Newfoundland and Labrador folk festivals

Old June 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM
David Dalton

Default Newfoundland and Labrador folk festivals

Here's a note from the tail end of a post I made to
alt.music.s-mclachlan that I thought might be of
interest here. This also went to rec.music.folk
and other groups. Those on nf.general should
comment on any great festivals that I didn't mention.

The biggest folk festivals are the St. John's one
(Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival, with
French theme this year), Brimstone Head Folk
Festival on Fogo Island, Conception Bay Folk
Festival in Carbonear, Southern Shore Folk
Festival on the Southern Avalon, Une Grande Viellie (spelling?)
on The Port Au Port Peninsula, The Punters generally
host a one day Bowring Park festival, The towns
of Logy Bay, Outer Cove, and Torbay I think
each have one day festivals with big acts, but
there are probably a hundred more smaller
community ones around the province, for example
in Conception Bay other than the Carbonear one,
Brigus and Holyrood and Conception Harbour all
have smaller ones and that is just within a few miles.
Oh wait, of course there is The Kelligrews Soiree
as well (there is a Johnny Burke song called
The Kelligrews Soiree ). Also there is a Conne
River Powwow and I think a Labrador Bakeappple festival.

David
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton

Old June 11th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Marcus Streets

David Dalton wrote:
David Dalton wrote:

Here's a note from the tail end of a post I made to
alt.music.s-mclachlan that I thought might be of
interest here. This also went to rec.music.folk
and other groups. Those on nf.general should
comment on any great festivals that I didn't mention.

The biggest folk festivals are the St. John's one
(Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival, with
French theme this year),

details on that at http://www.sjfac.nf.net

Two and a half days and only 2 stages and you call it a big festival.

I would suggest you come to the Cambridge Folk festival - but it sold
out before I managed to buy a ticket.

http://www.cambridgefolkfestival.com/

But there is always next year.

Marcus
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM
David Dalton

Marcus Streets wrote:

Two and a half days and only 2 stages and you call it a big festival.

For a city of 100,000 and a province of 500,000 it is a big festival
and has world class musicians and more celtic content than the
Cambridge Folk Festival I am sure, for less cost and in a more
intimate setting, though maybe 10,000 will attend in the warm
tree lined power-spot confines of Bannerman Park, a one minute
walk to bed and breakfasts and a five minute walk to Hotel
Newfoundland and Captain's Quarters, and a five minute walk
to downtown pubs, unlike many megafestivals that are set
way out in the boonies (though camping can be fun). By
big I meant it is big compared to some small free community
one-day festivals that may get 500 people but not big
compared to Winnipeg, Edmonton and Vancouver Folk Festivals
which are more world music hot spots than this showcase of
stellar ancient-rooted local talent, and cost over
three times as much, and have not been running since
and including 1976 like this one. You don't know what
you are missing.

David

Old June 11th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Marcus Streets

David Dalton wrote:
Marcus Streets wrote:

[...]

Sounds great and I wish I had the time to fly over.
I would really love to get back to Canada someday -I really enjoyed my
last visit.

Mind you Cambridge is only a city of 100,000 and the Cambridge
festival site is within the city boundary - with hotels and bars in
easy walking distance. Obviously I cannot comment on whether Bannerman
Park is as nice as the grounds of Cherry Hinton Hall.

If I wanted to see local talent I would head 10 miles up the road to
Ely - whose Folk Festival has a lot of Morris bands and sides.

Or over to the Straw Bear burning in Whitlesea or over to St Neots.
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Pat

In article ,
Marcus Streets wrote:

Mind you Cambridge is only a city of 100,000 and the Cambridge
festival site is within the city boundary - with hotels and bars in
easy walking distance. Obviously I cannot comment on whether Bannerman
Park is as nice as the grounds of Cherry Hinton Hall.

I went to the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years ago. I mix main stage
FOH sound at the NFLAB Folk festival.

The Cambridge grounds are much larger. There is no on-site camping at
the NFLAB festival.

While Cambridge and St. John's are both small cities, you can reach
Cambridge by rail in only a few hours from most any part of England. By
comparison, the semi-large population centre nearest St. John's is
Halifax. That's a 20 hour road trip, 5-6 of which are spent on a ferry
crossing the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Eugene Knapik

In article ,
Pat wrote:

In article ,
Marcus Streets wrote:

Mind you Cambridge is only a city of 100,000 and the Cambridge
festival site is within the city boundary - with hotels and bars in
easy walking distance. Obviously I cannot comment on whether Bannerman
Park is as nice as the grounds of Cherry Hinton Hall.

I went to the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years ago. I mix main stage
FOH sound at the NFLAB Folk festival.

The Cambridge grounds are much larger. There is no on-site camping at
the NFLAB festival.

While Cambridge and St. John's are both small cities, you can reach
Cambridge by rail in only a few hours from most any part of England. By
comparison, the semi-large population centre nearest St. John's is
Halifax. That's a 20 hour road trip, 5-6 of which are spent on a ferry
crossing the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Aside from the music, Newfoundland is breathtakingly beautiful, and the
people are great, and there are plenty of moose and blueberries...it
doesn't get much better.
Eugene
Old June 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Susan Wachob

Hi David- and everybody else-

I'm about to visit Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island from July 16-26th.
There are as many folk festivals and ceilidhs there as you wrote about
in NF and I'm at a loss as to which ones to choose. Any thoughts about
where I can get some useful info? Each has there own info listings, but
I need some opinions from people who know more personally about them.

Any particularly good festivals? I've seen various little towns where
there's music every Tuesday night at the town hall and things like that.
Anyone have any favorites?

thanks for any info-

Susan

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:29 PM
abe slaney

Susan Wachob wrote:
Hi David- and everybody else-

I'm about to visit Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island from July 16-26th.
There are as many folk festivals and ceilidhs there as you wrote about
in NF and I'm at a loss as to which ones to choose. Any thoughts about
where I can get some useful info? Each has there own info listings, but
I need some opinions from people who know more personally about them.

Any particularly good festivals? I've seen various little towns where
there's music every Tuesday night at the town hall and things like that.
Anyone have any favorites?

thanks for any info-

Susan

Whatever else you do, be sure to get to the dances - Saturdays and
Wednesdays at West Mabou and Thursdays at Glencoe Mills (ask for
directions!) are great fun. Jump in - just keep in mind that if you
don't know what you are doing, it's polite to keep further away from the
musicians. The locals who know the sets will take the squares closest to
the stage and the squares generally move towards the back in descending
order of competence. The music is always terrific, usually at minimum a
piano and fiddle; sometimes 2 fiddles or a guitar, etc.

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Fergus O'Byrne

I've been reading the postings regarding our festival with interest. We just
had a press conference last Thursday regarding this year's Festival in St.
John's. I'm posting the following press release for your perusal.

28th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
presented by the St. John's Folk Arts Council.
PRESS RELEASE

The St. John's Folk Arts Council is proud to present the 28th Annual
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival, which will be held August 6-8, 2004
at Bannerman Park in downtown St. John's. Remaining true to their mandate,
which is to promote and preserve the folk arts of Newfoundland and Labrador,
the festival committee promises that the first weekend of August in
Bannerman Park will be a veritable feast of diverse talent from all over the
province. Well known performers such as Pamela Morgan, Ray Walsh, Anita
Best, Jenny Gear and the Whiskey Kittens, The Punters, Frank Maher, Bernard
and Robert Felix, Jim Fidler, Jean Hewson and Christina Smith, Rik Barron
and Dave Panting and many more will be on stage to celebrate a weekend of
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts.

In addition, the Neil Murray Stage, an increasingly favourite afternoon
gathering place, will feature the finest of our young folk musicians and
singers. Many of these young people are already seasoned performers and
have willingly accepted the important role of carriers of our traditions.

Also, building on the very positive response from last year's festival,
starting at 10:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings (Aug 2nd and 3rd) you
can come to Bannerman Park and see your favourite folk performers "up close
and personal" on three interactive workshop stages! These three stages will
focus on oral traditions (singing and storytelling), Newfoundland
Traditional Dance, and instrumental traditions. All workshops begin at 10:00
AM and end at 1:00PM. Then you can sit down and enjoy the fabulous
entertainment on the Mainstage and the Neil Murray Stage

Through this year's "Common Ground" Program, our audience can explore the
French traditional arts of Newfoundland and Labrador, and Canada.
Performances in French song, dance, and storytelling, will highlight the
ongoing impact of French Culture on both our Anglophone and Francophone
artists. The performers participating in this program a Le Vent Du Nord
(2004 Juno Award winners) , Samantha Robichaud, Bernard and Robert Felix,
Jim Fidler, Thierry Artur and Algerian Singer Lekbir Halali, Colleen Power
and Dougie Benoit.

This year the St. John's Folk Arts Council is happy to award it's Lifetime
Achievement Award to traditional singer, Becky Bennett. Born in St. Paul's
on the Great Northern Peninsula in 1908, Mrs. Bennett was one of Kenneth
Peacock's main source singers when he visited Newfoundland in the 1950's,
collecting songs eventually published in his three-volume anthology "Songs
Of The Newfoundland Outports". Her singing has influenced many Newfoundland
folk acts, including Figgy Duff, Christina Smith and Jean Hewson, and Daniel
Payne.

So all in all, it promises to be an exciting weekend in Bannerman Park. This
beautiful park, situated in the heart of the oldest city in North America,
is only a stone's throw from several major hotels and a host of wonderful
bed and breakfast spots. For further information please visit our website at
http://www.sjfac.nf.net/ or contact Erin McArthur at the SJFAC Office,
Phone: (709) 576-8508, Email:

Sponsors for this event a Canadian Heritage, The Governments of Canada
through ACOA, The City of St. John's, Steele Communications with VOCM &
Radio Newfoundland, Molson, Exxon Mobil, The Newfoundland Francophone
Society Canada Council for the Arts, Browning Harvey, The Express, and O'
Brien's Music Store.

--
"

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Heather Rose Russell

"Fergus O'Byrne" wrote in message ...
I've been reading the postings regarding our festival with interest. We just
had a press conference last Thursday regarding this year's Festival in St.
John's. I'm posting the following press release for your perusal.

28th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival
presented by the St. John's Folk Arts Council.
PRESS RELEASE

The St. John's Folk Arts Council is proud to present the 28th Annual
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival, which will be held August 6-8, 2004

Ah yes, the good old Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival. I never
miss it. It's one of the highlights of my summer.

So now, you all pray for good weather for that weekend, you hear?

Heather