A couple Eurostar questions

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

Default A couple Eurostar questions

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

The same argument would apply to most journeys in the UK, but people
still choose First Class. In my experience, E* Standard class can be
extremely crowded and noisy,

The last time I used Eurostar, second-class was hell - millions of
screaming schoolchildren being ignored by their 'teachers' who were in
allegedly in charge of them, reeking backpackers plonking huge rucksacks
in the aisles, ****ed-up lads coming back from a stag night...

I took one look and instantly upgraded to first-class - UKP60, but I'd
have happily paid double.

Ian

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Rian van der Borgt

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:08:01 +0100, Ian F. wrote:
The last time I used Eurostar, second-class was hell - millions of
screaming schoolchildren being ignored by their 'teachers' who were in
allegedly in charge of them, reeking backpackers plonking huge rucksacks
in the aisles, ****ed-up lads coming back from a stag night...

I've never had such a bad Eurostar experience...

I took one look and instantly upgraded to first-class - UKP60, but I'd
have happily paid double.

I'd have gone to look for a quieter coach... I didn't know upgrade to
first class was possible on board. How is the upgrade fare determined
BTW?

Regards,

Rian

--
Rian van der Borgt, Leuven, Belgium.
e-mail: www: http://www.evonet.be/~rvdborgt/
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 09:08:01 on Wed, 23 Aug
2006, Ian F. remarked:
The last time I used Eurostar, second-class was hell - millions of
screaming schoolchildren being ignored by their 'teachers' who were in
allegedly in charge of them,

I suppose they are heading to/from EuroDisney. I was on one recently
where they filled one of the coaches quite close to the buffet, and
effectively made it impassable for the rest of the train.
--
Roland Perry
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Rian van der Borgt" wrote in message

I'd have gone to look for a quieter coach...

There probably wouldn't have been any - the train was full. I had had a
hard day in Paris, heavy meetings etc., and the last thing I wanted was
that sort of journey back. And by the way I'm self-employed, so I paid the
UKP60 myself!

I didn't know upgrade to first class was possible on board.

I've done a couple of times.

How is the upgrade fare determined BTW?

No idea, but it's always been UKP60 for me, ParisLondon.

Ian

Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Simon Geller

Rian van der Borgt wrote:

From what I've noticed, Eurostar start to fill a coach from one side,
but I'm not sure if that means they always start at the Brussel/Paris or
London side, or that they start at the front of the train in the
direction of travel. The latter should indeed mean that in each coach,
the backward-facing seats are filled first.

Regards,

Rian

Whatever it is, I hope they sort it out by the time (a) they open CTRL2
(b) they refurbish the trains, which I imagine they would want to do
before they relaunch the service.

Simon
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Charlie Hulme

Hatunen wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:24:23 +0100, Jonathan Morton
wrote:

Incidentally, many people (myself included) think it's worth paying the
extra to go first class, provided you can get the cheapest first class
fares.

I see little point in paying for first class on a trip that lasts
less than three hours. Standard class isn't all that
uncomfortable. And surely the meal isn't worth the difference in
price.

It is if you are travelling on beyond Paris or Brussels,
especially if travelling on by overnight train.

Bear in mind though that there now seem to be three classes
on Eurostar - Leisure First passengers can get quite
a cheap ticket but the meal offering seems (or seemed
to me this summer) to be rather less: no menu card,
and indeed no choice of meal except that pre-booked
vegetarians got a veggy item. No second glass of
champagne either :-(

Or was I just unlucky?

Charlie

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Simon Geller wrote:

Whatever it is, I hope they sort it out by the time (a) they open CTRL2
(b) they refurbish the trains, which I imagine they would want to do
before they relaunch the service.

I believe the trains have now been refurbished - last time I used
Eurostar the lurid yellow in Standard Class had been replaced by more
muted brown and grey colouring. Perhaps 'refreshed' would be a better
description of this.

I know there were quite radical plans for refurbishment put forward a
couple of years ago, but presume these have been cancelled?

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Charlie Hulme

I didn't know upgrade to first class was possible on board.

I've done a couple of times.

How is the upgrade fare determined BTW?

No idea, but it's always been UKP60 for me, ParisLondon.

Including the meal, presumably. Looks like good value.

Is that proper first class, or "leisure" first?

Charlie

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Charlie Hulme" wrote in message

Is that proper first class, or "leisure" first?

Proper first. It's a good experience.

Ian