Electric outlets at campgrounds

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Electric outlets at campgrounds

"Lon VanOstran" wrote in message

Bob Hatch wrote:

Other way around Lon. He's talking about 50 amp to 30 amp, for an RV
that has 30 amp setup, but pulls into an RV park with 50 amp only
service. Only one leg of the 50 amp is used, and feeds the single
hot of the 30 amp rig.

That's what we need. More confusion thrown into a thread about a 50
amp RV plugged into 30 amp service.

I should have read it more carefully.

Lon

I think your head is messed up by all this 30 to 50, and 50 to 30 stuff.

The only reason you would need one of those is if you had a rig with 30 amp
setup. You don't. You don't need one.
--
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed
by the things you did not do, than the ones you did. So

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:59 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:07:13 -0500, Lon VanOstran
wrote:

William Boyd wrote:

Now that makes sense. At least some one has it right, TAKE NOTE LON!

Damn, but you are a dumb ass. Stop proving how stupid you are. I already
know.

Lon

Based on my oh, so neutral (pun intended) opinion, you both have PHD's
in dumbassery!

Old February 9th, 2006, 03:57 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:40:11 -0500, "Bob Hatch"
wrote:

"Neon John" wrote in message

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 04:31:04 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

John's post had me going for a while also, until I realized that he
is talking about connecting the two sides of the Load together (in
the RV) when hooked to a standard 30 amp RV service. This is done
in the adaptor cord that transforms the four wire, 50 amp, split
phase plug to a 30 amp, single phase service. He's not talking about
connecting the two 120 volt, 180 degree out-of-phase service
conductors of a 120/240, split phase, 50 amp supply. As written,
this is what I first interpreted and would of course blow something
up.

Bingo.

Others in this thread have said that a 50-to-30 amp dogbone connects
both hots together. Perhaps some do but I ended up buying one that
doesn't.

No they don't. None of the 50 to 30 adapters would connect both hots
together. Well maybe they do, but you would never use one more than once.

Care to explain why?

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:39:55 GMT, "JIMinFL"
wrote:

I wonder what safety measure John takes with his jumper switch. I'd hate to
forget to turn it off when hooking up to a post wired 50A 220.

None at all because none is necessary. If I have the switch in the
"120 volt" position and connect to a 50 amp outlet, all that happens
is that the entire trailer is supplied with 120 volts from one leg of
the 50 amp circuit and the other leg is open.

John
---
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

"Neon John" wrote in message

[...]

The confusion is, where is the service end at. That is where
the confusion has always been.

--
Bill P.
just

At this time in life all that
remains is left overs, some can
be cherished as good others bad,
but the only definite is that they
are all that remains, main course is
over.
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Neon John" wrote in message
news

Care to explain why?

Read GT's post.

Old February 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

John,
I see how you are doing it now. You are using a single pole double throw and
the center is attached to your secondary load. This load is either connected
to the other load (120 mode), or the secondary 50A supply line (220 mode).
Assuming I understand what you have done, I need to ask a silly question.
Why did you do this vs. using a dogbone adapter?
Jim

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:25:07 GMT, "JIMinFL"
wrote:

John,
I see how you are doing it now. You are using a single pole double throw and
the center is attached to your secondary load. This load is either connected
to the other load (120 mode), or the secondary 50A supply line (220 mode).

Correct.

Assuming I understand what you have done, I need to ask a silly question.
Why did you do this vs. using a dogbone adapter?

Because the particular dogbone I bought doesn't connect the two hot
legs together like apparently the majority of them do. Having never
seen a discussion about this at the time, I didn't know that mine
wasn't typical.

For concession work where the special event power is more likely than
not screwed up and inadequate, this setup allows me to use a variety
of simple "Jesus cords" without having to fit a jumper inside the
twist-lock plug. The heavy wire (#8-4) that I use for the main hookup
is a very tight fit into the twist-lock shells.

My architecture on a 30 amp supply is thus:

Twist-lock-+-Twist-lock-to-range-plug-dogbone--range-plug-to-30-amp-dogbone--30
amp outlet |

+Extension cords or Jesus Cords go in here.

When 240 volt service isn't available, sometimes I can get the
promoter to install a 30 amp RV outlet to get around the dumb-*ss GFI
requirements that many brain-dead inspectors put on concessionaire
outlets. Some other times I'll just hook up the Jesus Cord and attach
to the main service lugs in the breaker box or to the splices on the
service drop at the top of the temporary pole. Still other times I'll
just punt, run 200 ft of cord or whatever it takes to get the
generator away from the event and go that way.

After thieving, lying conniving promoters, power is the worst problem
food vendors face at special events. I have a fairly large toolbox
filled with nothing but adapters and gadgets to rob power from
wherever it's available. Every brand of breaker known to mankind,
each with a twist-lock receptacle attached, a wide variety of Jesus
Cords, lineman's hot gloves, etc.

John

Jim
.. .

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for indulging my curiosity, John.
Have a great day.
Jim

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

[...]

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Your adapter found here will charge both circuits of a 50amp
system. I just came back from metering it at the RV store.
http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...CategoryId=223
http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...o ductId=2229

--
Bill P.