Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

Default Which is best Motel Chain for extended trip to the US.

"h.kight" wrote in message
Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

Why? Have they changed in the last 15 years.

In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of the
"quality" motels!

tim

Old June 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Brian" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:22:28 GMT, (Neville MADDEN)
wrote:

Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car and
staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days
Inn
eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who offers
the
best deal over an extended period.

Thans

Rosemarie and Neville in Australia

You can try going to
www.tripadvisor.com to get some reviews of
different places. It's not perfect but it can give you a general idea
of each individual location although there may not be reviews of each
motel especially in small towns.

I use that a lot ( and often upload my own pics/reviews for "not average"
stays)
Like this one : quick fog forced us to stop..
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nsylvania.html
Mine aren't all bad - I have "good" reviews there too.

Also - they have good 'ideas' for chosen topics:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Inspirati...ed_States.html

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:02:14 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"h.kight" wrote in message
.. .
Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

Why? Have they changed in the last 15 years.

In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of the
"quality" motels!

I do remember, though, a time when they had TV sets in the rooms
but you had to rent a special key to be able to watch them.

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:02:14 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"h.kight" wrote in message
. ..
Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

Why? Have they changed in the last 15 years.

In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly
some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels
who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of
the
"quality" motels!

I do remember, though, a time when they had TV sets in the rooms
but you had to rent a special key to be able to watch them.

Was that before I used them, or after?

(10-15 years ago)

tim

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Hatunen wrote:

I do remember, though, a time when they had TV sets in the rooms
but you had to rent a special key to be able to watch them.

Yeah, I remember that too. 50 cents extra for the TV, and B&W at that.
But that was back in the day when they rented rooms for $6-10. I drove
across the country in 1978 when it was $9.99/night. I remember finding a
rider to go with me from the ride board at U.C. Berkeley. When I went to
meet her she asked where we would be staying, and I said at places like
Motel 6. Her response was classic and I remember it to this day, "do you
think we can trust each other?"
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:45:27 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:02:14 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"h.kight" wrote in message
.. .
Google "extended stay motels" and avoid Motel 6.

Why? Have they changed in the last 15 years.

In all things you get what you pay for and whilst there are undoubtedly
some
run down 6s in slummy areas, most are perfectly adequate basic motels
who's
only negative is that they overlook the freeway, but then, so do many of
the
"quality" motels!

I do remember, though, a time when they had TV sets in the rooms
but you had to rent a special key to be able to watch them.

Was that before I used them, or after?

(10-15 years ago)

1960s. When they were $6/night.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_6_]

I know that I'm going to get flamed for this but if anyone in your group is
a smoker just trying to walk in and get a smoking room is getting to be a
problem in a lot of the US. There are a few chains that advertise that they
are all "smoke-free" properties so those of us who still smoke can just
cross them off. But there are some motels that are affiliated with other
chains which have gone "smoke-free" on their own. Check that before you
check in if it's important to you.

Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html

"SMS" wrote in message
news
Neville MADDEN wrote:
Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a 3 month tour of the US using a rental car
and staying in motels.

I have looked at the various motel chains such as Motel 6, Motel8, Days
Inn eyc and am wondering if anyone has any reccommendations at to who
offers the best deal over an extended period.

Nearly all motel chains are "virtual" with the corporation not owning any
of the properties. The owner of the property signs up with a specific
chain. In theory, the property is supposed to maintain standards set by
the motel chain, in reality this often doesn't happen. Staying in a great
Days Inn in one city means nothing in terms of how good or bad the Days
Inn in the next city will be. Best bet is to check hotel reviews on-line
for specific motels.

You get the best deals on motels by using those coupon magazines found in
motels, restaurants, and rest stops, but there's no advanced reservations
allowed. They are also online, "http://www.roomsaver.com/flashguide.php".
Basically these are deals the motels will give walk-ins if they can't sell
all the rooms with advanced reservations at a higher price. However you
have the risk of every motel in the area being sold out, especially if
it's a holiday weekend or if there is some special event going on (i.e.
college football games in college towns).

All that said, I've had the best experiences with La Quinta. I've only
been in one La Quinta that was dumpy.

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

MTV wrote:

I don't know your age, but if one of you is a senior you can get a
lifetime senior pass covering an entire car for $10.

And it's good for all nat'l parks and monuments, museums, etc.

You have to be a U.S. resident to get the America the Beautiful Senior
pass for $10. Non-residents can buy the $80 America the Beautiful
regular pass.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Hatunen wrote:

Here in the US we rarely book ahead, relying on the fact that so
long as we begin the search for a motel after about 16:00 we're
almost certain to find a room. Sometimes, when we know for
certain where we will be the next evening, we might make a
reservation for the same brand hotel before we depart; the desk
clerk will usually make the reservation for you.

Near some national parks, i.e. Yellowstone and Yosemite, during peak
season, not having a reservation can be dicey, and it's often a very
long drive to the next town.