states with cities of the same name

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:04 AM
Tim923

Default states with cities of the same name

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:10 AM
jcoulter

Tim923 wrote in
:

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

there is an Idaho Springs in Co Idaho fall is in Id

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
Stephen Dailey

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:04:46 GMT, Tim923 wrote:

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

Oregon City
California City

What about states with counties of the same name:

Idaho
Hawaii
Utah
New York

others?

===
Stephen Dailey
Shoreline, Washington USA

31 Aug 2004, 1836 PDT
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:50 AM
Auntie Em

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:04:46 GMT, Tim923 wrote:

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

I've heard that there are more Sprinfields in the US than any other
single town name.

Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure.

Em
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.
--- Clarence Darrow
(make that YOUR children).
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:16 AM
Nile

What else?

Missouri City, Texas
Michigan City, Mississippi

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Mark Brader

This has little enough to do with travel, but it's probably a good
idea to have it answered.

Tim W.S. writes:
Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Oddly enough, this came up in alt.usage.english not long ago. According
to the place names database at http://geonames.usgs.gov, there are only
3 examples of this kind among "populated places" in the entire US; the
other two, tiny places both, are Maine and Wyoming. In the analogous
database for Canada at http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca, Quebec is the only
example.

If you look at counties, there are 7 with the same name as the state
containing them: Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, New York, Oklahoma,
and Utah. I don't think there are any examples in Canada, but I can't
confirm that right now because the database is down.

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

These are more common; there are 24 of this type altogether in the US
(but none in Canada). The other 19 are in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas,
Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Mississippi,
Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and
*two* in Ohio (one in Cuyahoga County, one in Van Wert County).

If you accept still "softer" matches, like Alabama Fork, Alabama Port,
Alabama Shores, and Arizona Acres Mobile Home Resort, and consider
only current names among "populated places", then there are exactly
100 US place names matching the state, including the 27 given above.
If you additionally accept forms like Floridatown, Hawaiian Acres,
and Idahome, then there are exactly 25 more.

Places whose names match *other* states are quite common when you
look at small enough places, although in Canada there is only one
place whose name is another province: Saskatchewan, Manitoba.
This list of 33 US states is actually made up of 32 overlapping
"place name, state name" pairs from the USGS database: Wyoming,
Delaware, Virginia, Washington, Utah, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia,
Kansas, Ohio, Colorado, Alaska, Michigan, Vermont, Wisconsin, Kentucky,
Arkansas, West Virginia, Minnesota, California, Maine, Arizona, Nebraska,
Indiana, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Alabama, New York, Florida, New Mexico,
Maryland, Louisiana, Missouri, Using data from multiple sources, Dan
Tilque has constructed an even longer list which can be found on his
web site http://www.nwlink.com/~dtilque.
--
Mark Brader "I always hoped that when someone quoted me
Toronto it would be because I said something profound."

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:50 AM
Mark Brader

Tim W.S.:
Hard matches:
New York,

Alan Follett:
But in ful that would be New York City...

Wrong. That's just a popular informal usage.
--
Mark Brader "...we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
Toronto with the giants on whose shoulders we stand."
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Mark Brader

"Em":
I've heard that there are more Sprinfields in the US than any other
single town name.

Not really. Using non-historical "populated places" in the USGS database
that I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the most popular place name
is Midway, of which there are 217 in 39 different states, including
27 instances in Texas, 22 in Tennessee, and 15 in Arkansas. The place
name occurring in the most states is Riverside, of which there are
125 in 46 different states (all except Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and
Oklahoma). And by the way, the place names occurring the most times
in the *same* state are Five Points, of which there are 31 instances
in Pennsylvania (not to mention 21 in Georgia, 17 in Alabama, and 15
in Ohio), followed by Oak Grove (29 in Tennessee; also 17 in Arkansas
and 13 in Alabama).

Springfield is one of 82 place names that either occur at least 60 times
in the US (on the above basis) or occur in at least 30 different states.
(This list is sorted by the product of the two numbers.)

217 39 Midway | 60 30 Belmont
208 39 Fairview | 62 29 Edgewood
125 46 Riverside | 64 28 Harmony
166 31 Oak Grove | 61 29 Mount Vernon
108 43 Centerville | 68 26 Spring Hill
149 28 Five Points | 84 21 Forest Hills
110 34 Bethel | 56 31 Riverdale
123 30 Pleasant Hill | 51 34 Newport
115 31 Mount Pleasant | 50 34 Arlington
96 36 Union | 68 25 Green Acres
98 35 Liberty | 63 26 Buena Vista
95 36 Pleasant Valley | 51 32 Summit
91 37 Greenwood | 65 25 Woodlawn
94 35 Oakland | 60 27 Springdale
91 36 Salem | 47 34 Clinton
79 37 Glendale | 69 23 Hopewell
81 34 Georgetown | 48 33 Clifton
83 33 Lakeview | 52 30 Wilson
108 25 New Hope | 47 33 Hamilton
80 32 Lakewood | 47 33 Farmington
85 29 Pine Grove | 44 35 Lincoln
79 31 Concord | 61 25 Westwood
84 29 Oak Hill | 72 21 Antioch
60 40 Franklin | 41 36 Marion
70 32 Sunnyside | 47 31 Woodville
66 33 Springfield | 44 33 Kingston
66 33 Lakeside | 69 21 Friendship
62 35 Fairfield | 44 32 Ashland
72 30 Highland Park | 41 34 Florence
93 23 Shady Grove | 43 32 Jackson
89 24 Pleasant Grove | 41 33 Milton
84 25 Shiloh | 40 33 Eden
68 30 Oakdale | 39 31 Dover
60 33 Glenwood | 37 31 Vernon
75 26 Cedar Grove | 63 18 Stringtown
66 29 Riverview | 35 32 Troy
67 28 Spring Valley | 33 33 Chester
66 28 Wildwood | 64 17 Sherwood Forest
66 28 Hillcrest | 33 32 Auburn
54 34 Greenville | 34 31 Clayton
63 29 Highland | 32 31 Warren

Again, see also Dan Tilque's web site mentioned elsewhere in the thread.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The singular of 'data' is not 'anecdote.'"