First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

Old November 9th, 2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Default First cruise - CARIBBEAN - questions

Thus spake Ray Goldenberg :

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:15:12 -0600, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

RCI is requiring passports for cruises returning after Jan 8. So that
makes the rest of the discussion moot for them (I haven't seen
anything from Celebrity, I assume they are doing so as well).

Hi Dillon,

As a matter of clarification, the above is not correct. Royal
Caribbean dropped the passport requirement after the law was changed.
The cruise lines lobbied heavily for this law change.
From Royal Caribbean:

Yeah, I got that fax after I posted it.

But in mid October they did say they were requiring them.

Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

Air Travel

Effective January 8, 2007, passports will be required for all U.S.
citizens flying to or from all international destinations. This
includes all areas of the world in which our ships sail, such as the
Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central
and South America.

"Cruise Travel

As early as January 1, 2008, subject to U.S. Government amendment,
passports will be required for all U.S. citizens cruising to or from
all international destinations. This includes all areas of the world
in which our ships sail, such as the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the
Caribbean, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central and South America.
Until that time, the following travel document requirements apply:

International Travel
A valid passport is required; visas are required where they
apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Central and South America.

Domestic Travel
For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda,
Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is
highly recommended.
In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or
a certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state
or local government agency is required.
A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not
considered to be proof of citizenship.
Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Charles :

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Charles, the last press release I have from RCI says that they are
requiring them, due to the possibility of having to fly home. DCL is
"strongly recommending" them for much the same reason. I have an
email in to my Carnival DSM about it, we'll see what she has to say.

I am going by what they say on their web site. They do highly recommend
them but don't require them. Of course it would be prudent to have a
passport because of the possible emergency need to fly home. I would go
as far as saying it is stupid not to have one because of that
possibility.

I have a friend who's a gate agent at IAH for Continental. She says
that you will be denied boarding in foreign airports as well as
domestic (for international trips). So if you miss the ship in
Cozumel, you are royally screwed.

Old November 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Default More questions [long]

Thus spake Sue and Kevin Mullen :

wrote:

We decided to take just oceanview cabin, it was huge
diffrent between balcony cabin (at this date), we think it's better to
stay in Miami longer.

Very wise choice and I think you will be happy with your decision.

BTW, We are from Poland, we have polish passports and we will be back
before 31st of December, so i think we don't have "passport" problem.
We have valid american visas.

I would check with the cruise line and the Embassy or whoever you get
your visas from and make sure that you have all the paperwork you need.

Good point. I don't think Poland is a visa waiver country, so you'll
need a multi entry visa. Contact the US embassy for details.

1.Labadee : ??? we don't have any plans for this place, we thought
about excursion from RCI but we couldn't find any intresting beside
SeaTrek Parasail, do You have any idea what to do there??? Have You
ever tried parasail in Labadee?

Labadee is their private island and mostly a day at the beach. They
will have lunch available(freee) and bar service which can go on your
sign and sail card. If you are interested in the parasailing, this
would be a good place to do it since there isn't much else to do.

2.Ocho Rios: We thought to rent a car and go to Montego Bay, but we
worry is it enough time? We would like to see Dunn's Falls also, do You
know how far is it from the port? Where is the best place for shopping?

Do not rent a car and go on your own in Jamaica. Dunn's Falls is IMO a
must do, but take one of the ships excursions that takes you there by
boat.

3.George Town: snorkeling, can You recomend any place? We didn't want
to take our equipment, where we can rent something? We heard there is a
place where we can see stingrays during snorkeling, do you know
anything about it?

The must do here is swimming with the stingrays and the best way to do
it is to book with Captain Marvin. I see that Jean O'Boyle has already
given you his website.

4.Cozumel: is it enough time (9 hours) to get to Tulum? how is with
ferrys? How did You spend Your day in Cozumel? I really would like to
see ruins in Tulum, but we afraid it is too complicated?

Tulum is a wonderful sight to visit and I suggest for this you take
one of the cruise lines excursions. It is a long excursion and if you
are on one of the ships excursions and are late getting back to the
ship they will wait for you. If you go by yourself and are late, the
ship will not wait for you.

8. Is it only one meal included? Do we have to decide what time we want
to eat? Should we do any reservation before? What about room service?
Can we just order our meal to the room or we have to eat at the dining
room? I read somewhere room service is included, What does it mean?
food is included or service charges?

All of your meals on the ship are covered, unless you eat in one of
the specialty venues and then there is a cover charge for them. You
can eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room or at the buffet, just
look in the daily newsletter for times. When you book the cruise you
have to decide if you want early or late seating for dinner. If you
don't want to eat dinner in the dining room, there is always the
buffet. Then there is always room service which is free, but you
should give a small tip to the waiter. Most of the time there is food
available any time of the day or night that you want.

sue

Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thursday, November 2, 2006 at 5:29:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We decided to buy our first cruise:
place - Caribbean, time - December, we found too many nice cruises and
now we are confused what is the best for us? We need some help....

We have three types:
1) 7-night Caribbean-Western - from Miami with Royal Caribbean -
Voyager of the Seas
- Labadee, Haiti
- Ocho Rios, Jamaica
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Cozumel

2) 8-night Caribbean-Eastern - from Fort Lauderdale with Royal
Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda
- Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands
- St. Martin - Sint Maarten
- Nassau, Bahamas

3) 10-night Caribbean-Ultimate - from Tampa with Celebrity Cruises -
Zenith
- George Town, Grand Cayman
- Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
- Colon, Panama
- Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras
- Cozumel, Mexico

We have a lot of questions, we are under 30, we would like to see a
lot, we like snorkeling, exotic places, good fun etc. It will be our
honeymoon, but we want to spend it in active way. We don't want to
spend all day on the beach.
Do You think 1st cruise for 10 nights isn't too long for first timers??
Is it better to take 7 nights?
Is it big diffrence between these lines ( royal and celebrity ) ? Is it
really bad to stay at interior room or it's better to pay a little bit
more for oceanview? what we should know about additional charges? Is
some lines better for "young" people? ( beside disney's ship )? What
about shore excursions? Have You tried something? What can You
recomend? Is it better to organize our time by ourselves or buy some
excursions? We would love to hear everything what You know, every
suggestion, specialy from people who tried one of those cruises.
It's our first time and we would like to know everything before we book
the cruise
Thank You soooooo much

Eve

I am in the process of applying for a cruise job and wanted to work in the Caribbean and and Central America and wanted to know which Cruise companies would be best to apply through for this region. I live near Philadadelphia too if that matters. Thank you for your help folks..
Chad
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:26:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Good luck.. the cruise companies usually hire outside of the US.
unless you are an entertainer like a comedian or a musician
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 1/22/2015 6:39 PM, wrote:

Good luck.. the cruise companies usually hire outside of the US.
unless you are an entertainer like a comedian or a musician

The do, however hire from the US if you are multi trained so if you are
a scuba instructor and a dancer/singer, you are more likely to get a gig
with the cruise director staff.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Providing high pressure breathing air compressors and accessories for
Fire Department, SCUBA, Paintball and industrial use since 1981
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rosie

On Thursday, November 2, 2006 at 4:29:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I would pass on 1. 2 and three both sound nice. I especially like Grand Caymen because of the Manta Ray excursion, also Roatan, you can snorkle there too, t is beautiful.

Having Haiti and Jamaica on the same trip would not be fun in my opinion. If you want to shop, Cozumel has plenty of shopping, they have a Diamonds International in every third building. Not kidding here.

You can check the excursions before you leave on line, if you see something you like you can book it ahead, you can do things on your own too. Check it all out and decide what appeals to you.
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 5/17/2015 3:36 PM, Rosie wrote:

I would pass on 1. 2 and three both sound nice. I especially like
Grand Caymen because of the Manta Ray excursion, also Roatan, you can
snorkle there too, t is beautiful.

Having Haiti and Jamaica on the same trip would not be fun in my
opinion. If you want to
shop, Cozumel has plenty of shopping, they have a Diamonds
International in every third building. Not kidding here.

You can check the excursions before you leave on line, if you see
something you like you can book it ahead, you can do things on your
own too. Check it all out and decide what appeals to you.

Rosie,

Did you happen to notice that the question was from 2006?

--

Ray