walkie talkies

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

Default walkie talkies

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article .com,

Secondly, they don't generally react well to steel, so using them
(for instance) to call the hubby in the room from the pool or to ask the
Kid where she is instead of the table ready for dinner may not always
work. These are limitations of the radios themselves and tend to be
independent of brands.

That's what most people have found out...we tried them out a few times &
there more trouble than there worth - even the gmrs type. Perhaps in an
airport they might be handy they'd come in handy but in most US airports or
ship terminal our cell phones have good signal & are more reliable.

Old October 19th, 2007, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jimbobjoe

BREAKER!!! BREAKER!!!

YEA...HOW 'BOUT A RADIO CHECK???

JBJ

Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Alan Meyer" :

"nekochan" wrote in message
roups.com...
Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

I have used very cheap Conair Expedition FRS radios that I
bought many years ago onboard ships. They sometimes work
if you're not too far away from the other person, but you can't
count on them. When you're in your stateroom, separated by
many walls from the other person, the chance of hearing
anything is low.

I find them particularly useful in airports. When the wife goes
to the bathroom and I need to tell her that the plane is boarding,
the FRS radio is just the thing to use.

Yeah, and just like a cell phone in the bathroom, you know exactly
when it's going to go off.

I've also used them on
land where she might like to go into the shops and I prefer to
walk around or sit on a bench and read a book. They enable
us to find each other within a range of a mile or so.

Alan

--
dillon

Flower Whiskers, RIP
What a great leader
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Splenda

We bought el-cheapo walkie talkies onboard a long time ago but were not
happy with the range or clearness.
We bought Uniden Scramble a year or so ago. Absolutely love them.
We also looked far and wide and finally found the earphone/mic that allow us
to talk and listen without pushing buttons. We also like the fact that we
can put them on scramble and not have to listen to shipboard conversations
or the crew or have them interrupt ours.
These are rechargeable so we don't have to worry about running out of
batteries. I believe these have a very long range, I can't remember for sure
but I think 10 miles or more.
No, I don't sell them or even have stock in the company. lol

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
Thus spake "Alan Meyer" :

groups.com...

Old October 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

"Splenda" wrote in message
We bought el-cheapo walkie talkies onboard a long time ago but were not
happy with the range or clearness.
We bought Uniden Scramble a year or so ago. Absolutely love them.
We also looked far and wide and finally found the earphone/mic that allow
us to talk and listen without pushing buttons. We also like the fact that
we can put them on scramble and not have to listen to shipboard
conversations or the crew or have them interrupt ours.
These are rechargeable so we don't have to worry about running out of
batteries. I believe these have a very long range, I can't remember for
sure but I think 10 miles or more.
No, I don't sell them or even have stock in the company. lol

You're so called scramble feature doesn't prevent anyone from hearing your
transmissions, it only keeps you from hearing anyone else that's talking at
the time. It does is keep you radio quiet but if they're using the channel
& you unknowingly use it at the same time no one gets their message through.

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT[_3_]

"Boomer" wrote in message

"Splenda" wrote in message
[...]

Where, precisely, do you intend to use these walkie-talkies? Are they
allowed to be used aboard ship? Certainly, unless they are specifically
approved, they are illegal in many Countries.
--

JohnT

Old October 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT[_3_]

"clint" wrote in message

I threw one of the damn things overboard on our last trip(I'm a senior)

Lots of us, including myself, are seniors (or wrinklies, as we prefer to
call ourselves here in the UK) but we learned many years ago that
top-posting is a very anti-social practice. Is Clint still saving up for his
first cruise?
--

JohnT

Old October 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:37:11 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Yeah, and just like a cell phone in the bathroom, you know exactly
when it's going to go off

Pleas, tell me that when you finish, you wash *then* pick up that phone
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:37:11 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Yeah, and just like a cell phone in the bathroom, you know exactly
when it's going to go off

Pleas, tell me that when you finish, you wash *then* pick up that phone

I've tried using a cell phone while in the stall, but with Senator Craig
tap dancing in the next one over, it's impossible to hear.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,