African Doctors

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Terry Russell

Default African Doctors

"Paul Dwerryhouse" wrote in message
news:NvH_b.683352$_x2.1441912@zonnet-reader-1...
Raffi Balmanoukian a

writes:
Trolling, the last refuge of the scoundrel.

No, I genuinely believe that people who willingly go to flag raising

ceremonies
are morons, participating in a pointless tribal ritual.

Most people are quite illogical , silly, bordering on the insane, most of
the time.
Most people are smart enough to recognise that in others and themselves.

You're as likely to find me at one as you would find me at, say, a church
service.

Reading the above I infer you do not participate in ceremonies because
you consider only tribal morons do so, and you do not consider yourself
one.

Please consider _how_ I can possible deduce that from the text supplied.
Can you describe how I can do that?

Really, I want to know. I want to put it in a box and sell it is as a sanity
monitor.
When people do and say silly things a little beep will warn them.
It will be a wonderful world.

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Graham

"Paul Dwerryhouse" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian a

writes:

The UN Human Development Index had Canada as "best" for many years, a
placement that our Prime Minister trotted out ad nauseum at every

opportunity.
In 2001, Australia took over top ranking. It was huge news in Canada (it
slipped to #3 behind, I believe, Norway). It was barely mentioned, and

hardly
news, in Australia that their island continent was now, according to UN
standards, "the best place in the world."

I think it was because it was telling them what they already knew.

So, basically what you're arguing is that the entire planet should be
Australian patriots, because we've been told "we're the best"? Because if
you're not saying that, then I really don't know what you're on about, at

all.

Trolling, the last refuge of the scoundrel.

No, I genuinely believe that people who willingly go to flag raising

ceremonies
are morons, participating in a pointless tribal ritual.

You're as likely to find me at one as you would find me at, say, a church
service.

yeah, you do sound a bit shallow and without a soul

gra

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID:
Amsterdam, The Netherlands (X) - Melbourne, Australia ( ) | 0x6B91B584

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Graham

"Black Bart" wrote in message
Of course Graham would rather see NZ immigrants as some sort of
freeloaders, whilst NZ worries about losing their best and brightest to
us. So which is it?

Wouldn't the best and brightest Kiwi's be the ones who realize they can
come here and freeload?

and NEVER leave

gra

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Graham

"Graham W" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:
As one of our former PMs (Trudeau) opined about insults directed at
him (by Nixon): "I've been called worse things by better people."

Reminds me of Piggy Muldoon's (past NZ PM) famous comment.

to Australia. He said he wasn't concerned because migration from NZ to
Australia was improving the average IQ in both countries.

Of course Graham would rather see NZ immigrants as some sort of
freeloaders, whilst NZ worries about losing their best and brightest to
us. So which is it?

ah the art of saying something I didn't. I'm sorry that I touched a nerve
with the Permanent Tourists. I welcome anyone to Oz. What I fnd hard to
swallow is even though Oz gives the PT's food, clothing, shelter and a very
good life, they are simply not gracious enough to say "thanks". They never
say "goodbye " either. They never plan to return to their 'own country' . I
work with a wide range of PT's who have lived here for decades and yet I
still hear them say "In my Country" , and they are not talking about Oz. Oz
is where they make their fortune, their country is where they visit an
dlive like Kings and Queens for a month. Just be gracious as I hope we are.
We welcome the skills of the foreigner and we hope that they can make us
bigger and better. In return, we give them the obvious riches that they have
worked for and we invite them to become a part of us. If you do not like us
enough to become a part of Oz, there are planes leaving everyday for " Your
Country".

Now excuse me. The flagS outside my house need adjusting.

I guess having the US overshadowing you so closely does rather put a
different tint on the whole patriotism nonsense.

I'm sure you will have heard this one before, but for the entertainment
of the Aussies:

Some years ago a Canadian newspaper ran a competition. Along the lines
of "As American as apple pie", the contestants had to complete the
phrase "As Canadian as .....".

The winning entry was:

"As Canadian as possible under the circumstances."

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Graham

"Graham W" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:
As one of our former PMs (Trudeau) opined about insults directed at
him (by Nixon): "I've been called worse things by better people."

Reminds me of Piggy Muldoon's (past NZ PM) famous comment.

to Australia. He said he wasn't concerned because migration from NZ to
Australia was improving the average IQ in both countries.

Of course Graham would rather see NZ immigrants as some sort of
freeloaders, whilst NZ worries about losing their best and brightest to
us. So which is it?

Hi Graham..would you mind scanning the Invitation that was sent to you and
posting it here?

cheers

gra

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Graham

"Paul Dwerryhouse" wrote in message
"Graham" writes:

so for being Patriotic..you should try it one day.

Patriotism is a sign of abject stupity. Every country has individuals who
believe that their own country is the "best place in the world" and they
can't all be right.

you didn't reply to
"I just wonder why Kiwis hate us so much, but never go back to the land of
the wrong white crowd...Have you ever heard a Kiwi praise Oz ?"

so why do they come here and yet hate us so much ?

gra

I'll leave it to the morons who go to flag raising ceremonies on Australia

day.

Old February 25th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Graham W

Alan wrote:
This will be my first and last comment after following this thread for a
while.

I don't care which country a person decides to settle in, if they do not
become a citizen of that country then they are a free-loader. There is
far more to citizenship than paying taxes.

Free loader?
How am I freeloading?

For you, of course, if the Oz government decided to discriminate in
favour of citizens when providing services, welfare etc. you'd be the
first to claim that was unfair and undemocratic.

No. I'd be the first to pay up my money and swear allegiance to a Queen
who lives in my country of origin. One I have never had to swear
allegiance to before, and to whom I feel no particular allegiance.

But then, how can anything be undemocratic if you elect not to be a
voter? Voting is compulsory for all Oz citizens not in jail.

Voting is compulsory for me too. Next question?

Obviously, as a non-citizen, you would get out of military service, jury
duty or any other form of service to your adopted country.

Wrong.
Jury duty is based on the electoral roll.
Whilst there is no conscription at the moment, you can be sure that
permanent residents would be conscripted should the time ever come. I
looked into this in some depth when I was of such an age that I might be
conscripted. Foreign citizenship wasn't going to save me.

So you are prepared to accept the security of our stable government,
but you are not prepared to support or defend it.

Not at all.
Seems you, as a citizen, are blissfully ignorant of the rights and
responsibilities of permanent residents.

But be careful if you travel to those countries where you are a citizen;
you may find you owe them some military service.

********. The countries of which I am a citizen are enlightened western
democracies, members of the commonwealth and remarkably similar to
Australia in many ways.

You will also find that, if you are unlucky enough to be charged with
something criminal whilst away from Oz, you may have some difficulty as
a non-citizen in getting back into the country. You may then find your
only option is to settle in one of those other countries.

I am not in the habit of committing crimes. I believe either of the
nations of which I am a citizen will provide assistance of a similar
standard to that which Australia would offer abroad.

You're like the friend who came to visit, but neglected to leave;
pleasant company until the realisation sets in that this guest intends
to bludge off the rest of us forever.

No, I'm the child who was brought here at the age of five, who sees no
point in nationalism and pledges of allegiance that mean nothing to me.

My presence in Australia is as much an accident of fate as yours.

Goodbye.

Don't bother saying Goodbye Alan. I am everywhere, I am all around you.
I am the invisible foreigner in your midst. You pass me on the street
many times every day.

I am utterly indistinguishable from any locally born anglo saxon who
shares my attitudes to the whole nationalism/patriotism nonsense.

Except that I have to get a visa to come back should I ever leave.

And I never asked for anyone to agree with my attitude to any of this.

I simply cited myself as a case to prove someone's silly claim that the
world consists of people who are Australian and people who want to be
Australian.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Graham W

Black Bart wrote:
Wouldn't the best and brightest Kiwi's be the ones who realize they can
come here and freeload?

What exactly do you mean by freeload?

These are educated people that Australia gets for free.

You people seem to have some bizarre obsession with keeping
"freeloaders" out, even if they happen to be very good for Australia.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Graham W

Graham wrote:
Hi Graham..would you mind scanning the Invitation that was sent to you
and posting it here?

What are you talking about?
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Graham

"Graham" writes:

you didn't reply to
"I just wonder why Kiwis hate us so much, but never go back to the land

of
the wrong white crowd...Have you ever heard a Kiwi praise Oz ?"

so why do they come here and yet hate us so much ?

They don't. You're just a paranoid bigot.

really? I'll put it on my CS. Cheers for that

gra