Two Houston questions - Referring to the Astros and NASA

Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Two Houston questions - Referring to the Astros and NASA

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

Lou Minatti wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message

MC wrote:
Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer
to drive a car - even if they are the only occupant.

As do citizens of just about every other city in the US outside of
NYC, Boston and perhaps Chicago and San Francisco proper.

For a City its size Houston probably ranks WORST for public transportation.

There are some other candidates. Phoenix comes to mind.

The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams.

Compared to traffic on the Capital Beltway, Houston's traffic is a
piece of cake.

I now live in the DC area. Your statement is NOT true.

Both are subject to serious delay during rush hour. It appears that the
average delay for congestion in Houston is at worst moderate.
Interestingly congestion delays on mass transit can be higher than with
automobiles as capacity is reached. Autos do have alternate routes.

As we all know, Washington DC is an absolute paradise in the
summertime. And wasn't Washington DC also built on a swamp?

Yes, it was but - the mass transit it DC is pretty damn good - Houston's is
almost non existent.

It is nice to be on the federal gravy train. And to not have to fight
the Roach Killer.

There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be
found anywhere.

That's odd. I wonder why the Places Rated Almanac ranked Houston #8
out of 354 metropolitan areas for good places to live?

Beats me. Maybe the raters make money the good ole fashion Houston way -
they are easily bribed or bought outright.

Silly twit. One can argue with the categories of data they use but their
analysis is usually reasonable.

Seems to me
that if Houston was as horrible as you claim, its population would be
shrinking, like it is in Washington, DC. Yet Houston added 20% to its
population between 1990-2000. Your claims about Houston being a
horrible place appear to be at odds with the 640,000 or so who moved
here recently.

There are suckers born every moment. Some people are attracted because
Texas doesn't have a state income tas - YET. It won't belong,however,
before they are forced to have one. Houston also APPARENTLY has
inexpensive housing - UNTIL one finds out the cost of house insurance
because of the so called toxic mold problems AND the very high cost of
electricity to cool their homes in a near HELL like environment.

Have we talked air quality yet? Houston has some of the WORST in the nation
and has even beat Los Angeles for unhealthy air. Of course, the die hard
Houston lovers call it "The smell of money".

Have we talked about very high cancer incidence rates yet? Look at a
incidence map for the United States.

Yes, providing much of the US with its chemicals does have penalties.
We're thinking of putting a significant tax so you all can help fund the
hospitals.

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.

I will for a while.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
MTV

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
Lou Minatti wrote:

diblble snipped

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.

My, what a grouch! I hope you're happy wherever you live.

I lived in DC for 17 years, until being transferred here in 1986. I just
fell in love with the friendly people, "can-do" attitude, lack of "winters"
with green and flowers all year around, and the low cost of living. It does
take a while to get one's body acclimated, just like visiting Colorado in
February, but that's why we have A/C and the 10 mile tunnel system downtown
(just like the skyways in Minnesota). The climate is no different here than
all along the Gulf Coast and Southern Florida. I was also smart enough to
drop any "where I came from" type nonsense and become involved with my new
home. People are the same everywhere.

I still visit my children in DC/Virginia and can only say that Springfield
and the Woodrow Wilson bridge, in my humble opinion, are the worst traffic
bottlenecks I've ever seen. There is also more smog over Reagan Nat'l
Airport than you'll ever see in Houston. We do have ozone, but it's
transparent, not like Eastern particulate smog.

The increase in Houston's "standing" was in part to the hundreds of
thousands who came for the Super Bowl in February, had a wonderful time,
and spread the word. Stereotypes have a way of dissipating when personal
experiences take over. And, we did suffer from the 2001 presidential
campaign when the DNC kept trashing Houston and Texas. And we had Enron,
while the D.C. area had WorldCom. So?

Just my two cents worth. I'm glad that most travelers like to experience
different sights, people, and are adventurous at heart. It's all in a
person's attitude - being negative, or positive. Finding fault because it's
not "like home" - the Ugly American and East Coast sophisticate, or being
open to enjoy new things.

Marv

Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

MTV wrote:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
Lou Minatti wrote:

diblble snipped

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.

My, what a grouch! I hope you're happy wherever you live.

Yes, I am happy where I live - in north central Maryland.

I lived in DC for 17 years, until being transferred here in 1986.

I lived in Houston for 24 years before moving here. I live the first 21
years of my life in north central Illinois.

I just
fell in love with the friendly people, "can-do" attitude, lack of
"winters" with green and flowers all year around, and the low cost of
living.

I just fell in love with the reduced percentage of "Bubbas and Red Necks",
four seasons instead of hot and hotter, humid and more humid. I also enjoy
the QUALITY of living here and the fact that I don't have to drive 50 miles
in any direction to get away from concrete, buildings and the "Land of
Flat" which is featureless and extremely depressing.

It does take a while to get one's body acclimated, just like
visiting Colorado in February, but that's why we have A/C and the 10 mile
tunnel system downtown (just like the skyways in Minnesota).

Body acclimated, most people I know in Houston area get their body
"Acclimated" to being inside their air conditioned home or car most of
their existence there.

The climate
is no different here than all along the Gulf Coast and Southern Florida.

True, It sucks the entire stretch.

I still visit my children in DC/Virginia and can only say that Springfield
and the Woodrow Wilson bridge, in my humble opinion, are the worst traffic
bottlenecks I've ever seen.

I still visit my daughter, grandson and family in Houston and can only say
that you must not have to commute in Houston because if you had to drive
the North freeway, Southwest Freeway, Interstate 10 or loop 610 you would
know what REAL congestion is all about.

There is also more smog over Reagan Nat'l
Airport than you'll ever see in Houston.

NOT TRUE. What on earth made you make such a rediculous statement.

We do have ozone, but it's
transparent, not like Eastern particulate smog.

Rediculous statement. The next time you fly look outside the window as you
are leaving or coming into Houston. That greenish yellowish brownish crap
in the air is not transparent. Tell me, how many days did the Houston
schools have to keep kids inside because the air was to unhealthy to breath
outside for PE or recess?

The increase in Houston's "standing" was in part to the hundreds of
thousands who came for the Super Bowl in February, had a wonderful time,
and spread the word.

Yep, great place for booze and hookers.

Just my two cents worth. I'm glad that most travelers like to experience
different sights, people, and are adventurous at heart.

Me too, otherwise I would have thought everyplace was as depressing as
Houston. I have traveled to all forty eight states and numerous foreign
countries. Houston remains one of my LEAST favorite places. I am truly
glad you enjoy it there but I think people on this newsgroup should know
the downside of the place before makeing travel plans and spending a lot of
money to go somewhere that may be a lot worse than where they came from.

Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Lou Minatti

MC wrote:
Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer
to drive a car - even if they are the only occupant.

As do citizens of just about every other city in the US outside of
NYC, Boston and perhaps Chicago and San Francisco proper.

For a City its size Houston probably ranks WORST for public transportation.

That's because Houston is a low-density city. Houston put its transit
dollars into buses and HOV lanes rather than subways and heavy rail.
Urban planners don't like low-density cities, but the people who live
in such places generally do.

The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams.

Compared to traffic on the Capital Beltway, Houston's traffic is a
piece of cake.

I now live in the DC area. Your statement is NOT true.

It is true. Why did you delete my cite? (I know why. It utterly
debunks your claim!)

America's Worst Traffic
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/01/pf/traffic_worse/
1 Los Angeles, CA
2 San Francisco, CA
3 Denver, CO
4 Miami, FL
5 Phoenix, AZ
6 Chicago, IL
7 San Jose, CA
8 Washington, DC
9 Portland, OR
10 Boston, MA

As we all know, Washington DC is an absolute paradise in the
summertime. And wasn't Washington DC also built on a swamp?

Yes, it was but - the mass transit it DC is pretty damn good - Houston's is
almost non existent.

Washington DC has trains. OK. You keep pointing that out. So what does
that have to do with the fact that Washington DC is not a paradise in
the summertime and it was built on a swamp? If you lived in San Diego
or San Francisco I could understand you putting down the summertime
weather in Houston. But you don't.

There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be
found anywhere.

That's odd. I wonder why the Places Rated Almanac ranked Houston #8
out of 354 metropolitan areas for good places to live?

Beats me. Maybe the raters make money the good ole fashion Houston way -
they are easily bribed or bought outright.

Have you approached any law enforcement agencies with your brilliant
theory?

Seems to me
that if Houston was as horrible as you claim, its population would be
shrinking, like it is in Washington, DC. Yet Houston added 20% to its
population between 1990-2000. Your claims about Houston being a
horrible place appear to be at odds with the 640,000 or so who moved
here recently.

There are suckers born every moment. Some people are attracted because
Texas doesn't have a state income tas - YET. It won't belong,however,
before they are forced to have one. Houston also APPARENTLY has
inexpensive housing - UNTIL one finds out the cost of house insurance
because of the so called toxic mold problems AND the very high cost of

Splat! goes your theory.
http://www.accra.org/media/q1housing.htm

electricity to cool their homes in a near HELL like environment.

Doop! http://www.accra.org/media/q1utilities.htm
There goes yet another theory.

Put them all together, and Houston has the lowest cost of living for
all major metro areas. Don't snip my cite like you did earlier, read
it for yourself.
http://www.accra.org/media/q1composite.htm

Have we talked air quality yet? Houston has some of the WORST in the nation
and has even beat Los Angeles for unhealthy air. Of course, the die hard
Houston lovers call it "The smell of money".

Another one of your bizarre theories debunked:
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752

Have we talked about very high cancer incidence rates yet? Look at a
incidence map for the United States.

Good idea. You shouldn't draw hasty conclusions based
on cancer statistics. For instance, Marin County,
California leads the US in women's breast cancer.
Yet by just about every account I've seen, Marin County
isn't polluted much at all. Diet, tobacco use and genetics
also play a part.

Nonetheless, the cancer mortality statistics compiled
by the federal government prove that your assertion
about Houston is flat-out wrong. Here are the maps you
want us to look at:

http://www.dceg2.cancer.gov/atlas/do...2/acc-maps.pdf

"Red counties" in these maps are those with the highest 10%
cancer mortality rate. The Northeastern US is a sea of "red"
counties. For women, there is an enormous swatch of "red"
counties, from the Northeast to the Midwest, plus a "cluster"
in northern California and Nevada. Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, all
red.

Houston's smack dab right in the middle of the cancer
mortality statistics.

Do you have anything else to fib about?

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.

Here's the really weird thing. I don't particularly care for
Detroit (fine people, I find the place rather depressing), but
I don't hate it. I don't go spouting off on Usenet inventing
statistics about what a horrible place it is. Most people
don't behave like that. You do for some strange reason.

So what's the real scoop behind your bizarre hatred for my town?

Old July 4th, 2004, 01:56 AM
MC

MTV wrote:

I have traveled to all forty eight states and numerous foreign
countries. Houston remains one of my LEAST favorite places. I am truly
glad you enjoy it there but I think people on this newsgroup should know
the downside of the place before makeing travel plans and spending a lot

of
money to go somewhere that may be a lot worse than where they came from.

I am from the UK (not too far from London) and I consider that there are not
many places much worse than here. Then again I am bound to say that as I
see it with warts and all. When you are a visitor for only a week you are
normally spared the bad bits.

We have chosen to stay in Houston for several reasons.

1. It has a direct flight from the UK with my chosen Frequent Flier
airline and is within easy reach of New Orleans, which is where we are
staying for our second week.

2. We enjoy visiting different types of city and have chosen to take a "two
city" break rather than fly straight on to New Orleans.

3. As Houston is not a "tourist destination" then maybe there will not be
too many "tourist traps" and we will be able to experience "real" America

We have been all over the world, visited nearly all the continents, and have
stayed in many many cities, some bad, some good. We have experienced nearly
every type of extreme weather effect and dangerous flora and fauna that
nature has thrown at us. We consider ourselves, therefore, semi-hardened
travellers. We can only judge Houston on one seven night stay and if all we
experience in that time is good so be it. If our experience is bad, so be
it. Whichever way you look at it, a short visit to anywhere will only be
what you make it. In other words, if you go with the attitude that you will
have a good time you are are more likely to have just that.

Cities are often criticised, more so, by those who stay for extended periods
of time and experience them from the inside. As travellers we are not that
interested in knowing what makes a city tick, how bad the commuter traffic
is or even whether the climate does not suit the locals, as long as we, as
visitors, have the opportunity to make the most out of the good bits.

Thanks for the input though

MC

Old July 5th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Miriam -Jewett

MC wrote:

Firstly, thanks to those who answered my previous post, re. Finding a hotel
in Houston. I went on priceline.com and got 7 nights at the 4* Inn at the
Ballpark for $60 pn.

What is your trip to Houston about ?
On a recent visit to Houston, we saw this new hotel across the street from the
baseball park. Our guide point this hotel out to us, and mentioned that there a
great
seafood restaurant on the top floor. This a great rate for such a new hotel.
Downtown
Houston is a great place to stay, in the evening we when to the entertainment
district.
And had a very good time.

On out trip to Houston we stay at the brand new Hilton Hotel just about three
block away from the
ball park and we got a fantastic nightly rate of $49.00 per night, we called the
hotel direct for our reservations.

Anyway a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it easy to get to NASA via public transport. If we were to get a taxi
rather than a bus (or whatever) what would the fare be, approximately.

We inquired about going to N A S A at the hotel ....... taxis wanted to charge
us $ 60.00 each way.
There was NO public transportation connecting to NASA.
NASA is about 30 miles from the heart of the city.

Then we were told by a front desk agency at the Hilton about a gentleman that
offers tours of Houston
and trips to NASA. So we call him, and him was wonderful. He picked the four of
us up at our hotel at
9 am, and he drove us to NASA, we were there for four hours and he waited for us
the entire time.
Then he give a great tour of this huge city of Houston. This fellow has a great
deal of information
to offer. We felt like we had known him all of our lives. He charges a flat
rate, whether there
was 1 or 8 people.

2. We are thinking about going to see the Astros at the Minute Maid (when in
Rome...). Now we have never seen a baseball game and had no idea of the rules
(sorry, but I am British ) until I read a brief rundown of the rules this
evening.

We're Canadians.

Depending on when your going to Houston I suppose ........... they may not be
playing in Houston on those dates that you there. But if you do get an
opportunity, do go. From what I understand from our tour guide, the ball park
is only about 3-4 years old. I am sure your hotel can assist you with a
schedule of game dates and tell you about getting tickets.

My question is this: Approximately, how long does a game last and will it be
easy to pick up what's going on?
Thanks in advance for any feedback to my questions.

We did not go to a baseball game, but a game is about 3 hours in duration. And
fun.

If I can assist you with information I learned about Houston, Texas. And if your
interested in
going to N A S A and a great personal tour, write me and I will forward you this
the information.

Good luck.

Miriam

MC