abolishing tipping?

Old October 21st, 2003, 12:48 AM
tina lekas miller

Default abolishing tipping?

hello out there,
I am of the opinion that tipping practices in the US, at least my part
of the US have gone overboard. what do you think of making employers
jack up their employees pay (and the cost of their services) by
whatever percentage say 15% and forbid tipping.

Nobody tips the lawyer, the graphic designer, the teacher, the
librarian, the grocery store check out clerk, the admin assistant, the
traffic cop, the Walgreens checkout clerk or a million other jobs. Why
this selective situation where we subsidize the paycheck of certain
job categories.

Yes prices will rise. But we are paying it anyway.

please let me know what you think.

thanks
tina
Old October 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM
Peter L

I think you are going to start another 10,000 messages thread that'll not
amount to anything.

om...

Old October 21st, 2003, 02:11 AM
JTK

"tina lekas miller" wrote in message
om...
hello out there,
I am of the opinion that tipping practices in the US, at least my part
of the US have gone overboard. what do you think of making employers
jack up their employees pay (and the cost of their services) by
whatever percentage say 15% and forbid tipping.

Nobody tips the lawyer, the graphic designer, the teacher, the
librarian, the grocery store check out clerk, the admin assistant, the
traffic cop, the Walgreens checkout clerk or a million other jobs. Why
this selective situation where we subsidize the paycheck of certain
job categories.

Yes prices will rise. But we are paying it anyway.

please let me know what you think.

thanks
tina

Right on Tina.
If this trend continues next thing the bus driver wants
a tip for stopping gently.

And what also irks me is that the hardworking waitress
has to hand over part of the money she earned to the
snooty, nose up in the air, headwaiter or Maitre d.

I am sure the ten or twenty that someone slips him,
because they arrived without reservations, is not being
shared with the waiters and busboys.

JTK

Old October 21st, 2003, 11:45 AM
Icono Clast

Hatunen wrote in message . ..
(tina lekas miller) wrote:
what do you think of making employers jack up their employees pay (and the
cost of their services) by whatever percentage say 15% and forbid tipping.

They will quickly lose business because their menu prices will be
significantly higher. It also removes my ability to let the
waiter know he's done a poor job by leaving a 5-cent tip.

In another thread, I somewhat answered the question posed. I've had
almost two hours to think about it and, based on what I said in the
other thread, have concluded that the increase in prices wouldn't be
significant. Here's the $15 meal to which I refer'd ($13.90+$1.10 tax
at 8%):

Soup: $2.00 an increase from $1.75
Salad: $2.00 an increase from $1.75
Entrée: $7.00 an increase from $6.75
Dessert: $1.75 an increase from $1.50
Coffee: $1.15 an increase from $0.95

New amount: $13.90; old amount: $12.70, a net increase of $1.28. Big
deal!

That's about a nine percent increase for a meal but, if you read the
other post, it would allow for a wage increase from $2 to $8. Who
among us would protest? Who among us couldn't afford it? Who among us
would even notice?

In San Francisco, you can get a rather nice meal for $15. This evening
in North Beach, I paid only $12 including a tip greater than 20% for a
meal that was delicious, nutritious, and more than filling.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Juliana L Holm

tina lekas miller wrote:
hello out there,
I am of the opinion that tipping practices in the US, at least my part
of the US have gone overboard. what do you think of making employers
jack up their employees pay (and the cost of their services) by
whatever percentage say 15% and forbid tipping.

No matter what I think (and I'd prefer that they add service to the prices
and let me round up, like they do in Germany, to acknowledge good service)
it is not going to happen.

--
Julie
**********
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:26 PM
JamesStep

what do you think of making employers
jack up their employees pay...15% and forbid tipping

I don't think the government would ever pass a law *forbidding*
tipping of restaurant workers, but they could could amend the
law to require restaurants to pay at least minimum wage.

If that happened, most restaurant patrons would probably
voluntarily chose not to tip as much, or at all.

Don't think that's likely to happen, though, as there would
be tremendous resistance from many businesses.

And my guess is that many restaurant employees would not
be in favor of such a law either, as they might end up making
less under that plan, not more.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old October 21st, 2003, 04:13 PM
Hatunen

On 21 Oct 2003 13:28:11 GMT, Juliana L Holm
wrote:

tina lekas miller wrote:
hello out there,
I am of the opinion that tipping practices in the US, at least my part
of the US have gone overboard. what do you think of making employers
jack up their employees pay (and the cost of their services) by
whatever percentage say 15% and forbid tipping.

No matter what I think (and I'd prefer that they add service to the prices
and let me round up, like they do in Germany, to acknowledge good service)
it is not going to happen.

I generally prefer the European practice myself, but the
probability of getting the American restaurants and waiters to
change is between slim and none so it's mostly ****ing upwind.