Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

Old October 13th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Yankeefan

Default Fast Ferry Rochester Toronto BBS & Chat

"Defender of Enormous Manhood" wrote in
. cable.rogers.c
om:

You might be able to have both?
If it is very successful and makes money, then there is
income to tax. If it brings a thousand people in every trip
and they spend money in the Rochester economy that will
generate more income to tax. Business will be up, the economy
will be stronger, the tax base will increase, and you might
see a lot more than the $14 million dollars invested coming
back in new tax dollars that can be invested in your schools,
libraries, etc and more jobs. But if it is a flop, then it's
money lost. But hey, the city of Toronto gave the land for a
Toronto port for the ferry, and we are running at a
$250,000,000 shortfall. Are we screaming that we gave the
land - not sold it? No!
We are just commenting on the need, and will it be used. And
what we are being told is a lot of people from Rochester like
to come and visit our city. So I guess we don't mind helping
out friends Besides we are not taking the risks, and can
benefit from the tourism. So it can only be a good thing all
around - especially if it is a successful venture.

"rms1" wrote in message
.
net...

Yankeefan wrote in message

I know..let's pump 14 million into a boat..all we have to
do to
raise the funds is do away with libraries, teachers and
their support staff, and any extra-cirricular activities
that might keep
the kids minds off of criminal enterprises...Yeah, that's
the ticket!!!

We can have both. Who said we couldn't?

First off, the city of Rochester is one step away from

becoming the New Buffalo...we have a severe case of urban
flight...The Homeownership rate in the city proper has
fallen below 40%... absentee landlords are abandoning
properties at alarming rates..The tax base has been eroded
so severely that students in public schools are actually
sharing textbooks!!!There is a 38 million dollar deficit
in the school budget alone...

I fail to fathom how, giving quicker access to Toronto is
going to alleviate even slightly, the eroding tax base.
Surley the people of Toronto are not going to line up
for a chance to shop at Kaufmans, or Wegmans, or to see
a show at the 1500 seat Auditorium Theatre. Not when they
have the likes of Eaton's or the Pantages.. Toronto is the
Big Apple of the North...It would be akin to establishing
a ferry between Hoboken and Manhattan...Are people really
going to visit Jersey, when they have the upper eastside
out their doors?

For that matter, how many viable months of operation are
truly available given the winters in both cities?

I forsee two winners in this proposal...CATS (boats sold!!!)
and Toronto..( more American cash in their coffers.)

Old October 14th, 2003, 12:37 AM
zooando

"Defender of Enormous Manhood" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
Well somebody is really excited about the ferry service!
First I don't mean to put the ferry service down, or dampen the excitement
so many people feel about this service.
I think you just put the missing context into the discussion. In a town of
200,000+, a ferry service is BIG news!
In a city of 4.3 million its relegated to the back pages, and most people
are not even aware of it. I wasn't until it was posted here - not this time,
but the last time. And yes, a couple of our newspapers have written about it.

When I wrote my first message about the negativity I wasn't trying to
single you out. You have given me a huge insite into the importance
of this project in the big picture of development in Toronto. I've
just been getting disgusted with other people here in Rochester who
seem to enjoy being negative their entire life. We do have a lot
going on in this community, but there are always people who will talk
negatively about there being nothing to do; then when something new
comes to the area these same people will talk negatively about this
too. The Greater Rochester Area may not have professional sports
teams, but we do have a handful of minor league teams. We have
baseball, hockey, arena football, indoor and outdoor laccross. The
quality of the sport is still good, and makes for a fun evening out.
We're also close enough to the Finger Lakes and all the wineries. And
the festivals almost everyweekend from May-October are also very fun.
All in all I think we've got a nice community here. And even if we
aren't the final destination for Canadians coming south, they will be
passing thruogh on their way to whever it is they'll be going. And
maybe, just maybe they'll catch their eye on something and will want
to come back. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

main tourist destination. Toronto is a major tourist destination, so perhaps
there are a lot of Rochester residents that would like to have an
alternative to highway driving, enjoy a scenic, relaxing trip across the
lake, and have their cars to use when they get here. Gee, and it can hold
almost .5% of the population of Rochester on one go!

LMAO!!

So between the two groups, it might just very well fly. Who knows, maybe
even more ferries will have to be put into service?

I guess only time will tell. I'd like to go up to Toronto for a
weekend on the ferry next year with my fiance. I'm not really sure
what we'd like to see. I've been there before, but she hasn't, so I
was thinking of at least taking her up to Casa Loma. And I'm sure
just by walking up & down Yonge St. (am I spelling it correctly?)
we'll find interesting shops, restaurants, & sidewalk cafe's. In all
honesty I don't know a whole lot about what is in Toronto besides
theatre productions, Casa Loma, Eaton Centre, the CN Tower, and Sky
Dome. The last time I was in Toronto I remember walking on Yonge St.
and being mesmerized by all the activity and hustle & bustle of that
street.

Andy

---
e-mail: AMcomNOSPAM(you get the
idea, I hate SPAM)
supporter:
http://www.billjohnson2003.com
http://www.e-datingtips.com
http://linkrochester.zooando.com
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

"zooando" wrote in message
om...
"Defender of Enormous Manhood" wrote in message

.cable.rogers.com...

I guess only time will tell. I'd like to go up to Toronto for a
weekend on the ferry next year with my fiance. I'm not really sure
what we'd like to see. I've been there before, but she hasn't, so I
was thinking of at least taking her up to Casa Loma. And I'm sure
just by walking up & down Yonge St. (am I spelling it correctly?)
we'll find interesting shops, restaurants, & sidewalk cafe's. In all
honesty I don't know a whole lot about what is in Toronto besides
theatre productions, Casa Loma, Eaton Centre, the CN Tower, and Sky
Dome. The last time I was in Toronto I remember walking on Yonge St.
and being mesmerized by all the activity and hustle & bustle of that
street.

Andy

Well you might want to explore Queen Street West, maybe Yorkville, perhaps
the Waterfront, or the Toronto Islands, maybe Ontario Place, the Ontario
Science Center, the ROM or AGO, check out the PATH system (Underground
shopping tunnel system connecting many buildings in the downtown core), High
Park, Edward Gardens, Honest Ed's, the theatre district, Kensington Market,
China Town, Little Italy, Greek Town, as a few suggestions

---

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Yankeefan wrote:
It would be akin to establishing a ferry between Hoboken and
Manhattan...

There IS a ferry between Hoboken and Manhattan.

miguel

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Greg Johnson

What will the food service be like on the ferry, and what will be the
tipping policy?

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:32 PM
rms1

Miguel Cruz wrote in message

There IS a ferry between Hoboken and Manhattan.

The Hoboken ferry to Manhattan helps business in Hoboken in that passengers
on their way to NYC pass through Hoboken and patronize businesses there.
The same is possible for Rochester. It would mean a new route up to Canada
for travelers all over the Northeast, with Rochester as a gateway port.

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:41 PM
nightwriter

"rms1" wrote in message

Miguel Cruz wrote in message

There IS a ferry between Hoboken and Manhattan.

The Hoboken ferry to Manhattan helps business in Hoboken in that

passengers
on their way to NYC pass through Hoboken and patronize businesses there.
The same is possible for Rochester. It would mean a new route up to

Canada
for travelers all over the Northeast, with Rochester as a gateway port.

true. and the more options for travellers, the better. this is kind of
interesting. i'd probably take a day trip to rochester just for the fun of
it.

Old October 14th, 2003, 04:50 PM
T. D.

So totally off topic of the ferry, but regarding YYZ....

"YYZ" is also the name of the third track on Rush's "Moving Pictures", a
1981 release widely considered to be one of Rush's finest works.

In 1982, "YYZ" was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental.

Woo Ha

"Defender of Enormous Manhood" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Well YTZ is better for Rochester size wise. Even though the name of YKZ

is
more reminicant of Rochester. YYZ is much better Suited for New York City.

Besides YTZ is in the Lake. This is a kick off of another transportation
service that will also be in the lake, likely appealing to the same
corporate clientel.

I think ROCYKZ sounds better than either ROCYYZ or ROCYTZ, but hey what is
in a name? And hwen you figure that one out - what is in Rochester. I mean

can see why people in Rochester would like to go to New York City or the
City of Toronto, but I don't see why people in New York City or the City

of
Toronto would want to go to Rochester.

Seriously, what appeal or draw would a small American Town of 220,000

people
have for the 2nd and 5th largest cities in North America. Really, besides

high speed ferry service that isn't going to make any money, what is going
on in Rochester?

"nightwriter" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
yeah, i know the one. it's our island airport. it's a small commuter
airport. YYZ is pearson international and has a million people a day go
through it. but it's your bbs. good luck again

"RocPic.Com" wrote in message
In article

ogers.com,
says...

just a quick correction: toronto's main airport, "pearson

international",
has the 3 letter code of "YYZ".

good luck with the BBS!

I checked a couple of sources before I made my choice

http://www.lastupdate.com/aircodest.html

http://www.travelersnet.com/Airport%20Codes/T.htm

And they list two airports, YTZ and YYZ
I liked the sound of RocYtz better than RocYyz

Thanks

ron_m

RocYtz BBS
http://rocpic.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Rochester NY Weather Web Cams
http://rocpic.com

Old October 14th, 2003, 05:49 PM
rms1

T. D. wrote in message
So totally off topic of the ferry, but regarding YYZ....

"YYZ" is also the name of the third track on Rush's "Moving Pictures", a
1981 release widely considered to be one of Rush's finest works.

In 1982, "YYZ" was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental.

Woo Ha

Later, Rush released another instrumental on their "Roll The Bones" album
called "Where's My Thing?" And on their "Counterparts" album, they followed
up with "Leave That Thing Alone." Neither one of these instrumentals has
the staying power of "YYZ," which sounds great over two decades later.

Old October 17th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Shadow Self

"goeth" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
dude, your website makes baby jesus cry.
ouch! i mean damn!

I agree... it looks like it was designed by David Voisine.