MSC Opera Review (GGC2006)

Old February 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default MSC Opera Review (GGC2006)

Ship: MSC Opera
Itinerary: Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Martin,
Dominican Republic, Ft. Lauderdale.)

Sailing Date: 28 January 2006

Reviewer: Roland Behunin

This was the GGC2006

Words of Caution: Watch out for the taxi drivers in Ft. Lauderdale as
they will attempt to take you on a ride to run up the fare. On our way
to the pier, the taxi drivers took the longest way they could to the
pier to run up the fare, and on the way back to the hotel, one driver
was trying to talk the other driver into taking a longer way to the
hotel to run up the fare. Ft. Lauderdale needs to police their taxi
drivers to try and get them to take the shortest route between two
points. Also, trying to get a taxi when getting off the ship was a
joke. So if you are dealing with taxi drivers in Ft. Lauderdale, be
prepared to be taken for a ride. So if you are disembarking a ship in
Ft. Lauderdale, and headed for the Airport, see about the cruise line
transfer. THIS WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF GRIEF!

Good points of the cruise: The entertainment was the best
entertainment we have had on a cruise line. The shows at night were
outstanding. The only really fair show was the magic show the second
night out. The other shows were really well done. The first night was
just an over view of the shows during the week. They had "Le Cirque
Immaginaire" one night that was really well done. Trapeze artists,
human pyramid (strong man), comic that seemed to go to the Red Skelton
school of comedy. Now, the same performers did the shows most nights.
They did have a "Classical Trio" that played in the lounge outside
the dinning room that did a show one night. Really wonderful music.
The theatre was a wonderful theatre. The ceiling was arranged with
baffling for concert hall sound. Also, for the people that wanted a
drink before the show there was a lounge outside the theatre, however
no drinks were allowed inside the theatre, and we did not have cocktail
waiters and cocktail waitresses interrupting the show to serve drinks.
This is the way most true theatrical productions operate, not the way
most cruise ships operate. (I enjoyed this change, as one of the
reasons I go on cruises is for the shows, and I find the waiters to be
a problem at times.)

The Dominican Republic was a nice change from the more heavily visited
ports. The people were really glad to see us. In the town square they
had a welcoming dance for the ship. The people were all dressed up in
festive costumes. La Roma was a fairly nice place, a bit of a third
world country. The ship was trying to sell their shore excursions
here, and the town was running shuttles buses for much less. The
shuttle buses were a much better deal. In the evening we went to the
Kandela show at Casa de Campo. The show was breath taking. This is a
huge resort, and one that it might be useful to stay at for a week
sometime. I am not sure how much this resort costs, but it might be
worth looking into?

The Private Island in the Dominican Republic was a bit of a welcome
change, and a nice relaxing note to finish the cruise on.

In St. Martin; Ed and Jean O'Boyle and us took a taxi over to the
French side and had a look at the town. The town on the French side
doesn't see as many people off the cruise ship, and the people were
fairly nice. Kristi was shopping, and I purchased a soda to drink
while she was looking in the shops. The lady at the Cafe tried to get
me to sit down to drink the soda instead of walking down the street.
More of an attitude toward life on the French Side of the Island... If
you are going to have a drink, take the time to enjoy it.

San Juan, PR was a evening port call. I am not really sure why the
ship stopped there. Some people boarded the ship there. However, for
the passengers on the ship, there really wasn't much to see as
everything was in the dark. It was cooler than during the day in San
Juan, and I managed to get a nice photo of the ship in San Juan.

Overall, the cruise on the MSC Opera reminded me a good deal of my
first cruise on NCL's Seaward back in 1990, before NCL was purchased by
Star cruises. This was when NCL had set dinner times, and did the full
Broadway productions on board ship. I think if MSC makes some minor
changes and keeps the good things they will be able to compete in the
Caribbean market. Mainly the waiters need to be able to explain the
food choices to the passengers. Once we had an idea what choices to
make on the menu, the food was fairly good. The problem came from not
understanding what you were actually ordering, and the waiters having
trouble explaining it.

We ate mostly in the dinning room. We only ate in the buffet if we did
not have the time for the dinning room. Perhaps we should have tried
the buffet for a few more meals.

The only time I really had a problem with second hand smoke was when I
decided to talk with people whom I knew to be smokers. My choice to
talk with them while they are sitting on the pool deck, or in a smoking
sections, so I have to put up the the second hand smoke.
Other then that, it was not too much of a problem. I did have run
into one lady who thought smoking in a food line was acceptable. Some
other people sort of told her it was not.

roland

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

How about more details on things like food. What was in the breakfast and
lunch buffets? Omelet station? Pancakes & Waffles? How about lunch? What
kinds of appetizers and main meals for dinner. Did salads come with
dressing, or did they have a dressing plate? Size of dinner tables. Who
sat with who? Were the waiters good? Bread on the tables of served from a
basket?

Please explain the smoking in a food like.

What did the ship look like? We need some Ben Smith type observations.
Whimsical? Classical? Art Deco? Color combinations. Use of marble, etc.

What kind of activities? Pool games? Bingo in 30 languages?

We've been to San Juan 30 times... nothing new there. But the ship is new
for most of us. Give some details. Tell us about the MSC experience. What
you liked. What you didn't like.

--Tom

oups.com...

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Smoking in a food line... opps

As far as what the ship looked like, I sent phil at
www.seacruisechat.com some photos. He should post some of them in a
day or so.

I did not do bingo. Some of the people did. Marble floors. Waiters
were good. We had a table for 6. Tobie and his wife Barbara were with
us, and a couple that Cal Ford knew Richard and his wife were at our
table. Then Ermalee and a group of people were at another table. I
think I also sent photos of the tables to Phil.

I am not sure just which photos made it to Phil, and which did not, as
I was at the Ft. Lauderdale airport and some of the email bounced from
him. I think sending him 100 photos at once was a bit more then his
mail server could handle. I should not send that many photos. I have
around 400 or so from the cruise.

I really liked the shows, and what MSC is doing with the theatre. Not
serving drinks in the theatre is a different concept for a cruise
ship. Having the cocktail lounge outside the theatre like some real
theatres (the one in Seattle comes to mind), just gives you the
impression that the people are true actors and performers and not there
just to entertain the passengers. On other ships, there have been a
number of times that the cocktail waiters have interrupted the show to
serve drinks or take orders from someone that showed up to the show
late. This was a welcome change. I think I would almost book another
MSC cruise just for this.

I didn't care for the buffet on the first day. It was a mad house, and
I really didn't go back to the buffet much after that if I could help
it. I found out later in the week that the ship was under going a
health inspection from ... which governmant agency is it that does the
cruise ship sanitary inspections? That was the reason the buffet on
the first day was delayed.

Breads at dinner were served in a basket on the table. At breakfast
you had to be real specific about what pastries you wanted to order.
They did not bring around the pastry tray like other cruise lines. If
you wanted a crossant, you had to ask for that. If you wanted a "Pain
au chocolate" you had to ask the waiter for that. If you wanted toast,
you had to ask for that.

They were lacking in organized activities in the afternoon. Also, the
ships shops were a bit different. They had mostly expensive items to
purchase, and not really anything in the way of touristy souvineer type
things to take home. They also had sort of different hours, more like
the European Stores. Open in the Morning, and closed in the afternoon,
and then open until late (11:00, 11:30 most nights) at night.

Salads came with dressings, but if you wanted a different dressing most
of the time they would see what they could do. I do not care for Blue
Cheese dressing, and that was the dressing on the salad one night, and
I asked if they could do it with ranch or thousand island and they
managed to do ranch dressing.

All the documents said you were not allowed to carry on you own booze,
but we put a couple of bottles of mead in the suitcases and had no
problem. Most of the group put wine in the suitcases and had no
problem. Also, the package store on board would sell you a bottle to
take back to your room, you just were not allowed to drink it in the
public areas. The store cleck even said that to people. When you
purchased it in port, they would check it for you until the last day,
and then deliver it to your room.

The lobster was not very good. Something else would have been a better
choice that night.
Hopefully Phil will get some photos up today or tomorrow on the
Seacruise website.

roland

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , "Tom K"
wrote:

How about more details on things like food. What was in the breakfast and
lunch buffets? Omelet station? Pancakes & Waffles? How about lunch? What
kinds of appetizers and main meals for dinner. Did salads come with
dressing, or did they have a dressing plate? Size of dinner tables. Who
sat with who? Were the waiters good? Bread on the tables of served from a
basket?

Please explain the smoking in a food like.

What did the ship look like? We need some Ben Smith type observations.
Whimsical? Classical? Art Deco? Color combinations. Use of marble, etc.

What kind of activities? Pool games? Bingo in 30 languages?

We've been to San Juan 30 times... nothing new there. But the ship is new
for most of us. Give some details. Tell us about the MSC experience. What
you liked. What you didn't like.

--Tom

I'll try a few things, although I'm not as observant as Ben... ;-)

Appearance - I was struck with the subdued elegance, Opera reminded me
of Millenium in many ways as far as appearance.

Buffets -

The regular buffet room served a large variety of breakfast foods during
that period of time. Fruits, some smoked fishes, bacon, sausage,
scrambled eggs, Italian cold cuts and various breads. Weird part was
that the butter wasn't anywhere near the bread, rather it was near the
smoked fish, as was the cream cheese.

While I noticed the cook-to-order buffet line, I never ate there. The
other breakfast line had all I wanted. I noticed omelets and fried to
order eggs, pancakes and waffles, but didn't notice if they had much
variety in the pancakes and waffles.

Lunch menu in the buffet was quite broad. Goodly selection of salad
fixings and at least 4 dressings, including my favorite, blue cheese.
There were always Italian cold cuts, cappicola, parma ham, proscuitto at
least once and one variety of hard salami. Main dishes usually included
a meat or fish stew and a carving station. One day they had roast
suckling pig at lunch on the carving station. They also had a fair
selection of deserts.

Salt, pepper and sugar was not on the tables in the buffets. I never
found where they kept the salt and pepper hidden. Also the silver is
carried by you from the buffet line.

Frankly the buffet was good, but nothing really stood out. It is
certainly not up to say Princess' variety and quality, imo.

Dining room -

Dinner was a complete multi-course dinner...

Appetizers were good and varied. Shrimp cocktail, a marinated pork
dish, a parma ham dish, and a marinated beef dish were the ones that
made an impression on me, a positive impression I might add.

Salads were varied and included the dressing on the salad. I don't know
if you could have asked for a side of dressing instead as no one at our
dining table asked for that. I thought the salads were good, but not
outstanding.

All meals had either antipasto or rissotos offered. Some very good,
some not so good. But they varied each night, I don't think there was
any repeats. I usually had the antipasto, most tasty but some very
bland. I had a shrimp rossoto that was very good, but the other
rissotos didn't appeal to me.

For the main course, they always had the 'available every night' part
which included steak, grilled salmon and spaghetti bolognese. I had the
steak one night because nothing appealed to me on the main dish portion.
The steak was good, well cooked and tender.

For the main selections they had a good variety. The Italian dishes
were the best, imo. Beef dishes were very good, as was the pork dishes.
Interesting combinations of spicing on these. Comments from those that
had the fish dishes were similar, very good. They also had vegetarian
dishes that I heard were good, but didn't try.

For those that don't like sauces on their beef dishes, you can ask for
them to be done that way, although it isn't indicated on the menu.
Personally I liked their sauces, but some didn't.

Deserts ranged from excellent to just so-so. The so-so was the cakes,
very dry. The rest were wonderful, tasty and not as sugary as we are
used to in the US. I loved the cheesecake. It was lighter and more
moist than most I have had.

One thing they did do that I hadn't seen for awhile was have the baked
alaska parade, complete with flaming baked alaskas. Very nice and
delicious.

The wine list was quite extensive, imo. Prices ranged from $19 up to
about $100, with many in the $30-40 range. We had red wine at every
dinner. The first bottle was an Argentinian wine that was outstanding.
A dry wine, but not as dry as say a Cabernet, and for once I could
actually taste all those 'hints of...' that the wine gurus always
mention. The second wine was an Italian red. Dry but light, not quite
so full-bodied as the Argentinian one. Even the red table wine offering
was quite good.

I didn't write down the names of the two wines I really liked as I don't
drink at all except on cruise. Delma did however, maybe she'll post
somewhere what the wines were. If she does, I'll post them on RTC.

Dining tables were 4, 6 and 8 person settings, some with partial booth
seating. The sizes of the tables well fit the number of people, you
never felt crowded.

Breads were always on the table with both salted and unsalted butter in
the butter dish.

Silverware was done on an as needed basis, not the all is there that
some lines do. The waiters were very good an ensuring that you had the
proper silver for whatever course you were on.

Oddities in dining ....

Toothpicks -- not a one to be found anywhere on the ship. I finally
absconded one of the umbrellas for drinks and it became my very close
friend.

Salt and Pepper -- outside of the dining room, this wasn't readily
available. Seemed odd to me.

The only real problem in the dining room, imo, was that the portions
were pretty large. If you had an appetizer, salad, antipasto, soup,
main course and desert; getting up from the table was an effort! ;-)

I'll let someone else talk about pool and deck activities because I
didn't participate much in them.

Lloyd
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I think I already covered the breakfast buffet yesterday, so if there's
anything else, just ask.

On the lunch buffet some salads came dressed others not. I particularly
liked the one with tuna and tomatoes. Only salads I can remember seeing at
dinner came dressed just as the entrees came sauced. I don't think it would
be a big deal to ask for that to be changed though. The green salads on the
buffet weren't dressed, but since I didn't have any I didn't pay too much
attention to what dressings were available.

Yes there was a bread basket on the table in the dining room. Different
contents each night.

Tables were of varied size. Roland already described his table, also at
early seating was a medium sized table with Erm & Bill, Jean & Ed, Barbara &
Cotton. Mary, Cecil and I were seated at a table intended for four. I prefer
a larger table. Our group also had a table at late seating. Pat & Cal were
there along with Joyce & Rusty (friends of theirs), Delma & Harry, and
Lloyd. Although that was neither my assigned time or table, I ate with them
most nights, while still spending some time at the early seating too. I
thought the waiters were great... but my requirements might be different
than some other people's.

I would describe the decor as "understated", a big plus for me. Some spaces
were "intimate" in size, some of those were generously mirrored. Of interest
along those lines... inside cabins had a large mirror over the bed instead
of the more usual curtain mimicking a window. There was another mirror over
the desk and a full length one on another wall. That all helped make the
space appear larger than it might have otherwise seem. There were lots of
mirrors and marble in and near the elevators. Nice touch.

Things were done (generally) in five languages.

Yes there were pool activities, Lloyd mentioned that even he got involved in
them. There was the most amusing game of musical chairs I've ever seenVBG.

Liquor can still be purchased on board and taken back to the cabin although
that policy isn't in writing anywhere. The gift shops have more logo items
than they did the last time I cruised with MSC although they are all general
MSC Crociere rather than specific ships. A simple baseball cap cost $4.80 (I
got one to keep my hair out of my mouth and eyes) and a polo shirt $13 until
the last day when they were 3 for something a bit less. I had already
purchased one and didn't need/want three, so I didn't feel too badly about
that. The Italian clothing is expensive and I don't know that they sell too
much of it. They have a perfume shop and a jewelry store too along with the
clothing and duty free shops.

Marsha

Old February 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Someone asked about condiments in the buffet... if one walked all the way
forward there was a table on each side with condiments. Did anyone look at
it to know if salt and pepper were there? The first day I didn't go that far
and in fact wasn't even aware that there was a drink station in each forward
corner.

Marsha

Old February 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ,
"Marsha L" wrote:

Someone asked about condiments in the buffet... if one walked all the way
forward there was a table on each side with condiments. Did anyone look at
it to know if salt and pepper were there? The first day I didn't go that far
and in fact wasn't even aware that there was a drink station in each forward
corner.

Marsha

Ah.. Another hidden gem, huh? G

Lloyd
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

LOL! That's the thing... it wasn't hidden at all... but if one just went
down either buffet line and then sat at a table on the same side they missed
a lot and that's what I did at lunch on sailing day. But there was another
section all the way forward that had desserts at lunch and cold cereals,
yogurt and fruit salad at breakfast. The condiment tables were on either
side of that.

I had coffee this morning... French Roast tasted really good... will be
drinking more than I usually do so I can feel free to try out the four
pounds of I bought during the Great Coffee QuestG.

Marsha

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message

Marsha

Ah.. Another hidden gem, huh? G

Lloyd

Old February 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thank you, Roland, Lloyd & Marsha L, for providing feedback on your MSC
Opera cruise. It sounds like y'all liked the cruise product, plus had great
big fun with the GGC gang.

I like what I'm hearing and am thinking MSC will be a strong candidate for
us when they start cruising out of NYC.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old February 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Marsha L" wrote in message
LOL! That's the thing... it wasn't hidden at all... but if one just went
down either buffet line and then sat at a table on the same side they
missed a lot and that's what I did at lunch on sailing day. But there was
another section all the way forward that had desserts at lunch and cold
cereals, yogurt and fruit salad at breakfast. The condiment tables were on
either side of that.

I had coffee this morning... French Roast tasted really good... will be
drinking more than I usually do so I can feel free to try out the four
pounds of I bought during the Great Coffee QuestG.

Marsha

John S. mentioned that they had a Tang type breakfast drink instead of Real
Orange Juice? Did you guys have the same, or real OJ?