Are You On Uncle Sam's No Fly List?

Old February 9th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Rick

Default Are You On Uncle Sam's No Fly List?

"Peter Neenan" wrote in message hlink.net...

"Jim Davis Sr" wrote in message

"Anon" wrote in message
s.com...

"jake" wrote in message ...
CBSNewYork.com
2-7-4

Are You On Uncle Sam's No Fly List?

Think of the great opportunities for expanding such a list. People who are
delinquent on their taxes, student loan payments, other obligations to the
government could be detained for a "discussion" as to why they are in
default. This could result in getting lots of additional monies owed to the
government paid on a more timely basis. All it would take would be a few
business travelers being held for "consultation" before word began to spread
that one had better pay off legitimate debts.

Ah yes, and one short step left to debtor prisons. George W. Bush's
wet dream.

Rick

Old February 9th, 2004, 06:34 AM
alohacyberian

"Gordon Burditt" wrote in message
I'm on their "Watch List" which is a step down from the No Fly List. I

fly
2 to 4 times a week. Each time at the ticket counter, my name is

"Flagged"
& I then have to go through additional screening, as well as my luggage.
Delays & missed flights are the result. I'm now involved with the class
action lawsuit through the ACLU. But the best part is, that they still

deny
the list exists.

I'm sure there's no chance I'm going to be allowed to get on a
commercial airline, nor survive the attempt if I ever try. I'm
supposed to carry with me a device which in operation counts down
seconds (that is, it looks and acts like a bomb timer). Along with
it, I have a clearly dangerous device whose purpose is to induce
bleeding: a lot more dangerous than the verboten electric razors
and tiny pocket knives. (It's called a blood glucose meter, and
associated lancing device for getting a drop of blood to test.)
I am lucky I do not have to carry with me syringes and vials of
what looks like a biological weapon (but is actually insulin).

Should the issue ever come to court, I'm sure that the court will
rule that the security officer had reasonable cause to shoot me,
and if the issue is not rendered moot by the fact that I am dead,
that I was not breaking the law attempting to bring the device on
board an airplane. That won't be much comfort to my surviving
relatives.

Gordon L. Burditt

I think you're over-reacting as I'm sure there are many frequent flyers with
insulin dependent diabetes who fly regularly and carry the same equipment you
do. Personally, I'm always subjected to extra searching, etc. even on
inter-island flights in Hawaii because I could easily pass for an Arab or
Middle Easterner. I take it in stride and if those extra inconveniences to
people like me cause one less plane to be hijacked or crashed it's worth it.
I'm sure the next time a plane is hijacked and used as a weapon to kill
people besides those on the plane, the self-same people who are screaming
their heads off now, the ACLU included, will be blaming Bush for that too and
making other such partisan political remarks. Hysteria helps no one. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old February 9th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Keith Willshaw

[...]

I wonder how my sister in law who carries those self same
devices in addition to her insulin manages then ?

Should the issue ever come to court, I'm sure that the court will
rule that the security officer had reasonable cause to shoot me,
and if the issue is not rendered moot by the fact that I am dead,
that I was not breaking the law attempting to bring the device on
board an airplane. That won't be much comfort to my surviving
relatives.

Do you enjoy your hysteria or are you simply someone
who wallows in self pity ?

For the record I have a titanium implant in my right leg which
invariably trips metal detectors , it usually costs me no more than a
minute or so in terms of delay. Fortunately most security
people show more good sense than you have exhibited.

Keith

Old February 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:27:55 GMT "PTRAVEL" wrote:

:Good luck, Jim. This is outrageous. Last time I looked, there is still a
:5th Amendment, which provides that you cannot be deprived of property rights
:(in this case, the contractual right to board an aircraft) without due
:process of law.

A refund would easily address that.

Think outside the box.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Matt Drury

Are You On Uncle Sam's No Fly List?

This is one of them rhetorical questions, I see. I'm just glad my parents
had the good sense to not name me after someone on that mystery list.

--
http://mattdrury.net/travel

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Casey

Good luck, Jim. This is outrageous.

Yes it is, but the only cure is regime change. Don't forget to vote.

Last time I looked, there is still a 5th Amendment,

You really need to read the Patriot Act. Citizens, as well as non-
citizens, can now be arbitrarily stripped of their constitutional rights.
In my opinion, any congresscritter who voted for the PA deserves
to be voted out of office.

Casey

Old February 9th, 2004, 03:36 PM
PTRAVEL

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:27:55 GMT "PTRAVEL" wrote:

:Good luck, Jim. This is outrageous. Last time I looked, there is still

:5th Amendment, which provides that you cannot be deprived of property

rights
:(in this case, the contractual right to board an aircraft) without due
:process of law.

A refund would easily address that.

No, it would not. Compensation would have to be the fair market value of
not being able to board a plane, whatever that is.

Think outside the box.

Old February 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
None

"Casey" wrote in message
link.net...

In my opinion, any congresscritter who voted for the PA deserves
to be voted out of office.

Were there any who didn't vote for it?

--
***/***/***
When life gives you lemons

***/***/***

Old February 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:36:41 GMT "PTRAVEL" wrote:

:"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
. ..
: On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:27:55 GMT "PTRAVEL" wrote:

: :Good luck, Jim. This is outrageous. Last time I looked, there is still

: :5th Amendment, which provides that you cannot be deprived of property
:rights
: :(in this case, the contractual right to board an aircraft) without due
: :process of law.

: A refund would easily address that.

:No, it would not. Compensation would have to be the fair market value of
:not being able to board a plane, whatever that is.

You would have to pay them.

: Think outside the box.

Old February 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM