Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

Old October 12th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Dave Hitt

Default Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 06:52:16 GMT, "goeth" wrote:

dude, your website makes baby jesus cry.
ouch! i mean damn!

Wow, you got that right. That is UUUUUUUUGLLLLLY!

Now, the concept is a fine one, but you need to learn and apply some
very basic design before advertising this any further. It just
*screams* "I'M AN AMATUER! I Know How to CREATE UGLY."

Step one - go to http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/ and read the entire
site. When you're finished, read it again. Be sure to visit the
examples of other sites - it's easier to spot the ugly in other
people's work than it is in your own.

Step two - based on what you learn there, start from scratch and make
a new site that doesn't attempt to burn a visitors eyes out. Remove
anything that blinks or flashes. Get rid of the number one sign of
being a rank amateur - the waving flag. And the number two sign,
changing the colors of the browser scroll bars. (That's also rude).
And the number three sign - a field of stars for the background. And
the number four sign, yellow text on a red background. And the number
five sign, six pages of information jammed into one page. And the
number six sign, a dozen banners at the end of the page.

Step three - learn the joys of br.

Step four - after you've improved the page as much as you can, sign
into alt.www.webmasters. Hang out and read anything there regarding
design for a couple of weeks. Apply everything you learn.

Step five - Post a message there asking for a critique of your site.
Do this last. If you do it now, some usenet servers might not have
enough hard drive space to store the lists of your design flaws. But
do it after you've made it the best you can, and you'll gain some
valuable insight.

You've got a good idea, but there is so much ugly on that page that no
one is going to spend any time there.

---
Don't settle for watching Improv on TV. See it live, and join in the fun!
http://www.insertsomethingfunny.com/index.php
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dave Hitt pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
Step four - after you've improved the page as much as you can, sign
into alt.www.webmasters. Hang out and read anything there regarding
design for a couple of weeks. Apply everything you learn.

alt.html and alt.html.critique would be even better. These are more about
authoring and design than the webmaster group.

Then there are the comp.info.www groups...

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.
Old October 12th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

Well it might be a roaring success.
800 odd people per 2+ trip sounds like it might meet the demand.
How many people from the Toronto area go to Rochester each day, by plane,
car, rail, bus?
All I know is I have no reason or desire to visit Rochester. At 200,000+
people, it's not like a major center.
Now if it docked in Buffalo, it might appear to make economic sense.

I have seen no studies that say such a service is needed. I have seen no
statisitics that establish that there is a need or a market. But I am sure
the American company that will be running it, that got the City of Toronto
to donate lands for a port, must have some reason to think it will be a
success. Of course it could be just another o fthe majority of new
businesses that go bankrupt, based on an unrealistic business case.

Of course in field of dreams, they say "if you build it they will come". But
where is the evidence that they will come?
It makes more sense to build a highspeed ferry to Hamilton. It's tice the
size of Rochester and no customs required.
So I suppose if the America company wants to gamble their money, they have
that right. But why did the City of Toronto gamble our land? What is their
cut? Regardless of the name, it's an American company, so no profits for
Canada.
And obviously Canada is where the customer base will come from, even though
the demand will be from Rochester to Toronto, not Toronto to Rochester

But I guess if we want money to develop our water front, we can forget the
ongoing promises from the Province and the Feds and just get American
investors to develop it and take all the profits south of the border. After
all isn't that the Canadian way?

Negativity, perhaps? But realistic never the less!

"zooando" wrote in message
om...
Ron,

First I'd like to say great job with the message board. Keep up the
good work. My next comment is to those who have come out to criticize
Ron. Do you people enjoy always being so negative in your life?! All
I've seen here is complaining for the sake of complaining. The ferry
isn't even here and you guys are already berating it. How does
anyone know if it is going to succeed or not? I bet all you critics
won't even step foot on the boat next spring, but will continue to
cast your negative light on it. If you really dissaprove of the ferry
why don't you all get involved in politics and create your own
policies and programs and do something constructive with all your
negative energy. For all you people on the south side of the lake: I
DON'T GET YOUR THINKING!!!!!! ARGH! You've all complained on here for
years that theres nothing going on here, nothing to do, nothing
positive being done. Now that something positive is FINALLY BEING
DONE you complain about it too. What the hell?!!!

I'm sure I'll get a backlash from this, but I'm just sick of the
negativity in the area.

Ron, you've been doing a great job with your websites showing off the
area and getting people talking on your message boards. Keep up your
positive thinkin & feelings for the area.

---
e-mail: AMcomNOSPAM(you get the
idea, I hate SPAM)
supporter:
http://www.billjohnson2003.com
http://www.e-datingtips.com
http://linkrochester.zooando.com

(RocPic.Com) wrote in message

Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

Spring 2004 holds the promise of Toronto Canada and Rochester New York

being
bridged by the three daily journeys of the CATS Fast Ferry.

My name is Ron, I live in Rochester NY, I am the webmaster of

http://rocpic.com
and in anticipation of the joining of the Rochester and Toronto

communities, I
have opened up the "RocYtz" BBS.

http://rocpic.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

I chose the name RocYtz based on the three letter code for the Rochester

and
Toronto airports.

I have also created and registered a RocYtz chat on irc.dal.net . For

those
familiar with IRC just go to irc.dal.net #rocytz . I am also the

founder of
#rochester .

For those not familiar with IRC, I have created an easy to use Java

based page
that will offer you RocYtz chat, Toronto Chat, and Rochester Chat via a

drop
down menu.

Here is a chat instruction page

http://www.rocpic.com/discus/message...tml?1065745620

I am reaching out to Rochester and Toronto based message groups on

Yahoo, MSN,
and USENET. I feel this is a great opportunity for all parties to meet

on
common ground.

It's BRAND NEW, so don't be put off by the lack of activity, be one of

the
first to contribute to what could be a very interesting Canadian and

American
BBS & Chat.

Thank You.

ron_m

Rochester & Toronto Message Board
http://rocpic.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

RocYtz Chat irc.dal.net Jpilot Java connection.
http://www.rocpic.com/discus/message...tml?1065745620

Rochester Weather Web Cams & Photo Archive
http://rocpic.com

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:12 AM
rms1

Yankeefan wrote in message

I know..let's pump 14 million into a boat..all we have to do to
raise the funds is do away with libraries, teachers and their
support staff, and any extra-cirricular activities that might
keep
the kids minds off of criminal enterprises...Yeah, that's the
ticket!!!

We can have both. Who said we couldn't?

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:14 PM
zooando

Hey, you have a great point. Who the heck knows if this service will
be a success, or just another company that goes bankrupt. Down here
in Rochester the ferry has been mentioned in the local paper, or on
the local tv news about once a week since the project got approved
about a year ago. And even before that when it was just plans &
blueprints the ferry was getting talked about a lot. I've also talked
with a lot of people and I hear much of the same thing: we'd rather
relax and enjoy the trip accross the lake rather than drive up to
Toronto on the QEW. I guess coming from an area of 200,000+ we aren't
used to a densly packed expressway system, lol. I do think you're
right in saying that more Americans will be heading north than
Canadians heading south. I've always loved heading up to Toronto for
Blue Jays games, and to check out the arts & entertainment, and the
restaurants & lovely cafe's. For me this ferry makes Toronto seem all
that much closer and easier to get to.

Oh, I just found the website of the company running the ferry --
http://catsfastferry.com/

Andy

---

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:17 PM
nightwriter

"zooando" wrote in message
om...
[...]

and ultimately, that's a great thing, for us in toronto and for those from
roch. i am curious about the negativity though. it feels as though it
comes from 'news syndrome': ie, happy stories don't sell... people like the
drama so they create it, oft times unnecessarily.

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

Well somebody is really excited about the ferry service!
First I don't mean to put the ferry service down, or dampen the excitement
so many people feel about this service.
I think you just put the missing context into the discussion. In a town of
200,000+, a ferry service is BIG news!
In a city of 4.3 million its relegated to the back pages, and most people
are not even aware of it. I wasn't until it was posted here - not this time,
but the last time. And yes, a couple of ou newspapers have written about it.

We have an airport on one of the Toronto Islands. It's not a major airport,
but it is busy. It is a favorite of the business class of travelers going on
short trips. They want to expand the airport to service jets, because now it
just services small propeller driven planes. There is split support for
expansion. Bay Street (Canada's Wall Street) loves the idea of jets, while
envronmentalists hate the idea, and then there is the middle ground. That
little airport is the one that is YTZ.
Not the busiest Airport in Canada, YYZ or the 10th busiest airport in Canada
YRZ, all which are Toronto airports.
So it's okay if you want to pick our smallest airport to identify with, but
it may be a mistake if you want Torontonians to identify with it in a big
way.

What is making news - well that airport loses 2 million dollars a year. That
is why they want to expand it. More planes, and longer range jets would
generate more business, more business means more flights, more flights means
more fees for the airport, and more fees could mean a profit. The Airport is
minutes away from the downtown core, where the highest density of the
population lives and works. Yes, people actually live in downtown Toronto,
in great numbers. But the only way to get to the Island is by ferry boat.
These are not high speed ferries. They were mostly built in the early 1900's
and have been in service for years and years. They ferry people to the 5 or
so Toronto Islands, including the Island airport.
They have been talking about building a bridge. Build it and they will come
type thinking again. And again there is a split. SHould it be a fixed link,
or a draw bridge? The thing going in favour of the draw bridge is it won't
interfere in a busy harbour's boat traffic, the thing against it is that it
takes longer to open and close than the ferry ride across the channel.

So, when it comes to that airport, and ferries, and getting more travellers
to use the Island airport, a high speed ferry to Rochester just doesn't have
the same kind of news worthyness here, and won't capture the headlines, or
the imagination of the people. That doesn't mean that it is a bad idea.
Obviously people from Toronto do go to Rochester, but I don't think it is a
main tourist destination. Toronto is a major tourist destination, so perhaps
there are a lot of Rochester residents that would like to have an
alternative to highway driving, enjoy a scenic, relaxing trip across the
lake, and have their cars to use when they get here. Gee, and it can hold
almost .5% of the population of Rochester on one go!

Also our city giving land for a depot/port is kinda lost on the scale of the
waterfront. Toronto lost most of it's water front to industry over the
decades. And while most that land has been reclaimed, as a city we have been
wanting to redevelop the water front for the people, and to be a showcase to
the world. Nice dreams. It's been over 20 years and not much has been
re-developed. A project of that scale requires a lot of money. Even in
American dollars, a lot of money. Business alone cannot afford it. The city
can't afford it. We need money from the province and the feds to get
construction going. And that is messy politics. But we just changed
provincial governments. They are Liberals, the same party as the Feds in
power. And they are pro cities, and will work together, rather than against
each other, so the money may be coming. In contrast to the sale of that, the
High Speed Ferry is like developing one square of sidewalk on a long and
busy road. Not that it won't improve that piece of sidewalk, but when the
whole sidewalk is to be re-developed, the one square doesn't get much
attention. It is overshadowed by a much larger, much more newsworthy
initiative that has way more importance to the residents of Toronto.

We haven't built very much on the re-claimed waterfront lands. Lets see, um,
the worlds largest free standing structure - the CN tower. The Skydome,
which is not the worlds largest Domed stadium. but the only one with a
retractable roof that works and continues to work. And Harbour Front. You
talk about our expressways, well we have the Gardiner Express way that runs
above Lakeshore Blvd, and that cuts off pedestrian traffic to the lake. We
want to tear it down, or bury it. But it still stands and still cuts of
access to the waterfront. So you can see why we can't, don't or won't get
excited over a high speed ferry between Rochester and Toronto. But we could
get excited about getting a NFL franchise Even if CFL is dying in this
city. It might be a more exciting version of football, but it can only
attract second string talent.

So when you don't get the reaction you expect, when Torontonains don't share
the excitement, it's not so much negativity, it's more boredom, like who the
hell cares. And then a few comments as to why nobody here really cares. But
that doesn't mean we don't wish our friends in Rochester a great success.
Who knows, maybe all the tourists that come to visit our fair city, and end
up on the waterfront in the great numbers that they do, many will decide to
take the Ferry to Rochester and make it part of a day trip. I mean if the
opportunity is there staring them in the face, its a 2 hour ferry ride, you
might get a lot of shoppers taking up the service. after all Canadians love
cross border shopping, deals abound!
So between the two groups, it might just very well fly. Who knows, maybe
even more ferries will have to be put into service?

But what is making big news in Rochester isn't even getting a yawn in
Toronto. Like I am sure our recent subway extension didn't even get a yawn
in New York City! So perspective is key to how people look at events.

"nightwriter" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

om...

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

You might be able to have both?
If it is very successful and makes money, then there is income to tax.
If it brings a thousand people in every trip and they spend money in the
Rochester economy that will generate more income to tax. Business will be
up, the economy will be stronger, the tax base will increase, and you might
see a lot more than the $14 million dollars invested coming back in new tax
dollars that can be invested in your schools, libraries, etc and more jobs.
But if it is a flop, then it's money lost. But hey, the city of Toronto gave
the land for a Toronto port for the ferry, and we are running at a
$250,000,000 shortfall. Are we screaming that we gave the land - not sold
it? No!
We are just commenting on the need, and will it be used. And what we are
being told is a lot of people from Rochester like to come and visit our
city. So I guess we don't mind helping out friends Besides we are not taking
the risks, and can benefit from the tourism. So it can only be a good thing
all around - especially if it is a successful venture.

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:08 PM
goeth

Holy geez
Check out todays (monday oct 13) toronto star for a look at the catamaran
that is being used for this.
It is freaking huge! Looks like a BC Ferry for gods sake.

I am uncertain as to what the deal is here, but that is a big boat to be
servicing T.o-rochester.
yikes.

And dude promoting it, seriously, get a professional web designer to do your
site. It is really ghastly and it certainly doesn't give creedance to the
service when one looks at the boat itself.

:
[...]
: "zooando" wrote in message
: om...
[...]
: ---