Brits seeking advice for USA trip

Old June 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Sjoerd

Default Brits seeking advice for USA trip

"Gregory Morrow" schreef in
bericht link.net...

Sjoerd wrote:

I made the mistake of taking a holiday in LA and not renting a car. To

make
a long story short: I ended up hating LA. There is almost no public
transport, people in LA don't walk (that's why they are all fat there),

and
in general there is little to do or see in the city.

In some areas (namely Beverly Hills) the police will even stop and

question
you if you are walking around

I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a residential
neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals had
called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

Sjoerd

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:30:11 +0200 "Sjoerd" wrote:

:"Gregory Morrow" schreef in
:bericht link.net...

: Sjoerd wrote:

: I made the mistake of taking a holiday in LA and not renting a car. To
: make
: a long story short: I ended up hating LA. There is almost no public
: transport, people in LA don't walk (that's why they are all fat there),
: and
: in general there is little to do or see in the city.

: In some areas (namely Beverly Hills) the police will even stop and
:question
: you if you are walking around

:I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a residential
:neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals had
:called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

Might it have been at the time that little boys were going to school?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Sjoerd wrote:

I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a residential
neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals had
called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

Sjoerd

I was never stopped in Pasadena. Years ago I would regularly be stopped
while walking around in San Marino though. I thought it was fair
enough. Those living there rarely walk and certainly not at 1 or 2 in
the morning. After a while the third shift police got to know me and
would just drive by slowly, see it was the weirdo student, and go on.

Old June 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Sjoerd

"Frank F. Matthews" schreef in bericht
Sjoerd wrote:

I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a

residential
neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals

had
called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

Sjoerd

I was never stopped in Pasadena. Years ago I would regularly be stopped
while walking around in San Marino though. I thought it was fair
enough. Those living there rarely walk and certainly not at 1 or 2 in
the morning. After a while the third shift police got to know me and
would just drive by slowly, see it was the weirdo student, and go on.

Well, I was stopped at 11 AM or so. For a European, it was a very
enlightening experience. One must be really scared of *life* to report
someone who is just walking on the sidewalk minding his own business.

Sjoerd

Old June 16th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Sjoerd

"Binyamin Dissen" schreef in bericht
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:30:11 +0200 "Sjoerd"

wrote:

:"Gregory Morrow" schreef

in
:bericht link.net...

: Sjoerd wrote:

: I made the mistake of taking a holiday in LA and not renting a car.

: make
: a long story short: I ended up hating LA. There is almost no public
: transport, people in LA don't walk (that's why they are all fat

there),
: and
: in general there is little to do or see in the city.

: In some areas (namely Beverly Hills) the police will even stop and
:question
: you if you are walking around

:I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a

residential
:neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals

had
:called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

Might it have been at the time that little boys were going to school?

You are a very sick person Binyamin. When was the last time you saw your
psychiatrist or did you just forget to take your pills today?

Sjoerd

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Matt Robinson

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like San Francisco would be our best bet
for this trip.

--
Matt Robinson

Old June 17th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Gregory Morrow

Sjoerd wrote:

"Gregory Morrow" schreef in
bericht link.net...

Sjoerd wrote:

I made the mistake of taking a holiday in LA and not renting a car. To

make
a long story short: I ended up hating LA. There is almost no public
transport, people in LA don't walk (that's why they are all fat

there),
and
in general there is little to do or see in the city.

In some areas (namely Beverly Hills) the police will even stop and

question
you if you are walking around

I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a

residential
neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals had
called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!

That's what I mean when I referenced Beverly Hills - in 1980 I was walking
down Santa Monica Blvd. and thought I'd take a "detour" down some
residential streets to see how the "rich and famous" lived. A cop stopped
me, asking what I was doing...I simply replied that I was a tourist taking a
walk. No problem, but the local residents may get "suspicious" when they
see a stranger in their midst....

--
Best
Greg

Old June 17th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Gregory Morrow

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Washington DC has much that can be done without a car - weeks worth! But

not
a beach.

For that you can take a Greyhound bus out to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Old June 17th, 2004, 05:41 AM
alohacyberian

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
"Matt Robinson" schreef in bericht
But honestly, the only part of the US where one could have a nice time for
more than 2 days without a car is the city of New York.
Sjoerd

You forgot about Honolulu. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old June 17th, 2004, 05:41 AM
alohacyberian

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

I was stopped by the police in Pasadena when I was walking in a residential
neighbourhood on my way to a bus stop. The police told me some locals had
called them to check out a suspicious character walking in their street!
Sjoerd

Were you wearing your "I hate America" sign or "Kill Americans" tee-shirt? KM