seek clambake around Boston on Oct 24

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default seek clambake around Boston on Oct 24

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chro...ideo/19310829/

"Main Streets, Back Roads Mass North Coast: Segment Three"

However, without a car, I would not spend a day (getting there and back). Other than seafood it's only ' antiques for sale '. AND you'd be there in off-season. Watch the video.

I'd go to Durgin Park in town - it's "something to see" AND near tourist sites
http://www.durgin-park.com/web/Menu/...4/Default.aspx

then "Ye Olde Union Oyster House " also near Quincy Market.
Even if NOT hungry for oysters - it is something to see ( AND smell ).

http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/Pages/newmenu.html
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
ARC

"K" wrote in message
I don't know why MLD finds the train to Gloucester difficult. You get
on, you get off, just like any other train. Just make sure you're where
you want to be at each end. Thousands do it every day.

This thread started with the OP looking for a clambake meal, and I've
tried to stick with that. Gloucester is definitely a fishing town, but
it's also a city of Portuguese immigrants, and the Portuguese offer skills
with seafood like no other. For a fabulous Portuguese meal, take the
train one more stop to the Gloucester station. If it's dinnerime, just
follow your nose to the Azorean. If not, ask, but it's right there.

The Causeway can be great, but probably won't be in October when the
summer crowds are gone. When the customers are thick, they keep their oil
hot and fresh, but when the crowds go I think they re-use it, and are
willing to toss a meal in before the oil is ready for it. And it's hardly
a locals-only place. Maybe in winter, but the rest of the year, it's all
tourists. It's their advertising that says 'Where the locals go'

Keith, we found MBTA train to Gloucester @ Rockport line very interesting.
Can you please recommend a great seafood (preferable clambake NE type) place
for us Californians to try? Probably best if it is walking distance from
train station. Reading Causeway's dinner menu and Clam Box of Ipswich, their
seafood are deep fried or pasta. We have plent of these run of the mill type
of fish & chip here in Clifornia, This clambake video this is something we
wish to experience:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ient=firefox-a
also, for examples, we think this grilled Portuguese Sardines are great, and
we have been trying to find here in California too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VJCvgFAFMM

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
ARC

"K" wrote in message
[...]

Reading Causeway's dinner menu, the seafood entree are deep fried or pasta?
That is not what we call good seafood, isn't it?

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

ARC wrote:
"K" wrote in message
[...]

To reply to your last question first, the Azorean has grilled sardines and
peppers, and there is a place in Cambridge (Atasca, I think) that is noted
for them.

As for clambakes, I doubt that you'll find a 'real' one in late October, but
any lobster place probably has the proper ingredients on their menu.
Woodman's is still your best bet up Gloucester way, but Essex Seafood has
food that is as good. It's just that Woodman's has what you're looking for,
and if you chance upon a warm afternoon, there are outside tables that
overlook a beautiful salt marsh. Don't let the cab ride frighten you, it's
just a few minutes through a pretty and charming area.

Keith

Old July 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

ARC wrote:
"K" wrote in message
[...]

People like what they like. I'm personally not nuts about lobster, but my
family loves them. The Portuguese restaurants always have a dish that
combines clams and pork, and I love things like that. To me, there's no
finer meal than a dozen iced Blue Point Oysters followed by a plate of fat
Ipswich fried clams.

Fried seafood is as ubiquitous to New England as Fried Chicken is to parts
of the South, and good fry-pots are known far and wide.

Old July 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"K" wrote in message

ARC wrote:
"K" wrote in message
[...]

Heads Up - except for steamers, Woodman's is ALL fried seafood.
http://www.woodmans.com/restaurant.cfm
BTW - if you want to do the cooking, they'll "ship a clambake to you".
http://www.woodmans.com/store/

Across the street is their newly revamped "fancy restaurant" where you can
get broiled - much more $$$ though.

Others nearby also - just as good
http://www.visitessexma.com/essex_ma...staurants.html
JT Farnhams- down the street. etc
http://www.wedigclams.com/Menus.cfm

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
ARC

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Across the street is their newly revamped "fancy restaurant" where you can
get broiled - much more $$$ though.

Others nearby also - just as good
http://www.visitessexma.com/essex_ma...staurants.html
JT Farnhams- down the street. etc
http://www.wedigclams.com/Menus.cfm

Bob, thank you. Do you happened to have JT Franhams' menu?
Village Restaurant has baked & grill seafood, which is good.

Old July 10th, 2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

[...]

I beg your pardon, but Woodman's has a huge lobster pot, and they steam and
boil lobsters all day, every day. Look at your own link and tell me what
those steaming red things are if not lobsters. Farnham's is a great place
for fish fry, but all they do is fried, as does the Clam Box. A clambake
has nothing fried or broiled.

The OP is looking for a clambake, which is kind of a misnomer because it
refers to a meal that is entirely steamed. He won't likely find that beach
experience in late October, so I've been trying to give him alternatives
where he can find the same food minus the sand.

Old July 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"K" wrote in message
[...]

My context was referring to a piece of fish ( cited earlier in the message)

Old July 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"ARC" wrote in message
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Across the street is their newly revamped "fancy restaurant" where you
can get broiled - much more $$$ though.

Others nearby also - just as good
http://www.visitessexma.com/essex_ma...staurants.html
JT Farnhams- down the street. etc
http://www.wedigclams.com/Menus.cfm

Bob, thank you. Do you happened to have JT Farnhams' menu?

They just did the place over, so this MIGHT be dated:
( I did a google search for "essex,ma menu" and scrolled down to Farnham)
http://www.takeouttonight.com/menus/massachusetts/essex/01929/farnhams%20j%20&%20t's%20seafood%20&%20grill_97876 86643/dinner/index.html

Village Restaurant has baked & grill seafood, which is good.

It now seems like you're going to ESSEX and not downtown ?
more info:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/447425#3003047
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...idebar/1/print

a local restaurant show is called "Phantom Gourmet"
Go he
http://www.phantomgourmet.com/showpa...rchrestaurants
and choose your categories, areas and you'll see shops that have been
reviewed. It's a casual show so not like Zagat's but you'll get an idea if
shop is listed. Do a search for ' lobster ' and you'll see feedback like: "
YES! I had the lobster mac & cheese there ....and it almost brought a tear
to my eye....YES! it was that good. If a big guy from Dorchester could ever
have a Meg Ryan moment....that was probably it ".

http://forums.phantomgourmet.com/for...rch.aspx?adv=1
enter your search term then scroll thru messages beneath categories.

I'd say you've got enough info now to write a book about seafood shacks in
New England.
Good Luck.