Driving rules of the road in Canada vs. US

Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Driving rules of the road in Canada vs. US

Rudy wrote on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:15:55 GMT:

Why? If there is no sign prohibiting a U turn, it is legal
at an intersection.

U Turns at intersections are illegal here in BC..No Signs

Interesting! Where do you make a legal U-turn in BC?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Bill":
If there is no sign prohibiting a U turn, it is legal at an
intersection.

"Rudy":
U Turns at intersections are illegal here in BC..No Signs

Rudy's right, almost. According to this:

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/RoadSe...oad_MV2075.pdf

U-turns are illegal in BC at intersections *with traffic lights*,
and also in a business district *except* at an intersection *without*
traffic lights. Or to put it more simply, at intersections with
traffic lights or in business districts between intersections.

I was surprised too. No such rule in Ontario, as you can see he

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...on2.6.11.shtml

(Note: in Firefox I had to select No Styles before the page would work
for me.)

I'm also reminded that in New York, NY, I've seen a *bus* making a
U-turn at a traffic-light intersection, not as an exceptional move
but as a normal thing at the end of its route (as opposed to the
usual options, looping around the block or pulling into an off-street
loop or terminal provided for that purpose).

Now I wonder what other states or provinces are similarly restrictive
of U-turns.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Domine, defende nos

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rudy[_1_]

U Turns at intersections are illegal here in BC..No Signs

Interesting! Where do you make a legal U-turn in BC?

Between intersections** (midblock), not on a hill or curve or 'where signs
permit' (Can't recall ever seeing one)
Many of our main streets DON'T have center medians** so you can often turn
left to get where you want to go, unlike where a center median exists and
you have to go to the end of the block and do a "U" turn to get back to
where you're trying to go.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Piotr[_3_]

Hello
There is a software available on line that shows all Road Rules
Differences between states and provinces.
Go and try it for free at www.aplusbsoftware.com
It is called Road Rules - US & Canada Driving Test by AplusB Software
Corporation

On Jun 23, 12:59*am, "Sharx35" wrote:
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

m...

"who" wrote in message
In article hFG5k.1845$sg6.1662@edtnps91,
(Király) wrote:

wrote:
I am a US citizen driving to vancouver. Are there any differences in
the driving rules-of-the-road in Canada vs. the U.S? I want to avoid
any unexpected citations.

There are some traffic rules in Vancouver that are different from what
you will experience elsewhere.

Flashing green lights are just like normal green lights, but they are
pedestrian controlled. *They never turn red until somebody pushes the
button.
Plus beware of flashing yellow lights. There is some (stupid)
application of them at crosswalks. You can proceed if there is no
pedestrian as your target in the crosswalk.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to California and saw people
making U-turns at intersections. *Definitely not permitted in British
Columbia.
Just look both ways for a car with several roof lights before trying it..

Why? *If there is no sign prohibiting a U turn, it is legal at an
intersection.

In Alberta it is illegal to make a U-turn at ANY intersection with traffic
lights.- Hide quoted text -