4-5 hours in a hotel. Even were the hotel free, if I had to be
back at the airport before 6:00 for my flight, I just know that I
would not get out of bed in time, so it is so much more certain
to just stay at the airport and suffer the lost night's sleep.

How often does one get to leave 6 hours after a _cancelled_ flight?

Allowing an extra 2 (or 3) hours for the aggro of queueing
for a re-booking and actually getting to the hotel, I would
have thought that this was quite normal if you are on an
evening flight. If you are on a morning or mid day flight I
would expect to be rerouted on the same day.

tim

Old June 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I have slept on the floor at O'hare airport. Was on expense account, so no
problem paying for the room. Closest room available was downtown. How do I
make the next flight available? Spend an hour to go downtown, check in to a
hotel, sleep 2 hours max, and hope to get a taxi back to the airport,
another hour to the airport to wait in line for a flight.

Old June 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
[...]

To some it's worth it, to others, it's not. If I had 6 hours to kill
and was headed to a business meeting, I'd probably hit the hotel and
get some sleep. If I was heading somewhere that I could sleep it off
on the other end, I'd stay at the airport.

If your flight was _cancelled_, per the original post, then either your
meeting has to be rescheduled or you're going to miss it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

And any Motel for $50-100 anywhere close to the airport is most likely
already booked.

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:19:09 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

If you are on a morning or mid day flight I
would expect to be rerouted on the same day.

tim

There have been a number of articles recently about the reduction in
the number of flights which leads to a higher load factor and more
difficulty in being accomodated on another flight.

You also seem to be making the assumption that there are many flights
to a particular destination available. That would not always be true.

Old June 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

J. Clarke wrote:
A hundred bucks? Perhaps, plus a taxi to and from hotel getting
at a location you have no idea where is or whether there's a
room available.

In 1876 Alexander Graham Bell invented a device called the
"telephone". Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with
it.

What good would that do? If someone in a place strange t'me tells me
where something is, it's meaningless. In another forum we're venting
our rage over hotels who claim to be where they're not thus
defrauding travellers who know no better.

I do. I check everything so I don't have to carry anything thus
giving me the same freedom of movement I have at home.

Including your cell phone and credit cards apparently,.

You have a vivid imagination and strange fantasies.