Vegas - drive to Pebble Beach - Yosemite - back to Vegas - opinions ?

Old March 28th, 2006, 05:28 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Vegas - drive to Pebble Beach - Yosemite - back to Vegas - opinions ?

I'm checking airfares and rather than fly from home-SJC-LAS- home, I'm debating doing a r/t from home-Vegas, then driving ( to
save ~$300 on the airfare and see the area). Anyone done that loop ? Opinions on itinerary ?

I'm considering flying to Vegas - renting a car - driving to the west coast - up the coastal route to Carmel - then up to
osemite - then head south for the other Nat'l parks on the way back to Vegas.

How much $$ to allow for the car / gas ?? Last year it was ~$3.25 /gal in california - what is it these days ?
How much time to allow for the driving ?
I need to be back in Vegas by April 29th for a meeting. So work it backwards to ... when should I fly out there ?
LAS - Monterey,CA is ~ 500 miles on Yahoo
On the way out, I figure to go from Vegas to Hearst Castle area the first day ( maybe )
Then next day stop in Los Gatos area - overnight - then onto Yosemite - 1 or 2 nights there (since entire place not open yet I
think one full day is enough ) then head south across the mountains - King's Canyon - whatever else is on the way back to Vegas.

Old March 28th, 2006, 06:53 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

It all depends on the time of year you are traveling.The trip to the coast
won't be the problem, but the route from Yosemite to Vegas could be snowed
in if you go before mid June You could go Vegas to Barstow to Hwy 58
through Bakersfield continuing on 58 or taking one of the other routes to
the coast. Stop in Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area. Drive up the 1 past San
Simeon, through Big Sur to Monterey. Stay in Monterey, see the Aquarium.
Then cut across the state to Yosemite. If the 120 is still closed, you can
go out the South enterance and Head to Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Look at the
Largest living things in the World, Again go out the South entrance, back
toward bakersfield area and the 58 back to Barsow and on to Vegas I would
give yourself at least One full day in each National Park. If the 120 is
open, you can stop in Death Valley instead of Sequoia. Have fun, Let me
know if you have any other questions.
Smitty
?

Old March 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

Gas in SoCA was running about $2.71 when I left last Wednesday.
Bakersfield was about the same.when I was there two weeks ago and may
still be climbing. Gas in Las Vegas is as cheap as $2.38 right now.
Seeing Yosemite is a day trip as it is still kind of cold there. You
do realize that Yosemite and the CA coast (Carmel, Monterey) are on
opposite sides of CA and an awful lot of driving. 99 is a better route
to Fresno, Merced, etc and then you can decide whether to go east or
west. The problem of course is you miss the scenic Hwy 1 route or the
less but still nice US 101 route from Santa Barbara to the Bay. Avoid
taking I -5. It is quicker but a total bore most of the way. 99 goes
thru more small towns (bathrooms, eats, etc.)

Enjoy your trip.

Big Mikey

Old March 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

Dave makes a good point. Ther may still be closings due to snow.
Check with CHP and/or AAA. Castaic/Grapevine has been a real problem.

Big Mikey

Old March 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

- Bobb - wrote:
How much $$ to allow for the car / gas ?? Last year it was ~$3.25 /gal
in california - what is it these days ?

Gas has not been unavailable for less than $3 in California except
maybe in Furnace Creek. It's close to it now, being $2.58 at my
corner station and as much fifteen cents higher nearby.

Vegas

Here's "A bit of non-gambling Las Vegas:
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/LasVegas.html

- renting a car - driving to the west coast - up the coastal
route to Carmel - then up to osemite - then head south for the
other Nat'l parks on the way back to Vegas.

That's at least a thousand miles.

How much time to allow for the driving ?

About twenty hours.

I'm not going to continue. You're outta yer mind. Come back with some
semblance of reality.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Content below asterisks not mine.]

..

Old March 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

- Bobb - wrote:
I'm checking airfares and rather than fly from home-SJC-LAS- home,
I'm debating doing a r/t from home-Vegas, then driving ( to save ~$300
on the airfare and see the area). Anyone done that loop ? Opinions on itinerary ?

I'm considering flying to Vegas - renting a car - driving to the west coast
- up the coastal route to Carmel - then up to Yosemite - then head south
for the other Nat'l parks on the way back to Vegas.

It looks to me that a Vegas-Carmel-Yosemite-Vegas loop would be easily
1200 miles.

How much $$ to allow for the car / gas ?? Last year it was ~$3.25 /gal
in california - what is it these days ?

YMMV, but 1200 miles at 25mpg and $3/gallon, would go through roughly
$150 in gas.

How much time to allow for the driving ?

Since most of this isn't on Interstates, you probably shouldn't plan
for averaging better than 50mph, so 1200/50 = 24 hours behind the wheel
before stops are added.

YMMV on how many hours per day you're comfortable with driving, but for
me, I generally like to call ~6 hours as my comfortable limit. As
such, I'd plan for at least 3 full days after meals/breaks, possibly 4,
particularly since you've made no mention of a relief driver to split
it with, and it will also depend on the quality of your rental as to
how much NVH fatigue you'll get. I'd not do this drive in a buzzy
econobox. I'd also not plan on driving for too far after having just
come off of a longer flight, particularly if you don't sleep well on
flights.

I need to be back in Vegas by April 29th for a meeting. So work it
backwards to ... when should I fly out there ?

Insufficient information. Personally, I'd not bother to go anywhere
unless I'm going to enjoy at least 2x-3x more hours visiting there as
it took me to get there. As such, if it takes you 4 hours to drive to
Monterey, its worth at least spending a full day there. Insofar as
Yosemite, I'd spend at least 2-3 full days for a first time visit
regardless of how few hours.

Simplistically, I'd figure you're in for at least a week: 3 travel
days + 1 @ Monterey + 2 @ Yosemite. Here's what I'd look at as a very
first cut itinerary:

4/22 - Arrive @ Vegas; & get 2 hours down the road (100miles)
4/23 - (400 mile) Travel Day w/Hearst Castle stop
4/24 - Monterey
4/25 - (200 mile) Travel Day; begin Yosemite visit
4/26 - Yosemite
4/27 - Yosemite
4/28 - (500 mile) Travel Day
4/29 - Business Meeting @ Vegas

-hh

Old March 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Yosemite - back to Vegas - opinions ?

My replies / comments are inline below:

"Big Mikey" wrote in message oups.com...
Gas in SoCA was running about $2.71 when I left last Wednesday.
Bakersfield was about the same.when I was there two weeks ago and may
still be climbing. Gas in Las Vegas is as cheap as $2.38 right now.
Seeing Yosemite is a day trip as it is still kind of cold there. You
do realize that Yosemite and the CA coast (Carmel, Monterey) are on
opposite sides of CA and an awful lot of driving.

Yes. I do the California trip every spring - I go there FOR the driving . After long winters in the East coast traffic, I enjoy
the leisurely drives out there. BUT this would be my first time driving from Yosemite to Vegas. Usually I do San Jose to Hearst
castle area via the coast - then turn around - put the top down and drive back up rte 1 - a few stops along the way, then on to
Yosemite. Then back to wine country or Monterey or SF area for a few days - then fly home or maybe stop in Vegas on the way back.
This year I thought I'd change it a bit and include a few other National Parks if I could.

I don't know if I'm overdoing it - and that's why I'm asking opinions of those that know.
In looking at a CA map it seems that if I can't get out the east entrance of Yosemite, (and I can't due to weather, right ? )
then I will be doing a LOT of driving to visit King's Canyon , Sequoia and Death Valley. I'll come out the bottom of Yosemite in
Fish Camp - then to Fresno via 99 - then take " General's Hwy loop" then back to 99 etc. For those familiar with King's Canyon
and Sequoia Parks - There's only the one road in this time of year ? I'll do some more research at
http://www.nps.gov/seki/pphtml/planyourvisit.html
http://www.nps.gov/seki/mainvc.htm
http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

but any advice as to " don't bother going to xxx because hardly anything is open yet' or 'it's too much driving for just a
10-minute viewing' is really appreciated. I don't want to "waste" my time, but don't mind "spending" it to see something
new/worthwhile and need a guideline of how much time to allow for the driving from Yosemite to Vegas.

99 is a better route
to Fresno, Merced, etc and then you can decide whether to go east or
west. The problem of course is you miss the scenic Hwy 1 route or the
less but still nice US 101 route from Santa Barbara to the Bay. Avoid
taking I -5. It is quicker but a total bore most of the way. 99 goes
thru more small towns (bathrooms, eats, etc.)

I did check and agree - I will do rte 1 then 41 to 99 out of Yosemite.

"David Smith" wrote in message news:yb4Wf.8833$b07.2482@trnddc05...
It all depends on the time of year you are traveling.

Late April 2006

The trip to the coast won't be the problem,
but the route from Yosemite to Vegas could be snowed
in if you go before mid June

By that you mean the east exit of Yosemite ?

You could go Vegas to Barstow to Hwy 58
through Bakersfield continuing on 58 or taking one of the other routes to
the coast. Stop in Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area. Drive up the 1 past San
Simeon, through Big Sur to Monterey. Stay in Monterey, see the Aquarium.
Then cut across the state to Yosemite.

If the 120 is still closed, you can
go out the South enterance and Head to Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Look at the
Largest living things in the World, Again go out the South entrance, back
toward bakersfield area and the 58 back to Barsow and on to Vegas
I would give yourself at least One full day in each National Park.
If the 120 is open, you can stop in Death Valley instead of Sequoia.
Have fun, Let me know if you have any other questions.
Smitty

So should I plan to visit Death Valley or is that too far out of the way if only the south exit from Yosemite is open ?
To repeat your advice : I'll drive out of Vegas - up the coast to Monterey area - then onto Yosemite , then south to Kings' Canyon
/ Sequoia Parks and skip Death Valley ? So , the drive from Yosemite to Vegas is "worth it " this time of year ?

I'm gonna go figure total mileage / times for now.

Thanks very much,
Bobb

======================

Old March 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

COmments inline ( these were written while I was replying to another)

"-hh" wrote in message oups.com...
:
: - Bobb - wrote:
[...]

And it seems like still about $3 a gallon these days
:
:
[...]

Agreed

:
: I need to be back in Vegas by April 29th for a meeting. So work it
: backwards to ... when should I fly out there ?
:
: Insufficient information. Personally, I'd not bother to go anywhere
: unless I'm going to enjoy at least 2x-3x more hours visiting there as
: it took me to get there. As such, if it takes you 4 hours to drive to
: Monterey, its worth at least spending a full day there. Insofar as
: Yosemite, I'd spend at least 2-3 full days for a first time visit
: regardless of how few hours.

That's my question about visiting Sequoia and King's Canyon - is it worth my drive to get there - not if just a drive-thru. BUT if
I can spend a full day there then it would be worth it. I've been to Yosemite valley area each year, so one night there is fine.

:
: Simplistically, I'd figure you're in for at least a week: 3 travel
: days + 1 @ Monterey + 2 @ Yosemite. Here's what I'd look at as a very
: first cut itinerary:
:
:
: 4/22 - Arrive @ Vegas; & get 2 hours down the road (100miles)
: 4/23 - (400 mile) Travel Day w/Hearst Castle stop
: 4/24 - Monterey
: 4/25 - (200 mile) Travel Day; begin Yosemite visit
: 4/26 - Yosemite
: 4/27 - Yosemite
: 4/28 - (500 mile) Travel Day
: 4/29 - Business Meeting @ Vegas
:
So you'd skip the other Natl' Parks ? I was thinking maybe a day in King's Canyon / Sequoia ( is one enough ?)
:

: -hh
:"Icono Clast" wrote in message m...
How much time to allow for the driving ?

About twenty hours. I'm not going to continue. You're outta yer mind.
Come back with some semblance of reality.

Icono,
What's wrong with this trip ?
I've driven Boston - Vegas (northern route across US ) and back to Boston (southern route) and enjoyed it.
I don't need to do this in 2 days - I have no time constraints other than being in Vegas on the 29th - what's the problem ?

Quick story : years ago 2 of us used to drive cross-country every summer in June ( before it got TOO hot in the southwest).
In 1975 I ordered a new Chevy Nova in January. The autoworkers went on strike , delay,delay - I told the dealer " if it's not
here by this date in June (for my trip) you can keep it". Well, I got a phone call that day and picked up my new car - it was a
Friday. I drove up/down the highway a bit to check it out. Seemed OK. My buddy and I packed it up - drove to Niagra Falls, Denver,
Vegas then back via Phoenix, Sante Fe, Atlanta, Wash DC and back to Boston - in 2 weeks. I brought my car back for it's 7500 mile
checkup a few days later and the mechanic asks ' what's the mileage ?" 7850 miles. He thought I was joking - I'd only had the car
for about 20 days.

So why it THIS trip unreasonable ?

Old March 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

BOB, man of mystery indeed. Are you going incognito?

Old March 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada

normzauchin wrote:
- Bobb - wrote:

BOB, man of mystery indeed. Are you going incognito?

I'm going in July, Norm.