states with cities of the same name

Old September 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Pan

Virginia Beach. Indianapolis (?).

"Tim923" wrote in message
Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

Old September 1st, 2004, 11:59 AM
Icono Clast

Auntie Em wrote:
I've heard that there are more Sprinfields in the US than any other
single town name.

Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure.

You could look it up: http://www.placesnamed.com/
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Icono Clast

Mark Brader wrote:
Oddly enough, this came up in alt.usage.english not long ago. According
to the place names database at http://geonames.usgs.gov, there are only
3 examples of this kind among "populated places" in the entire US; the
other two, tiny places both, are Maine and Wyoming. In the analogous
database for Canada at http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca, Quebec is the only
example.

If you look at counties, there are 7 with the same name as the state
containing them: Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, New York, Oklahoma,
and Utah. I don't think there are any examples in Canada, but I can't
confirm that right now because the database is down.

That overlooks Oregon's Owahee(sp) County.

Using data from multiple sources, Dan Tilque has constructed an
even longer list which can be found on his web site
http://www.nwlink.com/~dtilque.

Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM
Tim923

Er, unless I've missed something on the news what with the Olympics and
all, that's not in any state.

OK, rephrase the subject for yourself to include provinces (as I
intended).
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM
Tom Box

Mark Brader ) writes:

In the analogous database for Canada at http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca,
Quebec is the only example.

The province was named for the city. The city name has been in use
since 1608, the province name 1763-1791 and 1867-present.

If you look at counties, [...] I don't think there are any
examples in Canada, but I can't confirm that right now because
the database is down.

There used to be an Ontario County in Ontario, but it was
abolished in a restructuring of municipal governments in
the early 1970s. I think the county name (1840s?) predates
the province name (1867), but I'm not entirely sure when
the county was created. I believe both were named after
Lake Ontario, not one for the other.

I think there used to be a Quebec County that contained the
City of Quebec and was contained in the Province of Quebec,
but that province completely changed its system of counties
quite a while ago. The county was probably created at a
time when the province was called Lower Canada, and was named
for the city.

Places whose names match *other* states are quite common when you
look at small enough places, although in Canada there is only one
place whose name is another province: Saskatchewan, Manitoba.

If you accept soft matches, there's Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta.
It's named for the Saskatchewan River, not for the province. I'm
not sure of the origin of Saskatchewan, MB.

If we consider Canada-U.S. cases, New Brunswick, New Jersey;
Ontario, California; and Wyoming, Ontario come to mind. There are
likely other examples.

Tom Box or
Toronto, ON, Canada

Old September 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM

Nebraska City, Nebraska
Kansas City, Kansas
Iowa City, Iowa

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Tim923 wrote:

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:20 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:04:46 GMT, Tim923
wrote:

Hard matches:
New York, Quebec

Soft matches:
Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Florida City, California City, Maryland
City

What else?

"Oklahoma City" is not the same name as the state, which is
"Oklahoma". But New York, sometimes erroneously called "New York
City", does have the same name as the state. So also Quebec.