Driving to Canada, what to expect...

Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:31 AM
Alex

Default Driving to Canada, what to expect...

Hi folks,

My girlfriend and I want to spend a week in Toronto next month for our
vacation, but neither of us has ever been to Canada. We live in
Texas, and to save on flight costs, we hope to fly to Buffalo, NY and
drive the 100 miles to Toronto. I guess the issue is we aren't sure
what to expect.

I know a passport isn't needed (or is it?), and I assume there's some
sort of checkpoint when passing between the US and Canada.. but what
do we need other then standard ID? Also, is there any fee to cross
into Canada?

Oh... and should we get Canadian currency before entering? The flight
we hope to take is on Sunday (cheapest), so would it be a good idea to
get a couple of hundred Canadian dollars before hand?

Thanks for any info and assistance... oh, and one more question. Any
suggestions on a nice B&B in the Toronto area?

Take care,

Alex
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:33 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Alex wrote:

My girlfriend and I want to spend a week in Toronto next month for our
vacation, but neither of us has ever been to Canada.

I know a passport isn't needed (or is it?), and I assume there's some
sort of checkpoint when passing between the US and Canada.. but what
do we need other then standard ID?

Technically, you don't need a passport. But since you need a photo
ID *and* proof of whatever citizenship you hold, a passport is the
easiest way to do both.

Also, is there any fee to cross into Canada?

Not unless you drive your car onto a ferry. ;-)

Oh... and should we get Canadian currency before entering? The flight
we hope to take is on Sunday (cheapest), so would it be a good idea to
get a couple of hundred Canadian dollars before hand?

If you have a bank card that works in other countries (i.e., it has
a Cirrus or other interbank logo on it), you can just get cash from
an ATM when you get to Canada.

Thanks for any info and assistance... oh, and one more question. Any
suggestions on a nice B&B in the Toronto area?

A friend and I had a very nice time for a couple of nights at Banting
House (http://www.bantinghouse.com/). Yes, a former home of the doctor
who discovered insulin. It's a Victorian house on a quiet residential
street, yet it's just a few blocks from Bloor St. I'm sure there are
many other very nice B&Bs in TO that you can choose from depending on
which part of the city you want to base yourselves in.

Patty

Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM
David Gee

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Passport not necessary, good solid ID is; should be able to show
residentail address & photos; employment details useful, ditto military
card, etc.

Checkpoints are non-threatening; you can save a bit on booze, perfumes,
etc. if you can find a duty-free store on the US side, ditto on return
trip; do *not* take food products across in either direction, chocolates
excepted, of course!

Remember the universal rule: there are *no* funny jokes at borders.

Currency exchange is almost always cheaper at the destination; use ATM's
and your bank will do the exchange at that day's best rate; be sure to
use BANK ATM's, not free-standing no-name machines that charge double or
triple service fees;

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
John Ramsay

Alex wrote:

[...]

Make sure in advance you can take your
rental car across the border.

Birth certificate and photo ID with
same name are enough proof.

Peace Bridge toll is $2.50 U.S. going to
Canada. Not collected on way back. N Falls
bridges charge each way.

There's a Duty-Free Shop on the Buffalo
side. On your left after you clear the toll booth.

You can buy stuff - beer, cigs, perfume, etc -
in US $ and ask for Canadian change.

There's a currency exchange right after the
Canadian Customs booths before you hit the
Queen Elizabeth Highway to Toronto.

There's a Duty-Free on the Canadian side
where you can get rid of Canadian currency
on your way back.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:15 AM
Richard

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 06:34:37 GMT, "David Gee"
wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Although you may be let in if you have the stuff listed above, it is
not what is legally required and thus you could be turned away.
Personally I wouldn't take the risk.

Assuming that you are a U.S. citizen you need proof of identity (e.g.
driving licence) AND proof of citizenship (e.g. birth certificate or
naturalization card). A passport serves both purposes in one.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
JoelN

What they all said above me, plus, bring lots of warm clothes, January can
be very, very cold, or quite nice. So be prepared.
Also, Buffalo seems to get nasty winter storms.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Bill Pittman

In article 1oWyb.91842$oN2.66116@edtnps84,
"David Gee" wrote:

Passport not necessary, good solid ID is; should be able to show
residentail address & photos; employment details useful, ditto military
card, etc.

More is needed on the way back, to get into the US, than to get into
Canada. Be prepared for some questions that may seem intrusive, and
possibly a half-assed search of the trunk.

Checkpoints are non-threatening; you can save a bit on booze, perfumes,
etc. if you can find a duty-free store on the US side, ditto on return
trip; do *not* take food products across in either direction, chocolates
excepted, of course!

Remember the universal rule: there are *no* funny jokes at borders.

Currency exchange is almost always cheaper at the destination; use ATM's
and your bank will do the exchange at that day's best rate; be sure to
use BANK ATM's, not free-standing no-name machines that charge double or
triple service fees;

It's also a great convenience to use credit cards abroad, including
Canada. The exchange is automatic and at the best rate available that
day - minus, it's true, a service charge imposed by the card issuer but
it shouldn't matter much during a short trip.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:12 PM
Jim Battista

(Alex) wrote in
om:

My girlfriend and I want to spend a week in Toronto next month for
our vacation, but neither of us has ever been to Canada. We live
in Texas, and to save on flight costs, we hope to fly to Buffalo,
NY and drive the 100 miles to Toronto.

My folks did that coming up for our wedding and it worked fine. Double
check that your rental car company is okay with taking the car over the
border.

Also check with flying to Detroit or Lansing and entering through
Detroit/Windsor or Port Huron/Sarnia. Port Huron might be quicker even
flying into Detroit -- you spend more miles in MI where the speed limit
is much higher.

I know a passport isn't needed (or is it?), and I assume there's
some sort of checkpoint when passing between the US and Canada..
but what do we need other then standard ID?

D/L and birth certificate.

Also, is there any fee to cross into Canada?

There's often a toll to cross the bridge.

It's more-or-less non-threatening. The border agent asks you your
citizenship, destination, and purpose of visit. At the NY entries,
they seem to usually ask for ID; at Port Huron I get asked less than
50% of the time.

Then they'll ask you if you're bringing any firearms or other weapons
into Canada. And since you're from Texas, they might well ask you
something like "And do you have any guns back home in Texas?"

Oh... and should we get Canadian currency before entering?

NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

You can get money with just about any American ATM card. And even if
you can't because your ATM is screwy or you haven't had a chance yet,
stores and restaurants near the border will often offer good exchange
rates as an inducement. And all the normal credit cards work.

Thanks for any info and assistance... oh, and one more question.
Any suggestions on a nice B&B in the Toronto area?

There are jillions! Try toronto.com . You'll want to be close to the
Yonge or Bloor subway lines. I stayed at one near the Rosedale stop
that was nice enough.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.