Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

It's not a pleasant area to visit -- jam-packed with tourists and no
one else, because the developers took over a vast area, very unlike
the model developments at Boston's Faneuil Hall and Baltimore's Inner
Harbor -- and transportation is less than convenient, so I wouldn't
second SMS's advice to stay there.

Actually it was quite convenient and very uncrowded. We didn't spend any
time doing the touristy stuff down at the water. I can't see those
high-end shops down there surviving as the shopping area was like a
ghost town. Maybe it was the time of year (April). Lot's of business
people at the hotel, maybe because it's so close to the financial
district. Also parking is relatively cheap and easily available if you
drive in, unlike at hotels in mid-town and up-town. We rode bikes along
the greenway from the bike shop on the upper East side down around the
tip of Manhattan the back up the east side to around 72nd for our
standard visit to Schapiro and Fine deli (a non-tourist deli where the
prices are only high, not outrageously high). We did run into masses of
tourists for a short stretch near that Chinese ship thingee until past
Battery Park (they really need to ban pedestrians on those paths!).

The Fulton street subway station was a short walk away, and the Brooklyn
Bridge/City Hall station was a little bit further. Great late night
cheap food was a ten minute walk away in Chinatown, and then you could
continue walking to the Lower East Side and on to Union Square. When the
new 2nd Avenue subway line is complete there will be an even closer
subway station.

"http://i30.tinypic.com/155tac6.jpg"

We definitely did not regret not staying in the Times Square area. I
can't stand that level of touristy stuff.
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Joseph D. Korman wrote:

What's the problem with that *IF* they were planning to visit any of the
Battery/South Ferry areas anyway? And that goes with any other activity
they might have planned. They still can save half of their
transportation expenses for the whole week, if they are eligible. Which
apparently they are not - from another post by ATM.

So by your logic, they should come to visit NYC and do nothing, except
walk around, since anything else will cost money which they are not able
to save by the reduced fare.

You always throw a curve ball out when you realize that you've made a
mistake in another post (saying that the Metrocard half fare cards had
to be bought in Brooklyn).

Ah I wondered what was going on here with so many clueless comments by
Peter. One more for the filter list.
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-26 22:00:54 -0400, SMS said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
\
If you're less picky about which show(s) you see, you should go to the
TKTS booth in Times Square and line up (the line is long but moves
quickly) for "half"-price tickets to any Broadway or Off-Broadway show
that's not sold out (and various other events, too).

No, actually he should go to the TKTS booth at South Seaport which has
much much shorter lines. It replaced the one that was in the WTC. And
if he follows my excellent advice and stays at the Best Western Seaport
Inn on Peck Slip, he'll be right by the TKTS booth.
"http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56"

Also check "http://www.broadwaybox.com/" for discount tickets. For a
mid-week show you can usually get good discounts. But for Wicked, which
is a top-tier show, discounts are unlikely, and you'll likely pay over
the regular price.

Don't forget to watch the New York City video at
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF_nxXJO5s" for good advice about
steep discounts on Broadway shows, and other ways to save money in NYC.

And check out www.hitshowclub.com

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-27 11:52:18 -0400, "Joseph D. Korman" said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 25, 6:25 pm, SMS wrote:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

And the $13.50 saved is approximately equal to the Statue of Liberty
Ferry ticket, and a lot less than the South Street Seaport admission.
MoMA, Whitney, and Guggenheim all also ask $18-$20. (The Guggenheim is
pay-what-you-wish on Saturday evening.)

What does one have to do with the other?

It was a response to Joseph's recommendation that they turn around and
spend their entire savings from the discount on a single tourist
activity.

What's the problem with that *IF* they were planning to visit any of
the Battery/South Ferry areas anyway? And that goes with any other
activity they might have planned. They still can save half of their
transportation expenses for the whole week, if they are eligible.
Which apparently they are not - from another post by ATM.

So by your logic, they should come to visit NYC and do nothing, except
walk around, since anything else will cost money which they are not
able to save by the reduced fare.

You always throw a curve ball out when you realize that you've made a
mistake in another post (saying that the Metrocard half fare cards had
to be bought in Brooklyn).

Can we all spend more time helping ATM to enjoy NYC rather than have
him waste his valuable time on the PATH?

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-24 00:06:30 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

On 2009-08-23 08:28:39 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer

said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes

on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. *NJT is more expensiv

e ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). *You can get to

33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Squ

are,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. *It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/fro

the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.

That is the time for the ride, but the trip has to be considered
"door-to-door".

You make it sound like its 5 minutes from the hotel (which could cost
just as much as one in the city) to WTC.

I guess you've never walked out the main entrance of the Hyatt and
crossed the street to the Exchange Place PATH entrance.

Thats right. I never have.

This isn't the first time that Mike has replied to a tourist's
questions with bull****.

What is "bull****" about my post in this thread?

Please be specific.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

On 2009-08-24 00:06:30 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

On 2009-08-23 08:28:39 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer

said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

If the traffic is right, you can get from midtown to the WTC in five
minutes.

And I don't believe what you said about your friends staying at the
Afinia Hotels... you don't have friends.

Phil
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-24 00:06:30 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

On 2009-08-23 08:28:39 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels" gramma...@verizon.

ne

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer

said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

Oh my dear drunkard, Phil Clarke.

What part of this conversation has to do with vehicular traffic to/from
midtown and WTC?

Please keep your prejudice and incoherant thoughts to yourself.

But to be back on point....What is "bull****" about my post in this thread?

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:25 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:56:59 -0700 (PDT), Phil
wrote:

If the traffic is right, you can get from midtown to the WTC in five
minutes.

And if it isn't, which is often the case?
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:54 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:05:33 -0700, "ATM"
wrote:

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good priced
ticket and less crowed?

Unfortunately, there is no dress code. I wore a jacket the first night
and felt wildly overdressed. It may change as the weather gets cooler.

Weekends will be more expensive and more crowded. I don't know if this
still happens but there used to be bus companies that would run buses
for the Wed. matinees.

We did get discount tickets through travelzoo but I don't know if the
have any shows listed now.

The following site will show which shows were sold through TKTS. Not
all shows would have available tickets for all times. For example,
tickets might be available on Tuesday but not on the weekends.
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v

They aren't discounted but we have been able to get good tickets to
sold out shows by going to the box office. One time we got good
orchestra tickets to The Producers with Lane and Broderick the day
before. Someone had just turned in 8 tickets.
Another time we got tickets for a show at 4 PM for that evening. There
are some tickets that are held for celebrities, etc., and if not sold,
they are released about then.

Old August 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

wrote:

If the traffic is right, you can get from midtown to the WTC in five
minutes.

And if it isn't, which is often the case?

Thirty-first and Seventh to the WTC is a quick ride on the West Side
Highway.

Phil