London Heathrow - getting from terminal 4 to terminal 1?

Old March 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default London Heathrow - getting from terminal 4 to terminal 1?

How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Old March 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I think I found all my answers simply by looking a couple of dozen
threads below this one.
But one more question: are flights from Heathrow to Ireland (not
Northern Ireland) considered "domestic" - what are the customs
procedures when in transit at Heathrow between North America and
Ireland?

Thanks.

Old March 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance?

Much too far to walk. An underground walkway connects T1, T2, and T3,
but not T4.

Is there a free shuttle?

There are airside connecting buses, which you should use if you're
connecting to another flight.

Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

You can take the Heathrow Express for free to the T1-T3 station,
then walk underground to T1, but the airside connecting bus will
probably be faster.

Old March 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On 30 Mar 2007 10:16:51 -0700 '
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I think I found all my answers simply by looking a couple of dozen
threads below this one.
But one more question: are flights from Heathrow to Ireland (not
Northern Ireland) considered "domestic"

Not afaik.
But at Heathrow the flights are not split between terminals only on
the basis of domestic or international but also based upon airlines
and anything else which comes into their minds.
eg - flying from LHR to Hong Kong on BA, you leave from T1.
Most other BA flights go from T4. Some Emirates flights to Dubai
go from T1 etc etc.

There are general guidelines but numerous exceptions to them.

- what are the customs
procedures when in transit at Heathrow between North America and
Ireland?

I've no idea ...I've never been to Ireland thanks!
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I think I found all my answers simply by looking a couple of dozen
threads below this one.
But one more question: are flights from Heathrow to Ireland (not
Northern Ireland) considered "domestic" - what are the customs
procedures when in transit at Heathrow between North America and
Ireland?

I assume that you are on a through ticket and that any baggage is checked
through to your final destination. Your Flights from Heathrow to the
Republic of Ireland are Domestic and you will need to go to Terminal 1
Domestic. You and your hand luggage will go through Immigration/Customs at
the Heathrow flight connection centre and your checked luggage will go
through Customs at your Irish Destination. That Customs check is usually
cursory or non-existent.

JohnT

Old March 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:31:27 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I think I found all my answers simply by looking a couple of dozen
threads below this one.
But one more question: are flights from Heathrow to Ireland (not
Northern Ireland) considered "domestic" - what are the customs
procedures when in transit at Heathrow between North America and
Ireland?

I assume that you are on a through ticket and that any baggage is checked
through to your final destination. Your Flights from Heathrow to the
Republic of Ireland are Domestic

Are you sure about that? The OP is not referring to NI.
I dunno ...just asking.
If Ireland is domestic, what does that make other EU members?

Old March 31st, 2007, 08:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT

"hummingbird" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:31:27 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

wrote in message
groups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
[...]

I am totally sure about that. There are no Passport controls between UK and
Ireland. Other EU members are either Schengen or not Schengen. For a
definitive answer about that you should read the Treaty of Rome and all of
the legislation which flows from it.

JohnT

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Farrow

hummingbird wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:31:27 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
How far is it from terminal 4 to terminal 1 (by distance and time)?
Walking distance? Is there a free shuttle? Can I take the "Heathrow
Express" train between terminals for free - or the Underground?

Thanks for any info you can give me.
I think I found all my answers simply by looking a couple of dozen
threads below this one.
But one more question: are flights from Heathrow to Ireland (not
Northern Ireland) considered "domestic" - what are the customs
procedures when in transit at Heathrow between North America and
Ireland?

I assume that you are on a through ticket and that any baggage is checked
through to your final destination. Your Flights from Heathrow to the
Republic of Ireland are Domestic

Are you sure about that? The OP is not referring to NI.
I dunno ...just asking.

There's a common travel area encompassing the UK and Eire (and the Isle
of Man and the Channel Islands, which are not part of the UK), so there
are no passport controls on flights to Eire from the UK. It's an
arrangement that has nothing to do with Schengen.

--

Stephen

Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:30:55 +0100 'Stephen Farrow'

hummingbird wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:31:27 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that's interesting to know.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:41:02 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

"hummingbird" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:31:27 +0100 'JohnT'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
On Mar 30, 12:51 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I didn't know that but I'm not sure where Schengen comes
into it. Passports are still required for visitors between the UK and
Schengen states afaik.

I think I'll give the ToR a miss for now... ;-)